Export News for knowledge base application - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Export News for knowledge base application - Mozilla ; Hi Is it possible to export a news list to a (say text) file. It would need to include headers and messages. I am looking at setting up an internal knowledge base. Regards Ian Simpson...

  1. Export News for knowledge base application

    Hi
    Is it possible to export a news list to a (say text) file.

    It would need to include headers and messages.

    I am looking at setting up an internal knowledge base.

    Regards
    Ian Simpson

  2. Re: Export News for knowledge base application

    Ian Simpson wrote:
    > Hi
    > Is it possible to export a news list to a (say text) file.
    >
    > It would need to include headers and messages.
    >
    > I am looking at setting up an internal knowledge base.
    >
    > Regards
    > Ian Simpson

    You should be able to do something like this if you opt to download
    messages for offline reading. The stuff is essentially inside two files,
    e. g.:

    C:\Documents and Settings\\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\.default\News\news.mozilla.org\the.newsgroups.name

    and

    C:\Documents and Settings\\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\.default\News\news.mozilla.org\the.newsgroups.name .msf

    Unless you're a wizard, forget about the msf file. The first one,
    carrying the name of the newsgroup only, is in plain text mbox format,
    which should be well documented and can be read with any old text editor.

    You'll loose things that are in the msf (index) file, but the message
    contents are all there, including header stuff like "In-Reply-To:",
    "Message-ID:" etc. etc..

    HTH, BR,
    Gudmund

  3. Re: Export News for knowledge base application

    On 20-04-2006 06:05 CET, Ian Simpson composed this enchanting statement:
    > Hi
    > Is it possible to export a news list to a (say text) file.
    >
    > It would need to include headers and messages.
    >
    > I am looking at setting up an internal knowledge base.

    Without any special effort you can build an archive of messages, in a
    Local Folder.

    Create a message filter for the newsgroups to copy their inbound news
    messages into the assigned local folder, your archive. The added value:
    all the message search facilities are readily available.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

+ Reply to Thread