Tb won't connect to isp after downloading "security Update" - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tb won't connect to isp after downloading "security Update" - Mozilla ; I hope someone can help me. On April 23, 2006 I was using TB to send several emails. I sent a couple successfully as I have been for some months now. While I was writing another a screen popped up ...

  1. Tb won't connect to isp after downloading "security Update"

    I hope someone can help me. On April 23, 2006 I was using TB to send
    several emails. I sent a couple successfully as I have been for some months
    now. While I was writing another a screen popped up saying that TB had an
    update to install. I installed the update and went back to writing my
    emails. Ever since the install TB will not send or receive Emails.

    The Update History dialog box states the following:

    Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 (2006030805)
    Security update
    Installed on: Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:09:25 PM

    The error messages I get are:

    On trying to send ..... "The message could not be sent because the SMTP
    server failed...."
    On trying to download messages .... "Could not connect to server --------,
    the connection was refused"

    Now I know that it is not the server because I can review my messages on the
    server through Mailwasher as I have always done and I can download and send
    messages through outlook express as I am sending this message.

    Nothing changed between the success and failure except downloading and
    installing the above "TB update"

    Any suggestions.

    thanks

    Al Barnes

  2. Re: Tb won't connect to isp after downloading "security Update"

    Al Barnes wrote:
    > I hope someone can help me. On April 23, 2006 I was using TB to send
    > several emails. I sent a couple successfully as I have been for some months
    > now. While I was writing another a screen popped up saying that TB had an
    > update to install. I installed the update and went back to writing my
    > emails. Ever since the install TB will not send or receive Emails.
    >
    > The Update History dialog box states the following:
    >
    > Thunderbird 1.5.0.2 (2006030805)
    > Security update
    > Installed on: Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:09:25 PM
    >
    > The error messages I get are:
    >
    > On trying to send ..... "The message could not be sent because the SMTP
    > server failed...."
    > On trying to download messages .... "Could not connect to server --------,
    > the connection was refused"
    >
    > Now I know that it is not the server because I can review my messages on the
    > server through Mailwasher as I have always done and I can download and send
    > messages through outlook express as I am sending this message.
    >
    > Nothing changed between the success and failure except downloading and
    > installing the above "TB update"
    >
    > Any suggestions.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Al Barnes

    Well I guess I wouldn't let an update take place while I was in the
    middle of another action, but that's a bit late for you.

    1. Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Passwords>View Passwords
    Select (all of) your mailbox password(s) and Remove them.

    Can you send email now? (You should be prompted for name and password)

    If not:

    2. Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing Server (bottom of account list)
    Take a look at the settings of (one of the) servers and see if it looks
    right. If you can't tell, tell us what it says. Or even better, click
    on Edit and post a picture of what it says.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*