open URLs in FF (not eLink) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on open URLs in FF (not eLink) - Mozilla ; I am running Fedora Core 3 & Tbrd 1.5(20051201). When I double click an address (URL) within a news group message, it opens into something with a title bar "ELink - - Mozilla - " I find this ELink window ...

  1. open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    I am running Fedora Core 3 & Tbrd 1.5(20051201).
    When I double click an address (URL) within a news
    group message, it opens into something with
    a title bar "ELink - - Mozilla - "

    I find this ELink window very hard to read. I would
    prefer to open the address (URL) in FireFox. Does
    there exist a configuration file that specifies the
    application to use to open a URL?
    Tnx,
    Charles

  2. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    charles cashion wrote:

    > I am running Fedora Core 3 & Tbrd 1.5(20051201).
    > When I double click an address (URL) within a news
    > group message, it opens into something with
    > a title bar "ELink - - Mozilla - "
    >
    > I find this ELink window very hard to read. I would
    > prefer to open the address (URL) in FireFox. Does
    > there exist a configuration file that specifies the
    > application to use to open a URL?

    What worked for me: In Firefox, Edit/Preferences/General/Check to see if FF
    is the default browser... I clicked 'Check Now' once and from then on
    thunderbird called up firefox to deal with URLs.

    I can picture a world without war, without hate. I can picture
    us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

  3. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > charles cashion wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Fedora Core 3 & Tbrd 1.5(20051201).
    >> When I double click an address (URL) within a news
    >> group message, it opens into something with
    >> a title bar "ELink - - Mozilla - "
    >>
    >> I find this ELink window very hard to read. I would
    >> prefer to open the address (URL) in FireFox. Does
    >> there exist a configuration file that specifies the
    >> application to use to open a URL?

    > What worked for me: In Firefox, Edit/Preferences/General/Check to see
    > if FF is the default browser... I clicked 'Check Now' once and from
    > then on thunderbird called up firefox to deal with URLs.

    Edit > Preferences > General(tab) does not have a 'Check Now' button.
    It has three sub-windows:
    1. Thunderbird Start Page
    2. When new messages arrive
    3. Connection
    Charles

  4. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> charles cashion wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running Fedora Core 3 & Tbrd 1.5(20051201).
    >>> When I double click an address (URL) within a news
    >>> group message, it opens into something with
    >>> a title bar "ELink - - Mozilla - "
    >>>
    >>> I find this ELink window very hard to read. I would
    >>> prefer to open the address (URL) in FireFox. Does
    >>> there exist a configuration file that specifies the
    >>> application to use to open a URL?

    >> What worked for me: In Firefox, Edit/Preferences/General/Check to
    >> see if FF is the default browser... I clicked 'Check Now' once and
    >> from then on thunderbird called up firefox to deal with URLs.
    >>

    > Edit > Preferences > General(tab) does not have a 'Check Now' button.
    > It has three sub-windows:
    > 1. Thunderbird Start Page
    > 2. When new messages arrive
    > 3. Connection
    > Charles

    In FIREFOX....... Tools/Options/Check to see....etc....

  5. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    Dan wrote:
    > In FIREFOX....... Tools/Options/Check to see....etc....

    Found that. Done That.
    New problem...
    When I am in Thunderbird 1.5 and I click a URL,
    NOTHING happens.
    Tnx,
    Charles

    I can cut-and-paste that URL into FF and it is valid.

  6. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    charles cashion wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >>In FIREFOX....... Tools/Options/Check to see....etc....

    > Found that. Done That.
    > New problem...
    > When I am in Thunderbird 1.5 and I click a URL,
    > NOTHING happens.
    > Tnx,
    > Charles
    >
    > I can cut-and-paste that URL into FF and it is valid.

    make sure that FF is set as your default browser.

  7. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >> In FIREFOX....... Tools/Options/Check to see....etc....

    > Found that. Done That.
    > New problem...
    > When I am in Thunderbird 1.5 and I click a URL,
    > NOTHING happens.
    > Tnx,
    > Charles
    >
    > I can cut-and-paste that URL into FF and it is valid.

    Close FF. Make IE your default browser. Open FF and make it your
    default browser.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion
    *Technical messages sent to my email address will be ignored*

    About Profiles -

  8. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > Close FF.
    > Make IE your default browser.
    > Open FF and make it your default browser.
    >
    > Irwin

    Open IE in Fedora Core ?
    Not an easy task.

    I can open FF and click Edit > Preferences > General Tab
    and the middle part has a button to click to
    make FF your default browser.

    about:config does give you one preference.
    "browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser user set boolean true"

    I wonder if there is something else?
    Something in a config file?
    Tnx,
    Charles

  9. Re: open URLs in FF (not eLink)

    charles cashion wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>
    >> Close FF. Make IE your default browser. Open FF and make it your
    >> default browser.
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Open IE in Fedora Core ?
    > Not an easy task.
    >
    > I can open FF and click Edit > Preferences > General Tab
    > and the middle part has a button to click to
    > make FF your default browser.
    >
    > about:config does give you one preference.
    > "browser.shell.checkDefaultBrowser user set boolean true"
    >
    > I wonder if there is something else?
    > Something in a config file?
    > Tnx,
    > Charles

    My bad ... didn't read carefully enough!

    Irwin