Outside: download self mails from gmail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Outside: download self mails from gmail - Mozilla ; It is obviously offtopic for this ng, as the cause of problem lies with gmail. But, TB 1.5 is my mailreader, so I hope to get some tips about it here. If you send some mails with your own gmail ...

  1. Outside: download self mails from gmail

    It is obviously offtopic for this ng, as the cause of problem
    lies with gmail.

    But, TB 1.5 is my mailreader, so I hope to get some tips about
    it here.

    If you send some mails with your own gmail account in FROM: id,
    and send the mail to yourself in to, cc, bcc, gmail does not
    allow you to download such mails in pop3 download.

    So, if you are going to gmail site and are sending some mails,
    ccing to yourself, you just can't download them in TB due to
    gmail's policy, if I understand this mechanism correctly.

    Now, I do want those mails to reach my TB, so that I can safely
    keep them for future reference.

    Could anyone please suggest some getaround how can I download
    such mails from gmail to TB?
    ---------

    Instead of going to gmail site and sending the mails from there,
    why don't I sent those mails from TB itself so that I keep the
    "sent copies".

    Hmm! say, I am having some 3 gmail accounts, one of them being
    my primary public pop3 account, and the same is set as my FROM:,
    and the same smtp is my default smtp.

    If I reply with any of the other two gmail accounts (which are
    not public, and are primarily for receiving mails), I will have
    to change the smtp server also, every time I post from that
    alias, because gmail smtp forces its own smtp's id in the from:
    field.

    There is a possibility that sometime I forget to switch the smtp
    server, and gmail sends my those mails declaring my this alias
    to the world. To avoid that, I find it safe to go to gmail site
    itself for such mails, and send mails from there.
    ------------

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks.
    --

  2. Re: Outside: download self mails from gmail

    On 3/4/2006 7:40 AM V S Rawat scribbled:

    > It is obviously offtopic for this ng, as the cause of problem
    > lies with gmail.
    >
    > But, TB 1.5 is my mailreader, so I hope to get some tips about
    > it here.
    >
    > If you send some mails with your own gmail account in FROM: id,
    > and send the mail to yourself in to, cc, bcc, gmail does not
    > allow you to download such mails in pop3 download.
    >
    > So, if you are going to gmail site and are sending some mails,
    > ccing to yourself, you just can't download them in TB due to
    > gmail's policy, if I understand this mechanism correctly.

    sounds like gmail is blocking itself???
    some believe thats not a bad idea - gmail is not too popular in the
    anti-spam crowd...

    > Now, I do want those mails to reach my TB, so that I can safely
    > keep them for future reference.
    >
    > Could anyone please suggest some getaround how can I download
    > such mails from gmail to TB?

    talk to gmail if they are blocking - no getting around that with TB, but
    I may not understand you're question...

    > ---------
    >
    > Instead of going to gmail site and sending the mails from there,
    > why don't I sent those mails from TB itself so that I keep the
    > "sent copies".

    I don't know - you can configure TB for gmail...

    > Hmm! say, I am having some 3 gmail accounts, one of them being
    > my primary public pop3 account, and the same is set as my FROM:,
    > and the same smtp is my default smtp.
    >
    > If I reply with any of the other two gmail accounts (which are
    > not public, and are primarily for receiving mails), I will have
    > to change the smtp server also, every time I post from that
    > alias, because gmail smtp forces its own smtp's id in the from:
    > field.
    >
    > There is a possibility that sometime I forget to switch the smtp
    > server, and gmail sends my those mails declaring my this alias
    > to the world. To avoid that, I find it safe to go to gmail site
    > itself for such mails, and send mails from there.
    > ------------
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I need 2 aspirin - all this SMTP changing gives me a headache -
    hopefully some guru will respond to this issue...

    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Outside: download self mails from gmail

    V S Rawat wrote:
    > It is obviously offtopic for this ng, as the cause of problem
    > lies with gmail.
    >
    > But, TB 1.5 is my mailreader, so I hope to get some tips about
    > it here.
    >
    > If you send some mails with your own gmail account in FROM: id,
    > and send the mail to yourself in to, cc, bcc, gmail does not
    > allow you to download such mails in pop3 download.
    >
    > So, if you are going to gmail site and are sending some mails,
    > ccing to yourself, you just can't download them in TB due to
    > gmail's policy, if I understand this mechanism correctly.
    >
    > Now, I do want those mails to reach my TB, so that I can safely
    > keep them for future reference.
    >
    > Could anyone please suggest some getaround how can I download
    > such mails from gmail to TB?

    Thanks for posting this, Rawat. I (and apparently a few others) have
    just been having problems with this. It seems that mails do get through
    when using another (non-gmail) SMTP, but still using the gmail address
    as From: address.

    I got the impression that only a very few of the mails I sent with TB
    via gmail SMTP reached e. g. Yahoo groups at all, judging from what I
    could see in the Yahoo groups web interface, so I thought it was the
    gmail SMTP being flaky. It seems I'll have to double-check that...

    BR,
    Gudmund

  4. Re: OT: download self mails from gmail

    _V S Rawat_ spoke thusly on 04/03/2006 10:40 AM:
    > It is obviously offtopic for this ng, as the cause of problem
    > lies with gmail.

    Please send off topic discussion to mozilla.general. Thanks.
    Also, the correct method of marking a message as off-topic is to prefix
    the subject with OT: or [OT].
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator