new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions - Mozilla ; greets to all. I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my download folder ever since. Today, I installed it and fired it up. Two things.............. 1)it went to update itself and said it found no ...

  1. new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions

    greets to all.

    I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my
    download folder ever since.
    Today, I installed it and fired it up.
    Two things..............

    1)it went to update itself and said it found no updates.....??? huh?
    The version I installed was/is 0.8, and the newer version is 1.5.0.2,,,,
    Something seems wrong there.

    2)How the bloody hell do you get to newsgroups??
    I spent ages scouring around TBird but could find no access point
    to the n/g's.
    If it is there, and no doubt it will be, I suggest the makers of TBird
    make
    it much more plain to see.
    It isnt under any of the menu's that I've seen.

    Oh, lastly, whats the deal with the damn password box that keeps coming
    up?

    TBird seems to me to have a similar feel and look to Firefox, and I am
    more than happy to try it out....... but until I get access to the n/g's,
    then I'm not really interested.

    Tbone steak,,,,, nice n' beefy.

  2. Re: new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions

    beefy wrote:
    > greets to all.
    >
    > I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my
    > download folder ever since.
    > Today, I installed it and fired it up.
    > Two things..............
    >
    > 1)it went to update itself and said it found no updates.....??? huh?
    > The version I installed was/is 0.8, and the newer version is 1.5.0.2,,,,
    > Something seems wrong there.
    >
    > 2)How the bloody hell do you get to newsgroups??
    > I spent ages scouring around TBird but could find no access point
    > to the n/g's.
    > If it is there, and no doubt it will be, I suggest the makers of TBird
    > make
    > it much more plain to see.
    > It isnt under any of the menu's that I've seen.
    >
    > Oh, lastly, whats the deal with the damn password box that keeps coming
    > up?
    >
    > TBird seems to me to have a similar feel and look to Firefox, and I am
    > more than happy to try it out....... but until I get access to the n/g's,
    > then I'm not really interested.
    >
    > Tbone steak,,,,, nice n' beefy.

    Hi,

    Nice to hear that you are trying TB.

    1. Not sure about automatic updates from such a big program version
    change. Someone else will for sure provide a more detailed answer
    whether or not this should work.

    Download the latest from:

    http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

    2. Tools | Account settings click Add account and specify News then
    enter the news server details.

    What password box, when does it appear? possibly for your email account?

    Ian

  3. Re: new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions

    Hearts wrote:
    > beefy wrote:
    >> greets to all.
    >>
    >> I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my
    >> download folder ever since.
    >> Today, I installed it and fired it up.
    >> Two things..............
    >>
    >> 1)it went to update itself and said it found no updates.....??? huh?
    >> The version I installed was/is 0.8, and the newer version is
    >> 1.5.0.2,,,,
    >> Something seems wrong there.
    >>
    >> 2)How the bloody hell do you get to newsgroups??
    >> I spent ages scouring around TBird but could find no access point
    >> to the n/g's.
    >> If it is there, and no doubt it will be, I suggest the makers of TBird
    >> make
    >> it much more plain to see.
    >> It isnt under any of the menu's that I've seen.
    >>
    >> Oh, lastly, whats the deal with the damn password box that keeps coming
    >> up?
    >>
    >> TBird seems to me to have a similar feel and look to Firefox, and I am
    >> more than happy to try it out....... but until I get access to the
    >> n/g's,
    >> then I'm not really interested.
    >>
    >> Tbone steak,,,,, nice n' beefy.
    >>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Nice to hear that you are trying TB.
    >
    > 1. Not sure about automatic updates from such a big program version
    > change. Someone else will for sure provide a more detailed answer
    > whether or not this should work.
    >
    > Download the latest from:
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
    >
    > 2. Tools | Account settings click Add account and specify News then
    > enter the news server details.
    >
    > What password box, when does it appear? possibly for your email account?
    >
    > Ian

    Correct. There were many substantial changes in update, automatic update
    et al in versions subsequent to 0.8
    Suggest you download the latest version (1.5.0.2) and install that.

  4. Re: new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions

    beefy wrote:

    > greets to all.
    >
    > I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my
    > download folder ever since.
    > Today, I installed it and fired it up.
    > Two things..............
    >
    > 1)it went to update itself and said it found no updates.....??? huh?
    > The version I installed was/is 0.8, and the newer version is 1.5.0.2,,,,
    > Something seems wrong there.

    There is a version of 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.2. The update feature from
    1.0.8 was broken and doesn't recognize the 1.5 versions

    > 2)How the bloody hell do you get to newsgroups??
    > I spent ages scouring around TBird but could find no access point
    > to the n/g's.
    > If it is there, and no doubt it will be, I suggest the makers of TBird
    > make
    > it much more plain to see.
    > It isnt under any of the menu's that I've seen.

    You set up newsgroups just about the same way you do in Outlook
    Express. Tools, Account Settings, on the bottom left is Add Account

    > Oh, lastly, whats the deal with the damn password box that keeps coming
    > up?

    Which password box? There are 2. One asking you for the Master
    Password, or the one asking for each of your mail accounts? Have you
    checked the little box that says "Remember Password?"

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains
    on all fours? They're both dogs!

  5. Re: new T/Bird user with a Couple of Questions

    gwtc wrote:

    > beefy wrote:
    >

    >> greets to all.
    >>
    >>I had downloaded TBird a while ago, it has been sitting in my
    >>download folder ever since.
    >>Today, I installed it and fired it up.
    >>Two things..............
    >>
    >>1)it went to update itself and said it found no updates.....??? huh?
    >> The version I installed was/is 0.8, and the newer version is 1.5.0.2,,,,
    >> Something seems wrong there.
    >>

    > There is a version of 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.2. The update feature from
    > 1.0.8 was broken and doesn't recognize the 1.5 versions
    >

    >>2)How the bloody hell do you get to newsgroups??
    >> I spent ages scouring around TBird but could find no access point
    >> to the n/g's.
    >> If it is there, and no doubt it will be, I suggest the makers of TBird
    >>make
    >> it much more plain to see.
    >> It isnt under any of the menu's that I've seen.
    >>

    > You set up newsgroups just about the same way you do in Outlook
    > Express. Tools, Account Settings, on the bottom left is Add Account

    Oh and I forgot. Where to find the support help? On the Mozilla
    websites under support: http://www.mozilla.com/support/ and
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/

    --
    Things to Ponder about: Why does Goofy stand erect while Pluto remains
    on all fours? They're both dogs!

+ Reply to Thread