Large attachment timing out - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Large attachment timing out - Mozilla ; Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but when I tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave me a lot of guff about my smtp server failing). Office Outlook coped ...

  1. Large attachment timing out

    Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but when I
    tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave me a
    lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    Any answers?
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  2. Re: Large attachment timing out

    On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:

    > Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but when I
    > tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave me a
    > lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    > Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    > Any answers?

    Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.

    I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to send
    it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size limit ....
    of "something" ".

    I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It went
    peacefully.

    And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    that it was server restriction in any case.

    It is TB's internal limit.

    --

  3. Re: Large attachment timing out

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:41:38 +0530, V S Rawat wrote:

    > On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:
    >
    >> Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but when I
    >> tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave me a
    >> lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    >> Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    >> Any answers?

    > Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >
    > I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to send
    > it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size limit ....
    > of "something" ".
    >
    > I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It went
    > peacefully.
    >
    > And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    > any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    > that it was server restriction in any case.
    >
    > It is TB's internal limit.

    In my case it was Avast virus which set the limit (but it can be changed)
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

  4. Re: Large attachment timing out

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:
    >
    >> Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but
    >> when I
    >> tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave
    >> me a
    >> lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    >> Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    >> Any answers?

    > Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >
    > I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to send
    > it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size limit ....
    > of "something" ".
    >
    > I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It went
    > peacefully.
    >
    > And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    > any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    > that it was server restriction in any case.
    >
    > It is TB's internal limit.

    If you are referring to the "Disk Space" option in TB 1.5's account
    settings, it can indeed be changed ...have it unchecked here and don't
    face problems like that, but then this is a DSL connection and the
    option isn't really needed.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

    .. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html

  5. Re: Large attachment timing out

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >> On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but
    >>> when I
    >>> tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it
    >>> gave me a
    >>> lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    >>> Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    >>> Any answers?

    >> Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >>
    >> I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to
    >> send it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size
    >> limit .... of "something" ".
    >>
    >> I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It
    >> went peacefully.
    >>
    >> And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    >> any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    >> that it was server restriction in any case.
    >>
    >> It is TB's internal limit.
    >>

    > If you are referring to the "Disk Space" option in TB 1.5's account
    > settings, it can indeed be changed ...have it unchecked here and don't
    > face problems like that, but then this is a DSL connection and the
    > option isn't really needed.

    I had a related problem. I tried to send a relatively small attachment
    (25kb) to a large number of addressees (like 18) and was told that the
    file was too large and that the server would not accept. Anybody else
    had this problem sending to groups? Anybody have thoughts about
    workarounds? Thanks.

  6. Re: Large attachment timing out

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:
    >
    >> Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but
    >> when I
    >> tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave
    >> me a
    >> lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    >> Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    >> Any answers?

    > Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >
    > I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to send
    > it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size limit ....
    > of "something" ".
    >
    > I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It went
    > peacefully.
    >
    > And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    > any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    > that it was server restriction in any case.
    >
    > It is TB's internal limit.

    No, it is NOT TB's size limit.

    Each mail server has its OWN limitations on message size. Some, like
    GMAIL are unlimited, some are 2MB, the most common is 5MB.

    The 'something' you saw in the error message is the limitation, not
    Thunderbird!

    Each mail server has specific size limitations. They can be on a per
    message basis, or they can be on the remote servers total size. For
    example, on some accounts the TOTAL size of the mailbox is 2mb, so if
    you were sending to them, there is no way they could hold a 5mb message,
    so it will be rejected. Even with a total size of 10mb (common in the
    industry), if the user hadnt downloaded lately, and it was over half
    full, then the message would again be rejected.

  7. Re: Large attachment timing out

    Jim wrote:
    > Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >> V S Rawat wrote:

    >>> Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >>>
    >>> I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to
    >>> send it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size
    >>> limit .... of "something" ".
    >>>
    >>> I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It
    >>> went peacefully.
    >>>
    >>> And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing.
    >>> In any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't
    >>> think that it was server restriction in any case.
    >>>
    >>> It is TB's internal limit.
    >>>

    >> If you are referring to the "Disk Space" option in TB 1.5's account
    >> settings, it can indeed be changed ...have it unchecked here and don't
    >> face problems like that, but then this is a DSL connection and the
    >> option isn't really needed.
    >>

    > I had a related problem. I tried to send a relatively small attachment
    > (25kb) to a large number of addressees (like 18) and was told that the
    > file was too large and that the server would not accept. Anybody else
    > had this problem sending to groups? Anybody have thoughts about
    > workarounds? Thanks.

    Some servers have a limit on how many addressees can be in any one mail.
    I have heard limits of 11, or 20 and 25. This is a measure introduced by
    the specific server to limit outbound spam. Find out if your specific
    server has a limitation on the number of recipients, if they do, then
    keep your mail within that limitation, or find another mail server!

    For example, I once had a provider who limited the number to 11. All I
    did was group my mailing lists to 10 or less. If I wanted to send to 30
    people, then I sent 3 distinct messages (all the same).

    Disk Space referes ONLY to mail being saved on your computer. It has
    nothing to do with sending capabilities.

  8. Re: Large attachment timing out

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > V S Rawat wrote:
    >
    >>On 3/27/2006 6:42 PM India Time, _Jim Scott_ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Received a large 2.75 Mb .wmv file via both SeaMonkey and Tbird, but
    >>>when I
    >>>tried to forward it with either program it timed-out (although it gave
    >>>me a
    >>>lot of guff about my smtp server failing).
    >>>Office Outlook coped with no problem.
    >>>Any answers?

    >>Same problem I also had almost the same time you had that.
    >>
    >>I had download a 5,319 KB mp3 file from cooltoad, and when tried to send
    >>it through a mail in TB, it said "it is larger than the size limit ....
    >>of "something" ".
    >>
    >>I went to gmail, composed a mail, attached that file, and sent. It went
    >>peacefully.
    >>
    >>And I am using gmail smtp for that server for whom I was composing. In
    >>any case, I had "send later" instead of "send now", so I don't think
    >>that it was server restriction in any case.
    >>
    >>It is TB's internal limit.
    >>

    > No, it is NOT TB's size limit.
    >
    > Each mail server has its OWN limitations on message size. Some, like
    > GMAIL are unlimited, some are 2MB, the most common is 5MB.
    >
    > The 'something' you saw in the error message is the limitation, not
    > Thunderbird!
    >
    > Each mail server has specific size limitations. They can be on a per
    > message basis, or they can be on the remote servers total size. For
    > example, on some accounts the TOTAL size of the mailbox is 2mb, so if
    > you were sending to them, there is no way they could hold a 5mb message,
    > so it will be rejected. Even with a total size of 10mb (common in the
    > industry), if the user hadnt downloaded lately, and it was over half
    > full, then the message would again be rejected.

    and don't forget that if you're sending in both plain text and html,
    then that message size can add up. So, to make the message smaller,
    send in text mode, and zip the file, if possible.

    --
    Time for another change

  9. Re: Large attachment timing out

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> Brian J. Graham wrote:

    >>> If you are referring to the "Disk Space" option in TB 1.5's account
    >>> settings, it can indeed be changed ...have it unchecked here and
    >>> don't face problems like that, but then this is a DSL connection and
    >>> the option isn't really needed.
    >>>

    >> I had a related problem. I tried to send a relatively small
    >> attachment (25kb) to a large number of addressees (like 18) and was
    >> told that the file was too large and that the server would not
    >> accept. Anybody else had this problem sending to groups? Anybody
    >> have thoughts about workarounds? Thanks.

    > Some servers have a limit on how many addressees can be in any one mail.
    > I have heard limits of 11, or 20 and 25. This is a measure introduced by
    > the specific server to limit outbound spam. Find out if your specific
    > server has a limitation on the number of recipients, if they do, then
    > keep your mail within that limitation, or find another mail server!
    >
    > For example, I once had a provider who limited the number to 11. All I
    > did was group my mailing lists to 10 or less. If I wanted to send to 30
    > people, then I sent 3 distinct messages (all the same).
    >
    > Disk Space referes ONLY to mail being saved on your computer. It has
    > nothing to do with sending capabilities.

    Dan, I would happily accept this explanation except for two problems:
    1) I am consistently able to send messages to the same number of
    recipients using Outlook or from my email host's webmail application
    without a problem and 2) the error message I receive from TB said the
    message was too large not that there were too many recipients. This
    leads me to believe that it is a TB problem not one with the server.
    Thanks.
    Jim

  10. Re: Large attachment timing out

    Jim wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Jim wrote:

    >>> I had a related problem. I tried to send a relatively small
    >>> attachment (25kb) to a large number of addressees (like 18) and was
    >>> told that the file was too large and that the server would not
    >>> accept. Anybody else had this problem sending to groups? Anybody
    >>> have thoughts about workarounds? Thanks.

    >> Some servers have a limit on how many addressees can be in any one
    >> mail. I have heard limits of 11, or 20 and 25. This is a measure
    >> introduced by the specific server to limit outbound spam. Find out if
    >> your specific server has a limitation on the number of recipients, if
    >> they do, then keep your mail within that limitation, or find another
    >> mail server!
    >>
    >> For example, I once had a provider who limited the number to 11. All I
    >> did was group my mailing lists to 10 or less. If I wanted to send to
    >> 30 people, then I sent 3 distinct messages (all the same).
    >>
    >> Disk Space referes ONLY to mail being saved on your computer. It has
    >> nothing to do with sending capabilities.

    > Dan, I would happily accept this explanation except for two problems: 1)
    > I am consistently able to send messages to the same number of recipients
    > using Outlook or from my email host's webmail application without a
    > problem and 2) the error message I receive from TB said the message was
    > too large not that there were too many recipients. This leads me to
    > believe that it is a TB problem not one with the server. Thanks.
    > Jim

    TB doesnt have a size limitation on mail, it will send anything as long
    as the server accepts it.

    Remember, not all mailboxes are equal. Most are 10mb, some are
    unlimited, and there are a few of 2 or 3mb capacity. If you are sending
    a large email and one of the recipients cant take it, then the send will
    fail. Some servers even have a per piece size limitation (but only on
    sending usually).

    Can you send to the same 25 addresses a simple text message? If so, then
    it isnt a number of recipients problem. To check if it is a size
    problem, then prepare the message and try sending it with TB, if it
    fails, then try sending the message in OE - if it also fails, then it is
    a pure size issue (if the plain text message went thru)

+ Reply to Thread