Quoting Header Options - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Quoting Header Options - Mozilla ; While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for newsgroups, what I want for email is the more formal "from/to/sent/subject" header that is found in Outlook Express. I use email for business, and I need the more formal ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Quoting Header Options

  1. Quoting Header Options

    While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for newsgroups,
    what I want for email is the more formal "from/to/sent/subject" header that
    is found in Outlook Express. I use email for business, and I need the more
    formal header because (at least for now) it's accepted in most cases as a
    legal paper trail, but the Thunderbird default headers are not.

    How do I get this more formal header in Thunderbird?



  2. Re: Quoting Header Options

    _Abcom_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 2:28 PM:
    > While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for newsgroups,
    > what I want for email is the more formal "from/to/sent/subject" header that
    > is found in Outlook Express. I use email for business, and I need the more
    > formal header because (at least for now) it's accepted in most cases as a
    > legal paper trail, but the Thunderbird default headers are not.
    >
    > How do I get this more formal header in Thunderbird?


    Unfortunately no, but there is a workaround.
    Click on 'Forward' instead of 'Reply', and fill in the address of the
    person you are replying to.
    (You need to forward inline, for it to work.)
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links
    (Please do not email me tech support questions)

  3. Re: Quoting Header Options

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Abcom_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 2:28 PM:
    >> While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for
    >> newsgroups, what I want for email is the more formal
    >> "from/to/sent/subject" header that is found in Outlook Express. I use
    >> email for business, and I need the more formal header because (at least
    >> for now) it's accepted in most cases as a legal paper trail, but the
    >> Thunderbird default headers are not.
    >>
    >> How do I get this more formal header in Thunderbird?

    >
    > Unfortunately no, but there is a workaround.
    > Click on 'Forward' instead of 'Reply', and fill in the address of the
    > person you are replying to.
    > (You need to forward inline, for it to work.)
    > --
    > Chris Ilias
    > mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    > Mozilla links
    > (Please do not email me tech support questions)


    Thank you -- it's a bit of a hassle, but it works...



  4. Re: Quoting Header Options

    Abcom wrote:
    > While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for newsgroups,
    > what I want for email is the more formal "from/to/sent/subject" header that
    > is found in Outlook Express. I use email for business, and I need the more
    > formal header because (at least for now) it's accepted in most cases as a
    > legal paper trail, but the Thunderbird default headers are not.
    >
    > How do I get this more formal header in Thunderbird?
    >
    >



    Paolo Kaosmos' Changequote extension is what you're looking for since
    you don't mind the newsgroup default quote headers:

    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2626


    Another option would be Frank DiLecce's extension

    http://supportware.net/mozilla/#ext7

    Needs a bit of tweaking to get the desired result but it works.

    --
    Regards,
    Sparx


    Tagline:

    "The gap between the Ferrari Enzo and the Mercedes SLR is as wide as the
    gap between Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard." -- Jeremy Clarkson,
    Host of "Top Gear"

  5. Re: Quoting Header Options

    Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote:
    > Abcom wrote:
    >> While the "xxx wrote:" quoting header in Thunderbird is fine for
    >> newsgroups, what I want for email is the more formal
    >> "from/to/sent/subject" header that is found in Outlook Express.
    >> I use email for business, and I need the more formal header
    >> because (at least for now) it's accepted in most cases as a
    >> legal paper trail, but the Thunderbird default headers are not.
    >>
    >> How do I get this more formal header in Thunderbird?
    >>

    >
    >
    > Paolo Kaosmos' Changequote extension is what you're looking for since
    > you don't mind the newsgroup default quote headers:
    >
    > http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=2626
    >
    >
    > Another option would be Frank DiLecce's extension
    >
    > http://supportware.net/mozilla/#ext7
    >
    > Needs a bit of tweaking to get the desired result but it works.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Sparx
    >


    THANK YOU! The Changequote extension was exactly what I was looking for!
    By any chance do you know of an extension that will remove the ">"
    characters at the start of each line? After all, the header says
    "Original Message", and those characters weren't in the original
    message...


  6. Re: Quoting Header Options

    Abcom wrote:

    >
    > THANK YOU! The Changequote extension was exactly what I was looking for!
    > By any chance do you know of an extension that will remove the ">"
    > characters at the start of each line? After all, the header says
    > "Original Message", and those characters weren't in the original
    > message...
    >



    Normally accepted practice is to indicate the quoted part of your
    message with > or | characters to distinguish your reply from it.

    In any case, there are times when a message may arrive with far too many
    levels of forwarded indentation. A utility like StripMail or
    EmailStripper (both freeware) helps in removing multiple quote levels
    and also putting in a single level of quote marks.

    URL = http://www.dsoft.com.tr/stripmail/

    URL = http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm
    ----------------------------------
    You might also try the following:

    Click TOOLS > OPTIONS > ADVANCED [ General Tab ]

    Click the CONFIG EDITOR button. (bottom right)

    In the about:config editor, type in "quote" in the filter field ( no "
    marks)

    Double-click these lines to get the result:

    mail.quoteasblock FALSE
    mail.quoted_graphical FALSE


    Close the editor and re-start TB. Let me know if this helps, please. I'm
    too chicken to try it on my installation. ;-)


    --
    Regards,
    Sparx


    Tagline:

    "The gap between the Ferrari Enzo and the Mercedes SLR is as wide as the
    gap between Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard." -- Jeremy Clarkson,
    Host of "Top Gear"

+ Reply to Thread