[TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete... - Mozilla ; On some eMail messages that I receive, I'm unable to delete the attachment(s) successfully. Others, no problem. Any thoughts/fixes? -- Thanks,tbl...

  1. [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    On some eMail messages that I receive, I'm unable to delete
    the attachment(s) successfully. Others, no problem.

    Any thoughts/fixes?

    -- Thanks,tbl

  2. Re: [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    _tbl_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 2:04 PM:
    > On some eMail messages that I receive, I'm unable to delete
    > the attachment(s) successfully. Others, no problem.
    >
    > Any thoughts/fixes?

    First thought is that there is no Thunderbird 1.5.0.1. ;-)

    Second thought: we need more info. How did you go about trying to delete
    attachments? What makes you think the attachments were not deleted from
    some? Did you use the 'Detach' function instead of 'Delete'?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:32:51 -0500, Chris Ilias
    wrote:

    >_tbl_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 2:04 PM:
    >> On some eMail messages that I receive, I'm unable to delete
    >> the attachment(s) successfully. Others, no problem.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/fixes?

    >First thought is that there is no Thunderbird 1.5.0.1. ;-)

    Hmmm... What *was* that latest version I downloaded?

    >Second thought: we need more info. How did you go about trying to delete
    >attachments?

    With the message open, right-click on the attachment and
    choose "Delete". Nothing seems to happen. Close TB,
    restart it, the message is still showing as large (obviously
    the attachment is still there). Compact folders, look
    again, message is still large. Open the message again, the
    attachment appears to still be there. Try to delete again,
    no change.

    >What makes you think the attachments were not deleted from
    >some?

    See above.

    >Did you use the 'Detach' function instead of 'Delete'?

    I have tried that a number of times, but it doesn't seem to
    work at all... ever. It saves the attachment ok, but never
    deletes it.

    By the way, this is a Win2kSP4 system.

    Thanks for the response.

    --
    tbl

  4. Re: [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    _tbl_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 7:17 PM:
    > Hmmm... What *was* that latest version I downloaded?

    Go to Help -> About Mozilla Thunderbird to find out which version you have.

    > With the message open, right-click on the attachment and
    > choose "Delete". Nothing seems to happen. Close TB,
    > restart it, the message is still showing as large (obviously
    > the attachment is still there). Compact folders, look
    > again, message is still large. Open the message again, the
    > attachment appears to still be there. Try to delete again,
    > no change.

    IMAP or POP? In IMAP it will create a duplicate message without the
    attachment.

    >> Did you use the 'Detach' function instead of 'Delete'?

    > I have tried that a number of times, but it doesn't seem to
    > work at all... ever. It saves the attachment ok, but never
    > deletes it.
    >
    > By the way, this is a Win2kSP4 system.

    If you used the 'Detach' function, the attachment will appear to still
    be there, but it's really just a link to where you saved in on your hard
    drive.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  5. Re: [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > First thought is that there is no Thunderbird 1.5.0.1. ;-)

    The problem comes from the website listing FF and TB as 1.5 with the
    Download FF specifying 1.5.0.1 so everybody assumes that TB is also

    --
    Marko Jotic
    "Common sense is anything but common".

  6. Re: [TBird 1.5.0.1] Deleting Attachments -- Some Won't Delete...

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 01:17:44 -0500, Chris Ilias
    wrote:

    >_tbl_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 7:17 PM:
    >> Hmmm... What *was* that latest version I downloaded?

    >Go to Help -> About Mozilla Thunderbird to find out which version you have.

    Ok. It would appear to be 1.5 (20051201).

    >> With the message open, right-click on the attachment and
    >> choose "Delete". Nothing seems to happen. Close TB,
    >> restart it, the message is still showing as large (obviously
    >> the attachment is still there). Compact folders, look
    >> again, message is still large. Open the message again, the
    >> attachment appears to still be there. Try to delete again,
    >> no change.

    >IMAP or POP? In IMAP it will create a duplicate message without the
    >attachment.

    POP.

    >>> Did you use the 'Detach' function instead of 'Delete'?

    >> I have tried that a number of times, but it doesn't seem to
    >> work at all... ever. It saves the attachment ok, but never
    >> deletes it.
    >>
    >> By the way, this is a Win2kSP4 system.

    >If you used the 'Detach' function, the attachment will appear to still
    >be there, but it's really just a link to where you saved in on your hard
    >drive.

    I'll spend some more time with that. I just tried one, and
    it seemed to work as you said. But it sure would be nice if
    it worked like it should!

    Thanks for the help.
    --
    tbl