Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB? - Mozilla ; Hi, after experiencing oddities with my new gmail account and some mailing lists (e. g. Yahoo groups: I receive list mail, but mostly can't get my own posts through to them), I decided to check things out. Among other things, ...

  1. Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Hi,

    after experiencing oddities with my new gmail account and some mailing
    lists (e. g. Yahoo groups: I receive list mail, but mostly can't get my
    own posts through to them), I decided to check things out.

    Among other things, I changed my gmail password, via web, and could then
    not access any mail there via POP from TB. I didn't get prompted for a
    password, only got messages to the effect that username and password
    were not accepted, and that my connection attempts were rejected.

    So, I went into my TB account settings to change the passwords
    correspondingly, only to discover that I couldn't discover any place
    where to change it...

    Where and how is it done?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  2. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > after experiencing oddities with my new gmail account and some mailing
    > lists (e. g. Yahoo groups: I receive list mail, but mostly can't get my
    > own posts through to them), I decided to check things out.
    >
    > Among other things, I changed my gmail password, via web, and could then
    > not access any mail there via POP from TB. I didn't get prompted for a
    > password, only got messages to the effect that username and password
    > were not accepted, and that my connection attempts were rejected.
    >
    > So, I went into my TB account settings to change the passwords
    > correspondingly, only to discover that I couldn't discover any place
    > where to change it...
    >
    > Where and how is it done?
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Hi,

    Within TB go to:

    "Tools" | "Options"

    Select:

    "Privacy" then "Password"

    Click on:

    "View saved password"

    Ian

  3. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Hearts 1874 wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> after experiencing oddities with my new gmail account and some mailing
    >> lists (e. g. Yahoo groups: I receive list mail, but mostly can't get my
    >> own posts through to them), I decided to check things out.
    >>
    >> Among other things, I changed my gmail password, via web, and could then
    >> not access any mail there via POP from TB. I didn't get prompted for a
    >> password, only got messages to the effect that username and password
    >> were not accepted, and that my connection attempts were rejected.
    >>
    >> So, I went into my TB account settings to change the passwords
    >> correspondingly, only to discover that I couldn't discover any place
    >> where to change it...
    >>
    >> Where and how is it done?
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Hi,
    >
    > Within TB go to:
    >
    > "Tools" | "Options"
    >
    > Select:
    >
    > "Privacy" then "Password"
    >
    > Click on:
    >
    > "View saved password"
    >
    > Ian

    Yes, been there, viewed them, but how do you *change* one? I couldn't
    find a way to do it, unless prompted by e. g. the pop server.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  4. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Hearts 1874 wrote:
    >> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> after experiencing oddities with my new gmail account and some mailing
    >>> lists (e. g. Yahoo groups: I receive list mail, but mostly can't get my
    >>> own posts through to them), I decided to check things out.
    >>>
    >>> Among other things, I changed my gmail password, via web, and could then
    >>> not access any mail there via POP from TB. I didn't get prompted for a
    >>> password, only got messages to the effect that username and password
    >>> were not accepted, and that my connection attempts were rejected.
    >>>
    >>> So, I went into my TB account settings to change the passwords
    >>> correspondingly, only to discover that I couldn't discover any place
    >>> where to change it...
    >>>
    >>> Where and how is it done?
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Within TB go to:
    >>
    >> "Tools" | "Options"
    >>
    >> Select:
    >>
    >> "Privacy" then "Password"
    >>
    >> Click on:
    >>
    >> "View saved password"
    >>
    >> Ian

    > Yes, been there, viewed them, but how do you *change* one? I couldn't
    > find a way to do it, unless prompted by e. g. the pop server.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    You cant.

    Just delete the old one for gmail and then try reading your gmail
    account; you should be be prompted to enter a password, and optionally
    save it.

    Ian

  5. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Hearts 1874 wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Hearts 1874 wrote:

    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Within TB go to:
    >>>
    >>> "Tools" | "Options"
    >>>
    >>> Select:
    >>>
    >>> "Privacy" then "Password"
    >>>
    >>> Click on:
    >>>
    >>> "View saved password"
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> Yes, been there, viewed them, but how do you *change* one? I couldn't
    >> find a way to do it, unless prompted by e. g. the pop server.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > You cant.
    >
    > Just delete the old one for gmail and then try reading your gmail
    > account; you should be be prompted to enter a password, and optionally
    > save it.

    Hmmm... The only thing accomplished, is that I no longer can see the
    (old) password in plain text. This doesn't remove the password from the
    account settings.

    The problem after that, is that I don't get prompted by the POP server
    for a new password. If it worked before, it keeps working, if it didn't,
    I only get rejected, not prompted.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  6. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Hearts 1874 wrote:
    >> Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    >>> Yes, been there, viewed them, but how do you *change* one? I couldn't
    >>> find a way to do it, unless prompted by e. g. the pop server.
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund

    >> You cant.
    >>
    >> Just delete the old one for gmail and then try reading your gmail
    >> account; you should be be prompted to enter a password, and optionally
    >> save it.

    > Hmmm... The only thing accomplished, is that I no longer can see the
    > (old) password in plain text. This doesn't remove the password from the
    > account settings.
    >
    > The problem after that, is that I don't get prompted by the POP server
    > for a new password. If it worked before, it keeps working, if it didn't,
    > I only get rejected, not prompted.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Correction: on restarting TB, I did get prompted after removing the
    password via Tools > Options > Privacy > Password > View Saved Password
    > (selecting password) > Remove.

    Thanks, Hearts 1874

    BR
    Gudmund

  7. Re: Where/how to change passwords to servers in TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Hearts 1874 wrote:

    >>> You cant.
    >>>
    >>> Just delete the old one for gmail and then try reading your gmail
    >>> account; you should be be prompted to enter a password, and optionally
    >>> save it.

    >> Hmmm... The only thing accomplished, is that I no longer can see the
    >> (old) password in plain text. This doesn't remove the password from the
    >> account settings.
    >>
    >> The problem after that, is that I don't get prompted by the POP server
    >> for a new password. If it worked before, it keeps working, if it didn't,
    >> I only get rejected, not prompted.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Correction: on restarting TB, I did get prompted after removing the
    > password via Tools > Options > Privacy > Password > View Saved Password
    >> (selecting password) > Remove.

    > Thanks, Hearts 1874
    >
    > BR
    > Gudmund

    Never sure what options/changes require a restart, should have just
    suggested it anyway.

    At least your problem is solved.

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread