Signature - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Signature - Mozilla ; Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all outgoing TBird e-mails?...

  1. Signature

    Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all outgoing
    TBird e-mails?

  2. Re: Signature

    On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the keyboard

    > Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all outgoing
    > TBird e-mails?

    Hi Troy,

    Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save the
    file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you might wind
    up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the filename in quotes to
    prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools, Account Settings, click on the
    account on the left and on the right side click "Attach this signature".
    Click the Choose button to navigate to the file.

    You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML sig.
    Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: Signature

    Terry wrote:
    > On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    > > Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all outgoing
    > > TBird e-mails?
    > >

    > Hi Troy,
    >
    > Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save the
    > file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you might wind
    > up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the filename in quotes to
    > prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools, Account Settings, click on the
    > account on the left and on the right side click "Attach this signature".
    > Click the Choose button to navigate to the file.
    >
    > You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML sig.
    > Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.
    >
    > --
    > Terry

    Hi Terry,

    Thanks for your help - worked like a charm!

  4. Re: Signature

    Terry wrote:
    > On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all
    >> outgoing TBird e-mails?
    >>

    > Hi Troy,
    >
    > Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save the
    > file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you might wind
    > up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the filename in quotes
    > to prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools, Account Settings, click
    > on the account on the left and on the right side click "Attach this
    > signature". Click the Choose button to navigate to the file.
    >
    > You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML sig.
    > Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.

    Terry,

    Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    face="Papyrus">Steve

    File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?

    Steve

  5. Re: Signature

    Stephen Fox wrote:

    > Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    > face="Papyrus">Steve

    > File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?
    >
    > Steve

    are you composing in HTML mode ?

  6. Re: Signature

    On 5/12/2007 10:11 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry wrote:
    >> On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> Does anyone know how to attach a working HTML signature to all
    >>> outgoing TBird e-mails?
    >>>

    >> Hi Troy,
    >>
    >> Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save the
    >> file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you might wind
    >> up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the filename in quotes
    >> to prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools, Account Settings, click
    >> on the account on the left and on the right side click "Attach this
    >> signature". Click the Choose button to navigate to the file.
    >>
    >> You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML sig.
    >> Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.
    >>

    > Terry,
    >
    > Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    > face="Papyrus">Steve

    > File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?
    >
    > Steve

    "font" is an outdated way. Try this:

    Steve

    Are you sure the file is named sig2.htm and not sig2.htm.txt? You must
    have Explorer set to show extensions (Tools, Folder Options, View tab,
    uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

    Note that if the person you send the email to does not have the font
    Papyrus on their system, another one will be used that may not be to
    your liking. A lot of times a decorative font will be substituted with
    another decorative font that may or may not even be readable.

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/12/2007 10:11 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> Hi Troy,
    >>>
    >>> Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save
    >>> the file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you
    >>> might wind up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the
    >>> filename in quotes to prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools,
    >>> Account Settings, click on the account on the left and on the right
    >>> side click "Attach this signature". Click the Choose button to
    >>> navigate to the file.
    >>>
    >>> You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML
    >>> sig. Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    >> face="Papyrus">Steve

    >> File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > "font" is an outdated way. Try this:
    >

    > Steve
    >

    > Are you sure the file is named sig2.htm and not sig2.htm.txt? You must
    > have Explorer set to show extensions (Tools, Folder Options, View tab,
    > uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Note that if the person you send the email to does not have the font
    > Papyrus on their system, another one will be used that may not be to
    > your liking. A lot of times a decorative font will be substituted
    > with another decorative font that may or may not even be readable.

    Doing it on a Mac. No extension foul-up. I'll try the code you suggest.

    Steve

  8. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/12/2007 10:11 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 5/11/2006 1:55 PM On a whim, Troy Collins pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> Hi Troy,
    >>>
    >>> Using Notepad or another pure text editor, compose the HTML, save
    >>> the file as an HTM file (be careful of hidden extensions as you
    >>> might wind up with sig.htm.txt as the file name. Enclose the
    >>> filename in quotes to prevent that; "sig.htm"). Then use Tools,
    >>> Account Settings, click on the account on the left and on the right
    >>> side click "Attach this signature". Click the Choose button to
    >>> navigate to the file.
    >>>
    >>> You don't need the html or body tags, just the tags for your HTML
    >>> sig. Since the whole email is in HTML adding those is redundant.
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    >> face="Papyrus">Steve

    >> File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?
    >>
    >> Steve

    > "font" is an outdated way. Try this:
    >

    > Steve
    >

    > Are you sure the file is named sig2.htm and not sig2.htm.txt? You must
    > have Explorer set to show extensions (Tools, Folder Options, View tab,
    > uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >
    > Note that if the person you send the email to does not have the font
    > Papyrus on their system, another one will be used that may not be to
    > your liking. A lot of times a decorative font will be substituted
    > with another decorative font that may or may not even be readable.

    Terry,

    Your code doesn't work either. Thanks for the effort. Any other ideas?

    Steve

    --
    Steve

  9. Re: Signature

    On 5/13/2007 7:41 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Terry,
    >>>
    >>> Can't get your method to work. Here's my code:

    >>> face="Papyrus">Steve

    >>> File is named "sig2.htm." What am I not doing correctly?
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> "font" is an outdated way. Try this:
    >>

    >> Steve
    >>

    >> Are you sure the file is named sig2.htm and not sig2.htm.txt? You must
    >> have Explorer set to show extensions (Tools, Folder Options, View tab,
    >> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>
    >> Note that if the person you send the email to does not have the font
    >> Papyrus on their system, another one will be used that may not be to
    >> your liking. A lot of times a decorative font will be substituted
    >> with another decorative font that may or may not even be readable.
    >>

    > Terry,
    >
    > Your code doesn't work either. Thanks for the effort. Any other ideas?
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > --
    > Steve

    There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure everything?
    Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it, instead of htm
    (shouldn't make any difference)?

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/13/2007 7:41 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 5/12/2007 10:11 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> "font" is an outdated way. Try this:
    >>>

    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >>> Are you sure the file is named sig2.htm and not sig2.htm.txt? You
    >>> must have Explorer set to show extensions (Tools, Folder Options,
    >>> View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".
    >>>
    >>> Note that if the person you send the email to does not have the font
    >>> Papyrus on their system, another one will be used that may not be to
    >>> your liking. A lot of times a decorative font will be substituted
    >>> with another decorative font that may or may not even be readable.
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> Your code doesn't work either. Thanks for the effort. Any other ideas?
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve
    >>

    > There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure everything?
    > Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it, instead of htm
    > (shouldn't make any difference)?

    Terry,

    I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    Papyrus. Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at this
    point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.

    Steve

  11. Re: Signature

    On 5/13/2007 9:00 PM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Terry,
    >>>
    >>> Your code doesn't work either. Thanks for the effort. Any other ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure everything?
    >> Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it, instead of htm
    >> (shouldn't make any difference)?
    >>

    > Terry,
    >
    > I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    > Papyrus. Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at this
    > point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.
    >
    > Steve

    Does it work with other fonts? Maybe Papyrus has become corrupt?

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: Signature

    *-* On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:00:45 -0700,
    *-* In Article -PSdnVKSBdZwQ9rbnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Stephen Fox wrote
    *-* About Re: Signature

    > Terry R. wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >> There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure
    >> everything? Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it,
    >> instead of htm (shouldn't make any difference)?

    > Terry,

    > I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    > Papyrus.

    Was that on the same machine that you're using now.

    > Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at
    > this point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.

    Just a thought, but if you've switched machines the one you're
    now using might not have Papyrus installed on it.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  13. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/13/2007 9:00 PM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 5/13/2007 7:41 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure
    >>> everything? Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it,
    >>> instead of htm (shouldn't make any difference)?
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    >> Papyrus. Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at
    >> this point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Does it work with other fonts? Maybe Papyrus has become corrupt?

    Terry,

    Doesn't work with other fonts. I have links in the signature I want to
    post, but now also shows the coding. And the link is to the coding
    rather than the words.

    Steve

    --
    Steve

  14. Re: Signature

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:00:45 -0700,
    > *-* In Article -PSdnVKSBdZwQ9rbnZ2dnUVZ_rXinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Stephen Fox wrote
    > *-* About Re: Signature
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:

    > [ ... ]
    >
    >>> There's nothing wrong with the code. How did you configure
    >>> everything? Did you try the extension html just for the heck of it,
    >>> instead of htm (shouldn't make any difference)?

    >> Terry,

    >> I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    >> Papyrus.

    > Was that on the same machine that you're using now.
    >
    >> Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at
    >> this point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.

    > Just a thought, but if you've switched machines the one you're
    > now using might not have Papyrus installed on it.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    Ken,

    I had it working at one time on both my Mac and Dell. Now it works with
    neither. Does it have anything to do with my "send" options?

    Steve

    --
    Steve

  15. Re: Signature

    On 5/15/2007 7:40 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Terry,
    >>>
    >>> I had a similar signature before, then chucked it. Worked fine with
    >>> Papyrus. Now Papyrus doesn't seem to work. Not sure what to do at
    >>> this point. But it's no biggie, so what the hey.
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> Does it work with other fonts? Maybe Papyrus has become corrupt?
    >>

    > Terry,
    >
    > Doesn't work with other fonts. I have links in the signature I want to
    > post, but now also shows the coding. And the link is to the coding
    > rather than the words.
    >
    > Steve

    If you double-click your signature file, does it open in the browser and
    display correctly? It should. If so, it must be a setting in TB. If
    you're seeing the codes, it sounds like you're not composing in HTML.

    I'm guessing your sig file isn't being saved as an HTM or HTML file but
    as a text file. In your Windows machine, can you see all file
    extensions? I had a client on a Mac who kept trying to save a file as
    HTM but the editor he was using always saved it as a text file, even
    though he was saving it with a .HTM .

    --
    Terry R.

  16. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/15/2007 7:40 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 5/13/2007 9:00 PM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Does it work with other fonts? Maybe Papyrus has become corrupt?
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> Doesn't work with other fonts. I have links in the signature I want
    >> to post, but now also shows the coding. And the link is to the
    >> coding rather than the words.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > If you double-click your signature file, does it open in the browser
    > and display correctly? It should. If so, it must be a setting in
    > TB. If you're seeing the codes, it sounds like you're not composing
    > in HTML.
    >
    > I'm guessing your sig file isn't being saved as an HTM or HTML file
    > but as a text file. In your Windows machine, can you see all file
    > extensions? I had a client on a Mac who kept trying to save a file as
    > HTM but the editor he was using always saved it as a text file, even
    > though he was saving it with a .HTM .

    Terry,

    I'm composing in a text editor that I use for my Web site. Those pages
    are fine.

    The signature I had worked fine until now. Then it started showing the
    coding.

    Also, I use Papyrus sparingly on my Web site and my computer recognizes
    it. So, I have to conclude that Papyrus is there but TB is not
    recognizing it. TB 2, BTW.

    Steve

  17. Re: Signature

    On 5/15/2007 9:33 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Terry,
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't work with other fonts. I have links in the signature I want
    >>> to post, but now also shows the coding. And the link is to the
    >>> coding rather than the words.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> If you double-click your signature file, does it open in the browser
    >> and display correctly? It should. If so, it must be a setting in
    >> TB. If you're seeing the codes, it sounds like you're not composing
    >> in HTML.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing your sig file isn't being saved as an HTM or HTML file
    >> but as a text file. In your Windows machine, can you see all file
    >> extensions? I had a client on a Mac who kept trying to save a file as
    >> HTM but the editor he was using always saved it as a text file, even
    >> though he was saving it with a .HTM .
    >>

    > Terry,
    >
    > I'm composing in a text editor that I use for my Web site. Those pages
    > are fine.
    >
    > The signature I had worked fine until now. Then it started showing the
    > coding.
    >
    > Also, I use Papyrus sparingly on my Web site and my computer recognizes
    > it. So, I have to conclude that Papyrus is there but TB is not
    > recognizing it. TB 2, BTW.
    >
    > Steve

    Steve,

    Okay, but I need an answer to my question. If you double click your sig
    file, does it display properly in a browser? If yes, then your TB
    settings are off somewhere.

    Under Tools, Account Settings, Account-Composition & Addressing, you are
    set to Compose in HTML, correct?

    Under Tools, Options, Composition, Send Options button, your settings
    are set for HTML, correct?

    --
    Terry R.

  18. Re: Signature

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 5/15/2007 7:40 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 5/13/2007 9:00 PM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Does it work with other fonts? Maybe Papyrus has become corrupt?
    >>>

    >> Terry,
    >>
    >> Doesn't work with other fonts. I have links in the signature I want
    >> to post, but now also shows the coding. And the link is to the
    >> coding rather than the words.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > If you double-click your signature file, does it open in the browser
    > and display correctly? It should. If so, it must be a setting in
    > TB. If you're seeing the codes, it sounds like you're not composing
    > in HTML.
    >
    > I'm guessing your sig file isn't being saved as an HTM or HTML file
    > but as a text file. In your Windows machine, can you see all file
    > extensions? I had a client on a Mac who kept trying to save a file as
    > HTM but the editor he was using always saved it as a text file, even
    > though he was saving it with a .HTM .

    Terry,

    OK, problem solved.

    Changed these settings:
    send in HTML anyway
    allow other fonts

    Steve

  19. Re: Signature

    On 5/15/2007 9:42 AM On a whim, Stephen Fox pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry,
    >
    > OK, problem solved.
    >
    > Changed these settings:
    > send in HTML anyway