How to kill a filter? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to kill a filter? - Mozilla ; A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label everything I wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an ego problem (well, not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make ...

  1. How to kill a filter?

    A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label everything I
    wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an ego problem (well,
    not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any replies.
    After a while I decided that was more trouble than it was worth since the
    "watch" lasted far longer than I was interested in.

    So I removed the 'watch' part. No change. Then I remeved the whole filter.
    My own messages are no longer labeled in red, but the 'watch' thing just keeps
    going and going and going...

    What can I kill and how can I kill it?

    My computer doesn't have to be friendly;
    civil is entirely sufficient.

  2. Re: How to kill a filter?

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 11:56 AM:
    > A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label
    > everything I wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an ego problem
    > (well, not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any
    > replies. After a while I decided that was more trouble than it was worth since the
    > "watch" lasted far longer than I was interested in.
    >
    > So I removed the 'watch' part. No change. Then I remeved the whole
    > filter. My own messages are no longer labeled in red, but the 'watch' thing just
    > keeps going and going and going...
    >
    > What can I kill and how can I kill it?

    Watched threads will stay watched, after you remove the filter; but new
    messages that may have been caught by the filter, will not be marked as
    watched. Are you saying that the filter is still applying to new threads?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 11:56 AM:
    >> A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label
    >> everything I wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an ego problem
    >> (well, not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any
    >> replies. After a while I decided that was more trouble than it was worth since the
    >> "watch" lasted far longer than I was interested in.
    >>
    >> So I removed the 'watch' part. No change. Then I remeved the whole
    >> filter. My own messages are no longer labeled in red, but the 'watch' thing just
    >> keeps going and going and going...
    >>
    >> What can I kill and how can I kill it?

    > Watched threads will stay watched, after you remove the filter; but new
    > messages that may have been caught by the filter, will not be marked as
    > watched. Are you saying that the filter is still applying to new threads?

    New posts into the previously watched threads. There is no 'watch' in the
    msgFilterRules.dat file(s) so I have to assume that once invoked the "watch"
    lasts until the thread dies. Odd but true?

    "Everything sucks; reverse the wires and everything will blow."
    -- Desert Ed

  4. Re: How to kill a filter?

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 5:11 PM:
    > New posts into the previously watched threads. There is no 'watch' in
    > the msgFilterRules.dat file(s) so I have to assume that once invoked the
    > "watch" lasts until the thread dies. Odd but true?

    There's no filter marking the thread as watched. They are watched,
    because they were already marked as watched. If a thread is already
    marked as watched, new messages without filters, are not going to
    'unwatch' it.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  5. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 5:11 PM:
    >> New posts into the previously watched threads. There is no 'watch' in
    >> the msgFilterRules.dat file(s) so I have to assume that once invoked the
    >> "watch" lasts until the thread dies. Odd but true?

    > There's no filter marking the thread as watched. They are watched,
    > because they were already marked as watched. If a thread is already
    > marked as watched, new messages without filters, are not going to
    > 'unwatch' it.

    Let me get this straight -- So it's not possible to kill it? Where does info
    retarding "watched threads" get stored?

  6. Re: How to kill a filter?

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 5:56 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> There's no filter marking the thread as watched. They are watched,
    >> because they were already marked as watched. If a thread is already
    >> marked as watched, new messages without filters, are not going to
    >> 'unwatch' it.

    > Let me get this straight -- So it's not possible to kill it? Where does
    > info retarding "watched threads" get stored?

    By "kill it" do you mean 'unwatch' the thread? If so, select a message
    in the thread, and go to 'Message -> Watch Thread', or press . (It's
    a toggle).

    If by "kill it" you mean kill the filter, it's already killed.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  7. Re: How to kill a filter?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label
    > everything I wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an
    > ego problem (well, not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make sure
    > I didn't miss any replies. After a while I decided that was more
    > trouble than it was worth since the "watch" lasted far longer than I
    > was interested in.

    If you are no longer interest in watching a thread then simply type "w"
    while in the thread. How much "trouble" is that?
    --
    There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home. - Ken
    Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

  8. Re: How to kill a filter?

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 01/03/2006 10:52 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> By "kill it" do you mean 'unwatch' the thread? If so, select a message
    >> in the thread, and go to 'Message -> Watch Thread', or press . (It's
    >> a toggle).

    > "Kill" means "I don't want to watch it any more, I want it to revert to
    > 'ordinary', whatever that is." "It" includes all threads, not just
    > specific ones.
    >
    > It seems to have taken a few days, but now messages are turning up
    > without 'important' or 'watch' alterations. After the 'watch' label is
    > removed from the entire news server, where else was the information stored?

    When a thread is marked as watched, that info is stored in the
    newsgroup.msf file (eg. mozilla.support.thunderbird.msf).
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  9. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> A while back I set a filter on the charter nntp server to label
    >> everything I wrote as 'important' and to watch the thread. No, not an
    >> ego problem (well, not a big one, anyway), I just wanted to make sure
    >> I didn't miss any replies. After a while I decided that was more
    >> trouble than it was worth since the "watch" lasted far longer than I
    >> was interested in.

    > If you are no longer interest in watching a thread then simply type "w"
    > while in the thread. How much "trouble" is that?

    Not much, really, but if I remove the "watch" from my filters I don't think
    it's unreasonable to expect that I won't have to watch those threads any more
    without further action on my part.

  10. Re: How to kill a filter?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Not much, really, but if I remove the "watch" from my filters I don't
    > think it's unreasonable to expect that I won't have to watch those
    > threads any more without further action on my part.

    You see that's the difference - I would think it unreasonable. Filters
    happen once, then the watch designation sticks with the thread itself
    (and is in the msf file whereas the filter is in the .dat file). Knowing
    that it's plain to see how removing something from the .dat file is not
    going to affect the marking already made in the .msf, and to expect it
    to do so is therefore unreasonable.
    --
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

  11. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Not much, really, but if I remove the "watch" from my filters I don't
    >> think it's unreasonable to expect that I won't have to watch those
    >> threads any more without further action on my part.

    > You see that's the difference - I would think it unreasonable. Filters
    > happen once, then the watch designation sticks with the thread itself
    > (and is in the msf file whereas the filter is in the .dat file). Knowing
    > that it's plain to see how removing something from the .dat file is not
    > going to affect the marking already made in the .msf, and to expect it
    > to do so is therefore unreasonable.

    I suppose there's no point in arguing, but it would be nice to have known that
    it was an irrevocable decision ("watching is forever") before I made it :-(
    There are threads in certain groups that go on for weeks and months. Possibly
    years. I'll just delete the .msf file and then I'll be happy again, right?

    "If your mechanic claims that he stands behind his brake jobs, keep
    looking. You want to find one willing to stand in front of them."
    -- B. Ward

  12. Re: How to kill a filter?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Not much, really, but if I remove the "watch" from my filters I
    >>> don't think it's unreasonable to expect that I won't have to watch
    >>> those threads any more without further action on my part.

    >> You see that's the difference - I would think it unreasonable. Filters
    >> happen once, then the watch designation sticks with the thread itself
    >> (and is in the msf file whereas the filter is in the .dat file).
    >> Knowing that it's plain to see how removing something from the .dat
    >> file is not going to affect the marking already made in the .msf, and
    >> to expect it to do so is therefore unreasonable.

    > I suppose there's no point in arguing, but it would be nice to have
    > known that
    > it was an irrevocable decision ("watching is forever") before I made it :-(
    > There are threads in certain groups that go on for weeks and months.
    > Possibly
    > years. I'll just delete the .msf file and then I'll be happy again, right?

    Nothing that radical required. Just type "w" when in the watched thread
    and it will toggle to off.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  13. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You see that's the difference - I would think it unreasonable. Filters
    >>> happen once, then the watch designation sticks with the thread itself
    >>> (and is in the msf file whereas the filter is in the .dat file).
    >>> Knowing that it's plain to see how removing something from the .dat
    >>> file is not going to affect the marking already made in the .msf, and
    >>> to expect it to do so is therefore unreasonable.

    >> I suppose there's no point in arguing, but it would be nice to have known
    >> that it was an irrevocable decision ("watching is forever") before I made
    >> it :-( There are threads in certain groups that go on for weeks and
    >> months. Possibly years. I'll just delete the .msf file and then I'll be
    >> happy again, right?
    >>

    > Nothing that radical required. Just type "w" when in the watched thread
    > and it will toggle to off.

    That seems crude. Besides, I already deleted the msf file. That got rid of
    the thread-watching behavior, but marking my own posts 'important' is still
    operative even though that filter is disabled.

    I give up.

    "It doesn't get any easier - you just go faster."
    -- Greg Lemond

  14. Re: How to kill a filter?

    _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 9:47 PM:
    > I suppose there's no point in arguing, but it would be nice to have
    > known that
    > it was an irrevocable decision ("watching is forever") before I made it :-(
    > There are threads in certain groups that go on for weeks and months.
    > Possibly
    > years. I'll just delete the .msf file and then I'll be happy again, right?

    The MSF file contains you local index of message headers, and any
    markings you have made in that group, such as watched threads, flags,
    labels, sort order, ignored threads, etc. By deleting the MSF file, yes,
    you will loose the watched status on any threads previously marked as
    watched; but you will also loose the message headers and any other
    markings you've made. The next time you access the group, you will be
    required to re-download headers (your message read count will stay intact).

    If you're willing to do that, go ahead. There may be a way of doing it
    without loosing all that data. Select all messages [Edit -> Select ->
    All], and use the key to mark all threads as unwatched. It may mark
    all threads as watched at first, but it's a toggle, so you can just
    press it again.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  15. Re: How to kill a filter?

    Chris Ilias wrote:

    > _The Real Bev_ spoke thusly on 02/03/2006 9:47 PM:
    >> I suppose there's no point in arguing, but it would be nice to have known
    >> that it was an irrevocable decision ("watching is forever") before I made
    >> it :-( There are threads in certain groups that go on for weeks and
    >> months. Possibly years. I'll just delete the .msf file and then I'll be
    >> happy again, right?

    > The MSF file contains you local index of message headers, and any markings
    > you have made in that group, such as watched threads, flags, labels, sort
    > order, ignored threads, etc. By deleting the MSF file, yes, you will loose
    > the watched status on any threads previously marked as watched; but you
    > will also loose the message headers and any other markings you've made. The
    > next time you access the group, you will be required to re-download headers
    > (your message read count will stay intact).

    That's not really a big penalty unless you're on dialup.

    > If you're willing to do that, go ahead. There may be a way of doing it
    > without loosing all that data. Select all messages [Edit -> Select -> All],
    > and use the key to mark all threads as unwatched. It may mark all
    > threads as watched at first, but it's a toggle, so you can just press it
    > again.

    As our Oz friends say, easy-peasy. Thanks, Chris.

    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really
    embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen
    an angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a
    lot more careful about what they say if they had. -- Linus Torvalds

+ Reply to Thread