Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox - Mozilla ; Dan wrote: > That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the > TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some > other OS? I've successfully used this on Windows ...

  1. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    > TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    > other OS?

    I've successfully used this on Windows XP and Linux.
    > Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    > and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But
    > it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    I guess that's my secret! Never use OE or Outhooked!
    --
    Don't make no sense that common sense don't make no sense no more. -
    John Prine

  2. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    > the compose message window.

    I can speak for Linux! Worked great there too. Click on mailto, get a TB
    compose window.
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    > using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    > defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.

    Again, when you only use non-MS mailers you tend to have less
    problems... ;-)

    (Oh I've stated OE and Outlook on occasion. Actually I seem to know more
    about them than people who use them regularly as I'm often helping them
    configure their mailers. But I never allow them to become the default)
    --
    Sex: In America an obsession. In other parts of the world a fact. -
    Marlene Dietrich

  3. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >> on it. See:
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    > A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    > drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    > the compose message window.

    I can speak for Linux! Worked great there too. Click on mailto, get a TB
    compose window.
    > The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    > that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    > using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    > defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.

    Again, when you only use non-MS mailers you tend to have less
    problems... ;-)

    (Oh I've stated OE and Outlook on occasion. Actually I seem to know more
    about them than people who use them regularly as I'm often helping them
    configure their mailers. But I never allow them to become the default)
    --
    Sex: In America an obsession. In other parts of the world a fact. -
    Marlene Dietrich

  4. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >>> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >>> on it. See:
    >>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    >> A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >> drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    >> the compose message window.
    >>
    >> The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    >> that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    >> using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    >> defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>

    > Ken, all I can tell you is that it doesn't work for me and many other
    > people according to forum posts. Here is what a Mozilla moderator
    > posted on 2/21/06:
    >
    > {The bug is that there's no way of doing this without dirty, ugly hacks.
    > I've looked at this before, and it doesn't seem like MAPI can handle
    > files. IE can do it because it most likely bypasses MAPI entirely, since
    > it's completely integrated with everything.
    >
    > There was talk about sending the whole page as HTML (by passing it all
    > as raw text content) and inserting a tag to load remote images. I
    > have no idea how well this would work. My initial thoughts are "not well".}

    I'm sorry - maybe I'm confused. The text you quoted above from the
    Mozilla moderator doesn't appear to be talking about clicking a link in
    FF and having TB come up with a compose window. We're not trying to have
    MAPI handle files. Instead, it appears that he/she's talking about
    sending an entire web page via an e-mail message ("sending the whole
    page as HTML" above).

    For Windows users, the vast majority of folks in here that have had this
    problem needed to do one of the following two things and the problem was
    solved:
    1. Tell TB that it was the default mail program via Tools -> Options ->
    General -> "Make Thunderbird the default application for:"
    2. Tell Windows that TB is the default mail program via Control Panel ->
    Add/Remove Programs -> Set Program Access and Defaults -> Custom

  5. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Dan wrote:

    >>> I think this is a known drawback with TH/FF...at least on the Windows
    >>> platform. If you go to the Mozilla Forums, there are lots of posts
    >>> on it. See:
    >>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...104058#2104058

    >> A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >> drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    >> the compose message window.
    >>
    >> The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people is
    >> that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of us
    >> using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what the
    >> defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>

    > Ken, all I can tell you is that it doesn't work for me and many other
    > people according to forum posts. Here is what a Mozilla moderator
    > posted on 2/21/06:
    >
    > {The bug is that there's no way of doing this without dirty, ugly hacks.
    > I've looked at this before, and it doesn't seem like MAPI can handle
    > files. IE can do it because it most likely bypasses MAPI entirely, since
    > it's completely integrated with everything.
    >
    > There was talk about sending the whole page as HTML (by passing it all
    > as raw text content) and inserting a tag to load remote images. I
    > have no idea how well this would work. My initial thoughts are "not well".}

    I'm sorry - maybe I'm confused. The text you quoted above from the
    Mozilla moderator doesn't appear to be talking about clicking a link in
    FF and having TB come up with a compose window. We're not trying to have
    MAPI handle files. Instead, it appears that he/she's talking about
    sending an entire web page via an e-mail message ("sending the whole
    page as HTML" above).

    For Windows users, the vast majority of folks in here that have had this
    problem needed to do one of the following two things and the problem was
    solved:
    1. Tell TB that it was the default mail program via Tools -> Options ->
    General -> "Make Thunderbird the default application for:"
    2. Tell Windows that TB is the default mail program via Control Panel ->
    Add/Remove Programs -> Set Program Access and Defaults -> Custom

  6. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
    > So I'm really glad it works for you and others, but it really does
    > seem to be a known issue for many. I've made TB my default within TB
    > and within Windows using Set Program Access And Default and within
    > IE. Are there any other places to set it? TB does come up when I
    > click a mailto link from FF, just not the compose window.

    I believe that gwtc is giving you the correct advice. The trick or ugly
    hacks as you call them (not tricks or ugly at all rather competing
    programs have mangled your registry entries) is in the registry and
    getting the settings set right. From gwtc's post you need to check your
    registry for the following keys:

    * HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command

    The registry is not that mysterious or dangerous so long as reasonable
    precautions are take place. In any event here are my settings. You can
    copy and paste them into a file, give it a .reg extension then simply
    double click it. You'll need to adjust where you installed Thunderbird
    as I install mine in the non-default location of C:\Program
    Files\Thunderbird (Never much liked "Mozilla Thunderbird").

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto]
    @="URL:MailTo Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe,0"

    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -compose %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto]
    @="URL:MailTo Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\Default Icon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe,0"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\o pen]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\o pen\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -compose %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird]
    @="Mozilla Thunderbird"
    "DLLPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\mozMapi32.dll"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\.eml]
    @="Microsoft Internet Mail Message"
    "Content Type"="message/rfc822"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe,0"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\InstallInfo]
    "HideIconsCommand"="\"C:\\Program
    Files\\Thunderbird\\uninstall\\UninstallThunderbir d.exe\" /ua \"1.5
    (en-US)\" /hs"
    "IconsVisible"=dword:00000000
    "ReinstallCommand"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe\"
    -silent -nosplash -setDefaultMail"
    "ShowIconsCommand"="\"C:\\Program
    Files\\Thunderbird\\uninstall\\UninstallThunderbir d.exe\" /ua \"1.5
    (en-US)\" /ss mail"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\protocols]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto]
    @="URL:MailTo Protocol"
    "URL Protocol"=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\DefaultIcon]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe,0"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -compose %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\open]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -mail"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\shell\properties]
    @=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\shell\properties\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -options"
    --
    So you're a feminist...Isn't that cute.

  7. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:
> [...]

    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe,0"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -compose %1"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\open]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\shell\open\command]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Thunderbird\\Thunderbird.exe -mail"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    Thunderbird\shell\properties]
    @=""

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla

  8. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:

    >>> A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >>> drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    >>> the compose message window.
    >>>
    >>> The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people
    >>> is that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of
    >>> us using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what
    >>> the defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>>

    >> To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with
    >> my MailTo protocol.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    > but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.
    >
    > That being said, check the entries of:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >
    > and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    > exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    > Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    > above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    > example:
    >
    > "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >
    > .exe -compose

    Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set to
    "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything seems to
    work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it alone.

    I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    little intimidating to do so. :-[

  9. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:

    >>> A "known drawback"?! I can't speak for Linux, but it's not a "known
    >>> drawback" for Windows... I click any mailto link and TB brings up
    >>> the compose message window.
    >>>
    >>> The "problem" (if you can accurately call it that) for most people
    >>> is that the default mail program isn't set to be TB. For those of
    >>> us using Windows, we sometimes have to tell both TB and Windows what
    >>> the defaults are so that everyone plays nice together.
    >>>

    >> To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with
    >> my MailTo protocol.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    > but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.
    >
    > That being said, check the entries of:
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >
    > and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    > exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    > Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    > above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    > example:
    >
    > "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >
    > .exe -compose

    Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set to
    "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything seems to
    work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it alone.

    I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    little intimidating to do so. :-[

  10. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>>To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with
    >>>my MailTo protocol.
    >>>
    >>>Virginia

    >>Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    >>but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.
    >>
    >>That being said, check the entries of:
    >>
    >>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >>Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>
    >>and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    >>exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    >>Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    >>above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    >>example:
    >>
    >>"c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >>
    >>.exe -compose

    > Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set to
    > "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything seems to
    > work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it alone.
    >
    > I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    > little intimidating to do so. :-[

    the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    programs on your machine.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software

    These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    others, but these are a good start.

  11. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>>To get this to work properly (in Windows) I had to fool around with
    >>>my MailTo protocol.
    >>>
    >>>Virginia

    >>Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the registry,
    >>but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause more problems.
    >>
    >>That being said, check the entries of:
    >>
    >>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >>Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>
    >>and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    >>exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    >>Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into the
    >>above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose, for
    >>example:
    >>
    >>"c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >>
    >>.exe -compose

    > Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set to
    > "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything seems to
    > work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it alone.
    >
    > I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    > little intimidating to do so. :-[

    the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    programs on your machine.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software

    These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    others, but these are a good start.

  12. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >> other OS?

    > I've successfully used this on Windows XP and Linux.
    >> Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    >> and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But
    >> it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    > I guess that's my secret! Never use OE or Outhooked!

    I would say it is likely that OE or Outlook are stealing the default
    email application setting. Sounds like something MS would do....

  13. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Andrew DeFaria wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >> other OS?

    > I've successfully used this on Windows XP and Linux.
    >> Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    >> and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But
    >> it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    > I guess that's my secret! Never use OE or Outhooked!

    I would say it is likely that OE or Outlook are stealing the default
    email application setting. Sounds like something MS would do....

  14. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the
    >>> registry, but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause
    >>> more problems.
    >>>
    >>> That being said, check the entries of:
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>>
    >>> and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    >>> exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    >>> Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into
    >>> the above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose,
    >>> for example:
    >>>
    >>> "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >>>
    >>> .exe -compose

    >> Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set
    >> to "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything
    >> seems to work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it
    >> alone.
    >>
    >> I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    >> little intimidating to do so. :-[

    > the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    > browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    > under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    > programs on your machine.
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software
    >
    > These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    > others, but these are a good start.

    Sounds like a good recommendation gwtc. I looked as I searched for the
    3 keys, and saw tons of stuff in there. I'll definitely look around
    some more. Can you recommend another editor or something else to look
    at the registry with that may perhaps be more safe than regedit? I'd
    sure hate to inadvertently screw things up.

  15. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    gwtc wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Thats one option that should work. The other is to hack the
    >>> registry, but only if you know what you're doing. You could cause
    >>> more problems.
    >>>
    >>> That being said, check the entries of:
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\mailto\shell\o pen\command
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird\protocols\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>>
    >>> and make sure that they all point to Thunderbird. You can get the
    >>> exact location by right clicking on the TB icon, and select
    >>> Properties, and copy whatever is in Target. Then paste that into
    >>> the above areas, and add a space then a dash then the word compose,
    >>> for example:
    >>>
    >>> "c:\program files\mozilla thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -compose
    >>>
    >>> .exe -compose

    >> Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set
    >> to "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything
    >> seems to work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it
    >> alone.
    >>
    >> I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    >> little intimidating to do so. :-[

    > the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    > browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    > under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    > programs on your machine.
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    > HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software
    >
    > These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    > others, but these are a good start.

    Sounds like a good recommendation gwtc. I looked as I searched for the
    3 keys, and saw tons of stuff in there. I'll definitely look around
    some more. Can you recommend another editor or something else to look
    at the registry with that may perhaps be more safe than regedit? I'd
    sure hate to inadvertently screw things up.

  16. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:

    >>>Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set
    >>>to "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything
    >>>seems to work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it
    >>>alone.
    >>>
    >>>I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    >>>little intimidating to do so. :-[

    >>the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    >>browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    >>under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    >>programs on your machine.
    >>
    >>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    >>HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software
    >>
    >>These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    >>others, but these are a good start.

    > Sounds like a good recommendation gwtc. I looked as I searched for the
    > 3 keys, and saw tons of stuff in there. I'll definitely look around
    > some more. Can you recommend another editor or something else to look
    > at the registry with that may perhaps be more safe than regedit? I'd
    > sure hate to inadvertently screw things up.

    No, all I know is regedit. Just browsing around in the registry can't
    hurt things.

    Oh, wait a minute. I just remembered something. This site lists some
    tweeks you can manually do to windows, and which registry keys and so
    on: http://www.winguides.com/. When I discovered this years ago, I
    learn a lot from them.

  17. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:

    >>>Thanks gwtc, I checked those 3 registry keys and the top two were set
    >>>to "mail" instead of "compose". I changed them and now everything
    >>>seems to work well. The bottom key was "compose %1", so I left it
    >>>alone.
    >>>
    >>>I've not ever fooled around with registry keys before, so it was a
    >>>little intimidating to do so. :-[

    >>the registry isn't all that complicated. My recommendation is to
    >>browse through them and see what goes on. The best place is to look
    >>under Software. Here you will find lots of info about all the
    >>programs on your machine.
    >>
    >>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    >>HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software
    >>
    >>These are the only areas that you need to know about. There are
    >>others, but these are a good start.

    > Sounds like a good recommendation gwtc. I looked as I searched for the
    > 3 keys, and saw tons of stuff in there. I'll definitely look around
    > some more. Can you recommend another editor or something else to look
    > at the registry with that may perhaps be more safe than regedit? I'd
    > sure hate to inadvertently screw things up.

    No, all I know is regedit. Just browsing around in the registry can't
    hurt things.

    Oh, wait a minute. I just remembered something. This site lists some
    tweeks you can manually do to windows, and which registry keys and so
    on: http://www.winguides.com/. When I discovered this years ago, I
    learn a lot from them.

  18. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the TB
    > Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some other
    > OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    > and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But it
    > won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    With both TB and FF closed.

    Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types

    Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use DDE"
    box is checked. Then OK your way out.

    Reboot your system.

    Does mailto work correctly now?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  19. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Dan wrote:

    > That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the TB
    > Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some other
    > OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE for a while
    > and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back to TB. But it
    > won't work the next time I boot up, only for that session.

    With both TB and FF closed.

    Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types

    Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use DDE"
    box is checked. Then OK your way out.

    Reboot your system.

    Does mailto work correctly now?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  20. Re: Initiating Thunderbird compose-mail from Firefox

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> That's great Andrew. I just tried it again and what comes up is the
    >> TB Main window, not the Compose window. Are you on Windows or some
    >> other OS? Apparently, many people have this problem. If I use OE
    >> for a while and click a mailto in FF, it will work when I switch back
    >> to TB. But it won't work the next time I boot up, only for that
    >> session.

    > With both TB and FF closed.
    >
    > Windows Explorer>>Tools>>Folder Options>>File Types
    >
    > Scroll down to URL... URL:MailTo Protocol
    > Click the "Advanced" button; Click on the "open" entry, then Edit
    > Make sure the Application points to TB and ends with " -compose %1",
    > without the quotes , but *with* the space. Also make sure the "Use
    > DDE" box is checked. Then OK your way out.
    >
    > Reboot your system.
    >
    > Does mailto work correctly now?
    >
    > Irwin

    Thanks Irwin. When I scroll down to URL, there is no URL:MailTo
    Protocol. There is one URL line with "Internet Shortcut" as the File
    Type description. and "rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l" as the app
    to perform the action for "open". I am at a loss as to how to proceed
    from here.

    I changed some MailTo registry data values from "mail" to "compose"
    yesterday due to a recommendation from gwtc. That worked until I
    rebooted this morning. It went back to "mail".