Filter based on incoming account - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Filter based on incoming account - Mozilla ; Hi, I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based on message headers, but on the account it came from. I ...

  1. Filter based on incoming account

    Hi,

    I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am
    looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based on
    message headers, but on the account it came from. I am dealing with
    three separate accounts and I wish each one had its own Inbox.

    I guess you could tell me to create a To or Cc filter. But what if I am
    in the Bcc field, hen?

    Thanks,
    ib

  2. Re: Filter based on incoming account

    ib wrote On 13-May-2006 1:14 PM:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am
    > looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based on
    > message headers, but on the account it came from. I am dealing with
    > three separate accounts and I wish each one had its own Inbox.
    >
    > I guess you could tell me to create a To or Cc filter. But what if I am
    > in the Bcc field, hen?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ib

    You have the choice of separate inboxes per email account or you can use
    one global inbox. I use separate inboxes per email account so I can
    filter per email account.

    Here's the way I figure filtering and sorting. TB has filters per mail
    account, per news server, and per newsgroup. If I setup filters per mail
    account, I already know what the To: or Cc: address is -- it's one of my
    email aliases on that account. (Spam doesn't use the To:, From:, or Cc:
    headers anyway.)

    So I use From: filtering to sort my inboxes into Folders and then I use
    the junk mail control to catch the spam.

    --
    Kent

  3. Re: Filter based on incoming account

    ib wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am
    > looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based on
    > message headers, but on the account it came from. I am dealing with
    > three separate accounts and I wish each one had its own Inbox.

    Tools>>Account Settings>>[account]>>Server Settings Click on "Advanced"
    on lower right. Select "Inbox for this server's account"

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

  4. Re: Filter based on incoming account

    ib wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am
    > looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based
    > on message headers, but on the account it came from. I am dealing with
    > three separate accounts and I wish each one had its own Inbox.
    >
    > I guess you could tell me to create a To or Cc filter. But what if I
    > am in the Bcc field, hen?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > ib

    As others have stated, you can have separate inboxes for each account,
    you are not stuck with the global inbox.
    By using a global inbox setup, you have almost made it impossible to
    determine which account it was sent to if it was sent bcc.
    With a separate inbox (which you can set up in Thunderbird) its quite
    easy, if your address isnt TO or CC, then it was sent to you bcc

  5. Re: Filter based on incoming account

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > ib wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just switched from Outlook. Trying to keep my habits the same, I am
    >> looking for a message rule (or filter I should say) that is not based
    >> on message headers, but on the account it came from. I am dealing with
    >> three separate accounts and I wish each one had its own Inbox.
    >>

    > Tools>>Account Settings>>[account]>>Server Settings Click on "Advanced"
    > on lower right. Select "Inbox for this server's account"

    Thanks a lot to all three of you who replied. I love TB . I am happy
    now

    ib

  6. Re: Filter based on incoming account

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote On 14-May-2006 3:00 AM:

    > By using a global inbox setup, you have almost made it impossible to
    > determine which account it was sent to if it was sent bcc.
    > With a separate inbox (which you can set up in Thunderbird) its quite
    > easy, if your address isnt TO or CC, then it was sent to you bcc

    Some email servers take the RCPT address from the SMTP dialog and place
    it in an "Apparently-To" header. You can expand the headers and often
    determine from Apparently-To what alias some mailing list used. With
    disposable addresses, this is often a good way to see what web sites are
    selling access to your email address.

    --
    Kent

+ Reply to Thread