Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla ; Irwin Greenwald wrote: > Dan wrote: > >> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the >> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some >> other OS? Apparently, ...

  1. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >> other OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE
    >> for a while and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back
    >> to TB. But it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that
    >> session.

    > With both TB and FF closed.
    >
    > Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >
    > Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    > Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    > Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    > without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    > DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >
    > Reboot your system.
    >
    > Does mailto work correctly now?
    >
    > Irwin

    Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the app
    to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to proceed
    from here.

    I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

  2. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >>> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >>> other OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE
    >>> for a while and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back
    >>> to TB. But it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that
    >>> session.

    >> With both TB and FF closed.
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>
    >> Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    >> Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    >> Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    >> without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    >> DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >>
    >> Reboot your system.
    >>
    >> Does mailto work correctly now?
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    > Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    > Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the app
    > to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to proceed
    > from here.
    > I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    > yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    > rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    URL:MailTo Protocol:

    Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    Click on New
    Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it. Then
    click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the instructions
    I gave in my previous post.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  3. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >>> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >>> other OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE
    >>> for a while and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back
    >>> to TB. But it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that
    >>> session.

    >> With both TB and FF closed.
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>
    >> Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    >> Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    >> Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    >> without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    >> DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >>
    >> Reboot your system.
    >>
    >> Does mailto work correctly now?
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    > Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    > Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the app
    > to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to proceed
    > from here.
    > I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    > yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    > rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    URL:MailTo Protocol:

    Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    Click on New
    Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it. Then
    click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the instructions
    I gave in my previous post.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  4. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> With both TB and FF closed.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>>
    >>> Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    >>> Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    >>> Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    >>> without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    >>> DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot your system.
    >>>
    >>> Does mailto work correctly now?
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >> Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >> Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the app
    >> to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >> proceed from here.
    >> I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >> yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >> rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    > Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    > use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    > URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >
    > Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    > Click on New
    > Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    > type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it. Then
    > click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the instructions
    > I gave in my previous post.
    >
    > Irwin

    Followup set to mozilla.support.thunderbird.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  5. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> With both TB and FF closed.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>>
    >>> Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    >>> Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    >>> Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    >>> without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    >>> DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot your system.
    >>>
    >>> Does mailto work correctly now?
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >> Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >> Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >> app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >> proceed from here.
    >> I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >> yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >> rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    > Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    > use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    > URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >
    > Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    > Click on New
    > Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    > type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    > Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    > instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >
    > Irwin

    No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).

    When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    like no link would open if I did that.

    So, unsure how to proceed again.

  6. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> With both TB and FF closed.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>>
    >>> Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    >>> Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    >>> Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    >>> without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    >>> DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >>>
    >>> Reboot your system.
    >>>
    >>> Does mailto work correctly now?
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >> Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >> Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >> app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >> proceed from here.
    >> I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >> yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >> rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    > Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    > use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    > URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >
    > Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    > Click on New
    > Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    > type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    > Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    > instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >
    > Irwin

    No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).

    When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    like no link would open if I did that.

    So, unsure how to proceed again.

  7. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:

    >>>Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >>>Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >>>Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >>>app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >>>proceed from here.
    >>>I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >>>yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >>>rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    >>Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    >>use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >>URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>
    >>Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>Click on New
    >>Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >>type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >>Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >>instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>
    >>Irwin
    >>

    > No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    > associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >
    > When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    > already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    > it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    > like no link would open if I did that.
    >
    > So, unsure how to proceed again.

    I think you're getting a little confused here.

    In the list is in alphabetical order. Sroll down the list until you
    find the URL section. There should be several there. Do not look at
    the File Type Details. Thats where you're looking at.

    You should see:

    URL:File Transfer Protocol
    URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
    URL:LDAP Protocol

    and many others.

    You don't want to look the the one that says:

    Internet Shortcut

    and in the file details it says Extension -- URL, Opens with _whatever
    you use_ and so one. This is not the one you want.

  8. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:

    >>>Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >>>Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >>>Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >>>app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >>>proceed from here.
    >>>I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >>>yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >>>rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    >>Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    >>use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >>URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>
    >>Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>Click on New
    >>Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >>type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >>Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >>instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>
    >>Irwin
    >>

    > No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    > associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >
    > When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    > already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    > it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    > like no link would open if I did that.
    >
    > So, unsure how to proceed again.

    I think you're getting a little confused here.

    In the list is in alphabetical order. Sroll down the list until you
    find the URL section. There should be several there. Do not look at
    the File Type Details. Thats where you're looking at.

    You should see:

    URL:File Transfer Protocol
    URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
    URL:LDAP Protocol

    and many others.

    You don't want to look the the one that says:

    Internet Shortcut

    and in the file details it says Extension -- URL, Opens with _whatever
    you use_ and so one. This is not the one you want.

  9. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >>> Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >>> Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >>> app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >>> proceed from here.
    >>> I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >>> yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >>> rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    >> Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    >> use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >> URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >> Click on New
    >> Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >> type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >> Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >> instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    > associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >
    > When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    > already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    > it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    > like no link would open if I did that.
    >
    > So, unsure how to proceed again.

    You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    *URL...*

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  10. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    >>> Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    >>> Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the
    >>> app to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to
    >>> proceed from here.
    >>> I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    >>> yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    >>> rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".

    >> Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one to
    >> use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >> URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>
    >> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >> Click on New
    >> Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >> type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >> Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >> instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    > associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >
    > When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    > already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to un-associate
    > it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid to do that; seems
    > like no link would open if I did that.
    >
    > So, unsure how to proceed again.

    You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    *URL...*

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  11. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Just import the reg file I posted.
    --
    What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull.

  12. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one
    >>> to use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >>> URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>> Click on New
    >>> Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >>> type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >>> Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >>> instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    >> associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >>
    >> When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    >> already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to
    >> un-associate it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid
    >> to do that; seems like no link would open if I did that.
    >>
    >> So, unsure how to proceed again.

    > You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    > *URL...*
    >
    > Irwin

    Just import the reg file I posted.
    --
    What has four legs and an arm? A happy pit bull.

  13. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one
    >>> to use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >>> URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>> Click on New
    >>> Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >>> type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >>> Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >>> instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    >> associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >>
    >> When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    >> already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to
    >> un-associate it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid
    >> to do that; seems like no link would open if I did that.
    >>
    >> So, unsure how to proceed again.

    > You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    > *URL...*
    >
    > Irwin

    Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I didn't
    know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods. I'm sorry,
    I've not done too much registry or file association changes before.

    OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no longer works.
    I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as well. How do I
    keep them from changing?

  14. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Is there a "URL..." with URL:MailTo entry? If so, that is the one
    >>> to use (my bad in above instructions). If not, You can create the
    >>> URL:MailTo Protocol:
    >>>
    >>> Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >>> Click on New
    >>> Enter "URL..." in box then click on Advanced and in "associated File
    >>> type" drop down, scroll down to URL:MailTo Protocol and select it.
    >>> Then click on OK. Click on the "Advanced" button and follow the
    >>> instructions I gave in my previous post.
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    >> associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >>
    >> When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    >> already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to
    >> un-associate it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid
    >> to do that; seems like no link would open if I did that.
    >>
    >> So, unsure how to proceed again.

    > You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    > *URL...*
    >
    > Irwin

    Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I didn't
    know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods. I'm sorry,
    I've not done too much registry or file association changes before.

    OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no longer works.
    I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as well. How do I
    keep them from changing?

  15. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Don't know. Mine stay put.
    --
    I tried to backup my hard drive but I couldn't figure out how to put it
    in reverse

  16. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    >>> associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    >>> already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to
    >>> un-associate it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid
    >>> to do that; seems like no link would open if I did that.
    >>>
    >>> So, unsure how to proceed again.

    >> You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    >> *URL...*
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    > thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I
    > didn't know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods.
    > I'm sorry, I've not done too much registry or file association changes
    > before.
    >
    > OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    > reboot, it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no
    > longer works. I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as
    > well. How do I keep them from changing?

    Don't know. Mine stay put.
    --
    I tried to backup my hard drive but I couldn't figure out how to put it
    in reverse

  17. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> No, there is no URL:MailTo entry. There is only one URL, and it is
    >>> associated with "Internet Shortcut" (see above post).
    >>>
    >>> When I tried to create the URL:MailTo Protocol, Windows told me I
    >>> already had a URL file extension and asked if I wanted to
    >>> un-associate it with "Internet Shortcut" and so forth. I'm afraid
    >>> to do that; seems like no link would open if I did that.
    >>>
    >>> So, unsure how to proceed again.

    >> You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    >> *URL...*
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    > thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I didn't
    > know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods. I'm sorry,
    > I've not done too much registry or file association changes before.
    >
    > OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    > it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no longer works.
    > I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as well. How do I
    > keep them from changing?

    Follow-up set to to mozilla.support.thunderbird.

    I have no further ideas. Did you try the reg file that Andrew posted?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  18. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> You didn't do what I said "Enter "URL..." in box then "
    >>> *URL...*
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    >> thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I
    >> didn't know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods.
    >> I'm sorry, I've not done too much registry or file association
    >> changes before.
    >>
    >> OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    >> reboot, it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no
    >> longer works. I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as
    >> well. How do I keep them from changing?

    > Follow-up set to to mozilla.support.thunderbird.
    >
    > I have no further ideas. Did you try the reg file that Andrew posted?
    >
    > Irwin

    No, I'm sorry, I did not try the reg file that Andrew posted. I have my
    newsgroup preferences set to keep only the last 40 messages, so it's
    long gone.

    I was not sure what to do with that information either. :-\

    I'm thinking that it may be my Earthlink dialup ISP that keeps resetting
    these things. I know it resets some settings for connectivity.

  19. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    >>> thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I
    >>> didn't know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods.
    >>> I'm sorry, I've not done too much registry or file association
    >>> changes before.
    >>>
    >>> OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    >>> reboot, it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no
    >>> longer works. I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as
    >>> well. How do I keep them from changing?

    >> Follow-up set to to mozilla.support.thunderbird.
    >>
    >> I have no further ideas. Did you try the reg file that Andrew posted?
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > No, I'm sorry, I did not try the reg file that Andrew posted. I have my
    > newsgroup preferences set to keep only the last 40 messages, so it's
    > long gone.
    > I was not sure what to do with that information either. :-\
    >
    > I'm thinking that it may be my Earthlink dialup ISP that keeps resetting
    > these things. I know it resets some settings for connectivity.

    I don't think an ISP can get at those settings. Try this:
    Start>>run>>msconfig click on the "Start Up"tag and see if any other
    mail client (like OE or Outlook) id listed.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  20. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> Yes, I was confused and didn't do exactly what you said to do. I
    >>> thought the "URL..." that the periods just meant "and so on"; I
    >>> didn't know you literally wanted me to put in "URL" and 3 periods.
    >>> I'm sorry, I've not done too much registry or file association
    >>> changes before.
    >>>
    >>> OK, I did put in "URL..." and did all that you said to do in the
    >>> reboot, it gets changed back from "compose %1" to "mail", and no
    >>> longer works. I checked the registry keys, and they are changed as
    >>> well. How do I keep them from changing?

    >> Follow-up set to to mozilla.support.thunderbird.
    >>
    >> I have no further ideas. Did you try the reg file that Andrew posted?
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > No, I'm sorry, I did not try the reg file that Andrew posted. I have my
    > newsgroup preferences set to keep only the last 40 messages, so it's
    > long gone.
    > I was not sure what to do with that information either. :-\
    >
    > I'm thinking that it may be my Earthlink dialup ISP that keeps resetting
    > these things. I know it resets some settings for connectivity.

    Whoops! I'm confused ... your latest post shows a windows system rather
    than Linux. Which are we talking about?

    Irwin