Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla ; Dan wrote: > Dan wrote: > >>gwtc wrote: >> >>>Dan wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Andrew DeFaria wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>>>Dan wrote: >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>>Irwin Greenwald wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>>>Dan wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>>Irwin Greenwald wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>Dan wrote: >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 86 of 86

  1. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>save it using a plain text program such as notepad.

    >>>it seems that something else is at work here. Something that is
    >>>changing your settings back to the default. What programs are you
    >>>running in the background? Also, check the files user.dat and
    >>>system.dat and make sure that they're not set to read only. Lastly,
    >>>scan your system for viruses, adware, malware, and anything else that
    >>>you can come up with. Also, make sure that your anti-virus and
    >>>firewall isn't making these changes.

    >>I found "rnsystem.dat" file and a "ntuser.dat" file. Both of them are
    >>not read only.
    >>
    >>I've scanned the system for viruses, adware, etc. using Symantec's
    >>corporate edition, Ad-Aware and Spybot....no problems. I see no
    >>unusual activity that would indicate anything suspicious here.
    >>Everything seems to be working very well.
    >>
    >>I'm running about 25-30 programs in the background looking at the
    >>processes in the Task Manager. Is there anything you're looking at
    >>specifically? I didn't see an easy way to capture those files as text
    >>and display here.

    > I searched and found this REG file under the Earthlink (my dialup ISP)
    > folders. Please take a look and see if you think it might be resetting
    > my register info on reboot. They had 3 REG files under Earthlink, but
    > this one looks most suspicious. I don't seem to have any trouble
    > keeping TB as the default email client though.
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >

    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail]
    > @="Outlook Express"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto]
    > @="URL:MailTo Protocol"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\Default Icon]
    > @="C:\\Program Files\\Outlook Express\\msimn.exe,-2"
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command]
    > @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Outlook Express\\msimn.exe\" /mailurl:%1"
    >
    > [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\ddeexec]
    >
    > [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\ddeexec\Application]
    >
    > [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\ddeexec\Topic]
    >
    > [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.eml\UndoClass]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\.eml]
    > @="Microsoft Internet Mail Message"

    this is the one that counts the most:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

  2. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    MushMorton wrote:

    > On 3/4/2006 1:21 AM gwtc ,sat at the keyboard and poured forth:
    >
    >>MushMorton wrote:
    >>

    >>>On 3/3/2006 11:28 PM Irwin Greenwald ,sat at the keyboard and poured
    >>>forth:

    >>>System Restore first appeared in ME. It does not exist in Win 98 :-(
    >>>

    >>any recommendations for an alternative then.

    > One alternative is Norton's *Go Back*
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...b40/index.html
    >
    > Best practice is always to make a backup copy of the registry before
    > making any changes and restore from it when something blows up in your face.

    thanks, but I'll pass on that one. Costs too much! I was looking for
    Open Source or Freeware.

  3. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>>System Restore first appeared in ME. It does not exist in Win 98 :-(

    >>any recommendations for an alternative then.

    > Yes! I recommend XP! ;-)

    That is far too much. I'm looking for either something Open Source or
    Freeware

  4. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> save it using a plain text program such as notepad.

    >>> it seems that something else is at work here. Something that is
    >>> changing your settings back to the default. What programs are you
    >>> running in the background? Also, check the files user.dat and
    >>> system.dat and make sure that they're not set to read only. Lastly,
    >>> scan your system for viruses, adware, malware, and anything else
    >>> that you can come up with. Also, make sure that your anti-virus and
    >>> firewall isn't making these changes.

    >> I found "rnsystem.dat" file and a "ntuser.dat" file. Both of them
    >> are not read only.
    >>
    >> I've scanned the system for viruses, adware, etc. using Symantec's
    >> corporate edition, Ad-Aware and Spybot....no problems. I see no
    >> unusual activity that would indicate anything suspicious here.
    >> Everything seems to be working very well.
    >>
    >> I'm running about 25-30 programs in the background looking at the
    >> processes in the Task Manager. Is there anything you're looking at
    >> specifically? I didn't see an easy way to capture those files as
    >> text and display here.

    > rnsystem.dat -- is real player or real audio or whatever name they go
    > by now-a-days.
    >
    > ntuser.dat -- I have no idea what that one is for. Do a right click
    > and select properties. Does it give you any more info? Find the file
    > on your hard drive and see where it leads you to.

    NTUSER.dat is in 3 places on my HD:

    1. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile
    2. C:\I386
    3. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

    They are all 256 KB, so I'm guessing they are the same file in 3 spots.

    No more information given in the properties.

  5. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> I presume thats a function of winXP? Cause win98 sure doesn't have
    >>> that. I wish it did.

    >> I know it exists on XP, but I thought I had used it on earlier
    >> versions (ME and 98). Is there a "Help and Support" function under the
    >> Start menu on 98? You might find it there.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > are you talking about backing up the registry. Then yes, there is that,
    > if you can call it a help.

    Backing up the Registry should suffice for protection prior to regedit.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  6. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:

    >>>I found "rnsystem.dat" file and a "ntuser.dat" file. Both of them
    >>>are not read only.
    >>>
    >>>I've scanned the system for viruses, adware, etc. using Symantec's
    >>>corporate edition, Ad-Aware and Spybot....no problems. I see no
    >>>unusual activity that would indicate anything suspicious here.
    >>>Everything seems to be working very well.
    >>>
    >>>I'm running about 25-30 programs in the background looking at the
    >>>processes in the Task Manager. Is there anything you're looking at
    >>>specifically? I didn't see an easy way to capture those files as
    >>>text and display here.

    >>rnsystem.dat -- is real player or real audio or whatever name they go
    >>by now-a-days.
    >>
    >>ntuser.dat -- I have no idea what that one is for. Do a right click
    >>and select properties. Does it give you any more info? Find the file
    >>on your hard drive and see where it leads you to.

    > NTUSER.dat is in 3 places on my HD:
    >
    > 1. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\systemprofile
    > 2. C:\I386
    > 3. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    >
    > They are all 256 KB, so I'm guessing they are the same file in 3 spots.
    >
    > No more information given in the properties.

    NTUSER.dat is part of winxt:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/profrk.mspx

    NTuser.dat File

    The NTuser.dat file is the registry portion of the user profile.
    NTuser.dat is a cached copy of the Windows NT Registry
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree on the local computer. The registry is a
    database repository for information about the computer's
    configuration, including the hardware, installed software, environment
    settings, and other information. In the registry, the settings that
    determine the work environment for the user who is currently logged on
    to the computer are stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5