Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla ; When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on an HTML link, a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the way I like it. What about the other way around? When ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

  1. Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on an HTML link,
    a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the way I like it.

    What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in my Firefox
    browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window? Back when I
    was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application, I remember
    it used to work this way.

    Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a command-line invocation
    flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening the Thunderbird
    read-mail window?

    I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

  2. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Carl G. Ponder wrote:

    > Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    > command-line invocation flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail
    > window, as opposed to opening the Thunderbird read-mail window?
    >
    > I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    There should be a way in RedHat Linux to set the preferred application
    for e-mail. Using Ubuntu Linux here and there is a tool named "Preferred
    Applications" in GNOME where you can set TB as your default mail client.
    Works here just fine. Hope this helps...

  3. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Carl G. Ponder wrote:

    > Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    > command-line invocation flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail
    > window, as opposed to opening the Thunderbird read-mail window?
    >
    > I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    There should be a way in RedHat Linux to set the preferred application
    for e-mail. Using Ubuntu Linux here and there is a tool named "Preferred
    Applications" in GNOME where you can set TB as your default mail client.
    Works here just fine. Hope this helps...

  4. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Carl G. Ponder wrote:

    > When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    > an HTML link,
    > a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    > way I like it.
    >
    > What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    > my Firefox
    > browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    > Back when I
    > was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application, I
    > remember
    > it used to work this way.
    >
    > Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    > command-line invocation
    > flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    > the Thunderbird
    > read-mail window?
    >
    > I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    it. See:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

  5. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Carl G. Ponder wrote:

    > When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    > an HTML link,
    > a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    > way I like it.
    >
    > What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    > my Firefox
    > browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    > Back when I
    > was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application, I
    > remember
    > it used to work this way.
    >
    > Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    > command-line invocation
    > flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    > the Thunderbird
    > read-mail window?
    >
    > I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    it. See:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

  6. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>
    >> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >> an HTML link,
    >> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >> way I like it.
    >>
    >> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >> my Firefox
    >> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >> Back when I
    >> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >> I remember
    >> it used to work this way.
    >>
    >> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >> command-line invocation
    >> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >> the Thunderbird
    >> read-mail window?
    >>
    >> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    > I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    > platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    > it. See:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops up....

    --
    First to come are the midgets, a monkey and a kid. Followed by those two
    one-armed jugglers, the ego and the id - Gordon Lightfoot

  7. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>
    >> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >> an HTML link,
    >> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >> way I like it.
    >>
    >> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >> my Firefox
    >> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >> Back when I
    >> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >> I remember
    >> it used to work this way.
    >>
    >> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >> command-line invocation
    >> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >> the Thunderbird
    >> read-mail window?
    >>
    >> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    > I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    > platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    > it. See:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops up....

    --
    First to come are the midgets, a monkey and a kid. Followed by those two
    one-armed jugglers, the ego and the id - Gordon Lightfoot

  8. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>>
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to
    >>> opening the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops
    > up....

    That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the TB
    Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some other
    OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But it
    won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

  9. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>>
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to
    >>> opening the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops
    > up....

    That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the TB
    Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some other
    OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But it
    won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

  10. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    On 1/03/2006 9:46 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >>> the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >> it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops up....

    Me too!

    --
    Please reply to group or
    reply "off-group" by removing the two "z"s from my e-mail address.

    Graham Coward
    Melbourne, Australia
    =====================
    Coward Family History Web Site
    http://www.alphalink.com.au/~coward/

  11. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    On 1/03/2006 9:46 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >>> the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >> it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > Hmmm... When I click on a mailto link in FF a TB compose window pops up....

    Me too!

    --
    Please reply to group or
    reply "off-group" by removing the two "z"s from my e-mail address.

    Graham Coward
    Melbourne, Australia
    =====================
    Coward Family History Web Site
    http://www.alphalink.com.au/~coward/

  12. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>
    >> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >> an HTML link,
    >> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >> way I like it.
    >>
    >> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >> my Firefox
    >> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >> Back when I
    >> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application, I
    >> remember
    >> it used to work this way.
    >>
    >> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >> command-line invocation
    >> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >> the Thunderbird
    >> read-mail window?
    >>
    >> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    > I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    > platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    > it. See:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    compose message window.

    The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    are so that everyone plays nice together.

  13. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>
    >> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >> an HTML link,
    >> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >> way I like it.
    >>
    >> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >> my Firefox
    >> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >> Back when I
    >> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application, I
    >> remember
    >> it used to work this way.
    >>
    >> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >> command-line invocation
    >> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to opening
    >> the Thunderbird
    >> read-mail window?
    >>
    >> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    > I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    > platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    > it. See:
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    compose message window.

    The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    are so that everyone plays nice together.

  14. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >> it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    > compose message window.
    >
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    > Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    > are so that everyone plays nice together.

    To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with my
    MailTo protocol.

    Virginia

  15. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >> it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    > compose message window.
    >
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    > Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    > are so that everyone plays nice together.

    To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with my
    MailTo protocol.

    Virginia

  16. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>>
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to
    >>> opening the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    > the compose message window.
    >
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    > using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    > defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.

    Ken, all I can tell you is that it doesn't work for me and many other
    people according to forum posts. Here is what a Mozilla moderator
    posted on 2/21/06:

    {The bug is that there's no way of doing this without dirty, ugly hacks.
    I've looked at this before, and it doesn't seem like MAPI can handle
    files. IE can do it because it most likely bypasses MAPI entirely, since
    it's completely integrated with everything.

    There was talk about sending the whole page as HTML (by passing it all
    as raw text content) and inserting a tag to load remote images. I
    have no idea how well this would work. My initial thoughts are "not well".}

    So I'm really glad it works for you and others, but it really does seem
    to be a known issue for many. I've made TB my default within TB and
    within Windows using Set Program Access And Default and within IE. Are
    there any other places to set it? TB does come up when I click a mailto
    link from FF, just not the compose window.

  17. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Carl G. Ponder wrote:
    >>>
    >>> When I'm reading an HTML-encoded message in Thunderbird and click on
    >>> an HTML link,
    >>> a tab comes up in my Firefox browser with the link. This is just the
    >>> way I like it.
    >>>
    >>> What about the other way around? When I clink on a "mailto:" link in
    >>> my Firefox
    >>> browser, how can I have it open a Thunderbird "compose mail" window?
    >>> Back when I
    >>> was using mozilla & mozilla-mail as a single integrated application,
    >>> I remember
    >>> it used to work this way.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some preference I have to set in Firefox? Is there a
    >>> command-line invocation
    >>> flag to open a Thunderbird compose-mail window, as opposed to
    >>> opening the Thunderbird
    >>> read-mail window?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running RedHat Linux and Thunderbird/Firefox 1.5.

    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    > the compose message window.
    >
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    > using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    > defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.

    Ken, all I can tell you is that it doesn't work for me and many other
    people according to forum posts. Here is what a Mozilla moderator
    posted on 2/21/06:

    {The bug is that there's no way of doing this without dirty, ugly hacks.
    I've looked at this before, and it doesn't seem like MAPI can handle
    files. IE can do it because it most likely bypasses MAPI entirely, since
    it's completely integrated with everything.

    There was talk about sending the whole page as HTML (by passing it all
    as raw text content) and inserting a tag to load remote images. I
    have no idea how well this would work. My initial thoughts are "not well".}

    So I'm really glad it works for you and others, but it really does seem
    to be a known issue for many. I've made TB my default within TB and
    within Windows using Set Program Access And Default and within IE. Are
    there any other places to set it? TB does come up when I click a mailto
    link from FF, just not the compose window.

  18. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Virginia wrote:

    >>>I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >>>platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >>>it. See:
    >>>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    >>A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >>drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    >>compose message window.
    >>
    >>The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    >>that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    >>Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    >>are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>

    > To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with my
    > MailTo protocol.
    >
    > Virginia

    Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.

    That being said, check the entries of:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command

    and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    example:

    "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose

    ..exe -compose

  19. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Virginia wrote:

    >>>I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >>>platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts on
    >>>it. See:
    >>>http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    >>A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >>drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up the
    >>compose message window.
    >>
    >>The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    >>that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us using
    >>Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the defaults
    >>are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>

    > To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with my
    > MailTo protocol.
    >
    > Virginia

    Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.

    That being said, check the entries of:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command

    and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    example:

    "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose

    ..exe -compose

  20. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    > TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    > other OS?

    I've successfully used this on Windows XP and Linux.
    > Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    > and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But
    > it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    I guess that's my secret! Never use OE or Outhooked!
    --
    Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. -
    John Prine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast