Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread) - Mozilla ; Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons? - Watch message - Ignore message - Flag message - Mark as read - Mark as unread - Mark thread as read - Mark all as read nntpthreads 0.0.3 This extension ...

  1. Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?

    - Watch message
    - Ignore message
    - Flag message

    - Mark thread as read
    - Mark all as read

    nntpthreads 0.0.3

    This extension adds buttons for different views (All, Threads with
    Unread, Watched Threads with Unread, Ignored Threads), but it does not
    provide buttons to actually Watch or Ignore a message. To Watch or
    Ignore a message, you have to go to the Message menu and select Watch
    Thread or Ignore Thread. The nntpthreads extension does have a neat
    feature that lets you change the text color for the first message in a
    thread you want to watch. It does not have this feature for ignore.

  2. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    On 24.02.2006 10:16 UK Time, Sea Star wrote:
    > Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >
    > - Watch message
    > - Ignore message
    > - Flag message

    > - Mark thread as read
    > - Mark all as read
    >

    > nntpthreads 0.0.3
    >
    > This extension adds buttons for different views (All, Threads with
    > Unread, Watched Threads with Unread, Ignored Threads), but it does not
    > provide buttons to actually Watch or Ignore a message. To Watch or
    > Ignore a message, you have to go to the Message menu and select Watch
    > Thread or Ignore Thread. The nntpthreads extension does have a neat
    > feature that lets you change the text color for the first message in a
    > thread you want to watch. It does not have this feature for ignore.

    You don't *have* to go to the Message menu - you can use keyboard shortcuts.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Herb sent a subspace message on 2/24/2006 2:25 AM:
    > On 24.02.2006 10:16 UK Time, Sea Star wrote:
    >> Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >>
    >> - Watch message
    >> - Ignore message
    >> - Flag message

    >> - Mark thread as read
    >> - Mark all as read
    >>

    >> nntpthreads 0.0.3
    >>
    >> This extension adds buttons for different views (All, Threads with
    >> Unread, Watched Threads with Unread, Ignored Threads), but it does not
    >> provide buttons to actually Watch or Ignore a message. To Watch or
    >> Ignore a message, you have to go to the Message menu and select Watch
    >> Thread or Ignore Thread. The nntpthreads extension does have a neat
    >> feature that lets you change the text color for the first message in a
    >> thread you want to watch. It does not have this feature for ignore.

    > You don't *have* to go to the Message menu - you can use keyboard
    > shortcuts.

    Yes, but it would be easier for me to have buttons. I can't remember
    shortcut keys.

  4. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    On 24.02.2006 11:28 UK Time, Sea Star wrote:
    > Herb sent a subspace message on 2/24/2006 2:25 AM:
    >> On 24.02.2006 10:16 UK Time, Sea Star wrote:
    >>> Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >>>
    >>> - Watch message
    >>> - Ignore message
    >>> - Flag message

    >>> - Mark thread as read
    >>> - Mark all as read
    >>>

    >>> nntpthreads 0.0.3
    >>>
    >>> This extension adds buttons for different views (All, Threads with
    >>> Unread, Watched Threads with Unread, Ignored Threads), but it does
    >>> not provide buttons to actually Watch or Ignore a message. To Watch
    >>> or Ignore a message, you have to go to the Message menu and select
    >>> Watch Thread or Ignore Thread. The nntpthreads extension does have a
    >>> neat feature that lets you change the text color for the first
    >>> message in a thread you want to watch. It does not have this feature
    >>> for ignore.

    >> You don't *have* to go to the Message menu - you can use keyboard
    >> shortcuts.
    >>

    > Yes, but it would be easier for me to have buttons. I can't remember
    > shortcut keys.

    I know the feeling :-(

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    On 24-02-2006 11:16 CET, Sea Star composed this enchanting statement:
    > Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >
    > - Watch message
    > - Ignore message
    > - Flag message

    > - Mark thread as read
    > - Mark all as read
    >

    > nntpthreads 0.0.3
    >
    > This extension adds buttons for different views (All, Threads with
    > Unread, Watched Threads with Unread, Ignored Threads), but it does not
    > provide buttons to actually Watch or Ignore a message. To Watch or
    > Ignore a message, you have to go to the Message menu and select Watch
    > Thread or Ignore Thread. The nntpthreads extension does have a neat
    > feature that lets you change the text color for the first message in a
    > thread you want to watch. It does not have this feature for ignore.

    Try option customize on the view menu, toolbars options: mark messages icon.

    This then leaves two key commands to remember: watch and ignore
    message/thread.

    --
    Kind regards,

    Melchert

    MacOS 10.3.9/Firefox 1.5/Thunderbird 1.5

  6. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    _Sea Star_ spoke thusly on 24/02/2006 5:16 AM:
    > Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >
    > - Watch message
    > - Ignore message
    > - Flag message

    > - Mark thread as read
    > - Mark all as read

    View -> Toolbars -> Customize.
    There should be a "Mark" button available, which acts as a toggle
    between read/unread status. It contains a dropdown, to mark thread as
    read, mark all read, mark read by date, and a flag message toggle.

    I don't know of any extension to add toolbar buttons for marking
    watched/ignored threads.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  7. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Sea Star wrote:
    > Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >
    > - Watch message
    > - Ignore message
    > - Flag message

    > - Mark thread as read
    > - Mark all as read

    Yes. You can use the Customizable Toolbar Button extension for Thunderbird.

    Link - http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=370

    There's a separate one for Firefox. Install the extension and re-start
    Thunderbird. There's no complete documentation, so I hope this helps...

    Click TOOLS > EXTENSIONS

    Select the CUSTOMIZABLE TOOBAR BUTTONS entry and double-click it to open
    up its option screen.

    Click NEW BUTTON ( near the bottom). On the list to the left, you'll get
    a new entry NEW ITEM which you ought to select.

    Fill in the fields as follows:

    FIELD VALUE
    localname ======== toolbarbutton
    label ======== Mark Thread (or whatever you like, this
    what you'll see under the button)
    tooltiptext ======== Mark All Threads as Read ( this is what you
    see in the tooltip when you hover the mouse)

    Next, click the VIEW button. In the IMAGE= field browse to an icon /
    image of choice to display that as the icon for your button.

    After this click EVENT1 - here's the tricky part- figuring out the
    command - clear out everything already there and enter the following:
    goDoCommand('cmd_markThreadAsRead')

    Click APPLY and CLOSE.

    Now you need the buttons to be displayed on the toolbar, so RIGHT-CLICK
    the toolbar and choose CUSTOMIZE, in the list of available button there
    should be one called CUSTOMIZABLE TOOLBAR BUTTONS (obviously!). Drag it
    to the toolbar and you're all set.

    Here are the other commands you need to put in the EVENT1 field for your
    other buttons

    Watch Thread ======== goDoCommand('cmd_watchThread')

    Kill Thread ======== goDoCommand('cmd_killThread')

    Flag message ======== goDoCommand('cmd_markAsFlagged')

    toggle button.

    Mark all as read ======= goDoCommand('cmd_markAllRead')

    Hope this helps !

    --
    Regards,
    Sparx

    Tagline:

    "The gap between the Ferrari Enzo and the Mercedes SLR is as wide as the
    gap between Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard." -- Jeremy Clarkson,
    Host of "Top Gear"

  8. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote:
    > Sea Star wrote:
    >
    >>Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >>
    >>- Watch message
    >>- Ignore message
    >>- Flag message

    >>- Mark thread as read
    >>- Mark all as read
    >>

    > Yes. You can use the Customizable Toolbar Button extension for Thunderbird.
    >
    > Link - http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=370
    >
    > There's a separate one for Firefox. Install the extension and re-start
    > Thunderbird. There's no complete documentation, so I hope this helps...
    >

    > Click TOOLS > EXTENSIONS
    >
    > Select the CUSTOMIZABLE TOOBAR BUTTONS entry and double-click it to open
    > up its option screen.
    >
    > Click NEW BUTTON ( near the bottom). On the list to the left, you'll get
    > a new entry NEW ITEM which you ought to select.
    >
    > Fill in the fields as follows:
    >
    > FIELD VALUE
    > localname ======== toolbarbutton
    > label ======== Mark Thread (or whatever you like, this
    > what you'll see under the button)
    > tooltiptext ======== Mark All Threads as Read ( this is what you
    > see in the tooltip when you hover the mouse)
    >
    > Next, click the VIEW button. In the IMAGE= field browse to an icon /
    > image of choice to display that as the icon for your button.
    >
    > After this click EVENT1 - here's the tricky part- figuring out the
    > command - clear out everything already there and enter the following:
    > goDoCommand('cmd_markThreadAsRead')
    >
    > Click APPLY and CLOSE.
    >
    > Now you need the buttons to be displayed on the toolbar, so RIGHT-CLICK
    > the toolbar and choose CUSTOMIZE, in the list of available button there
    > should be one called CUSTOMIZABLE TOOLBAR BUTTONS (obviously!). Drag it
    > to the toolbar and you're all set.
    >
    > Here are the other commands you need to put in the EVENT1 field for your
    > other buttons
    >
    > Watch Thread ======== goDoCommand('cmd_watchThread')
    >
    > Kill Thread ======== goDoCommand('cmd_killThread')
    >
    > Flag message ======== goDoCommand('cmd_markAsFlagged')

    > toggle button.
    >
    > Mark all as read ======= goDoCommand('cmd_markAllRead')
    >

    > Hope this helps !

    Right, very nice, unfortunately it does not work on linux, or TB 1.5.

    Also, commands can be combined:

    Mark thread as read and move to next unread message:
    goDoCommand('cmd_markThreadAsRead');
    goDoCommand('cmd_nextUnreadMsg');

    Mark group as read and move to next unread message:
    goDoCommand('cmd_markAllRead');
    goDoCommand('cmd_nextUnreadMsg');

    Michel.

  9. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > Reply to Newsgroup ====== goDoCommand('cmd_replyToNewsgroup')
    >
    > a good guess as to the correct command for that function - I have one of
    > those really irritating mailing lists where the "reply to" is set to the
    > poster's e-mail address not the list address. Some time back, when you
    > helped me with a similar query, I recall you either posted a list, or a URL
    > for a list, of most of the commands available - could you possibly repeat that?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    Reply to Newsgroup is goDoCommand('cmd_replyGroup')

    All these commands are located in the mailwindowoverlay.xul file. I'm
    not sure about its location, but it might be embedded in a JAR file in
    your profile directory or the main TB directory.

    --
    Regards,
    Sparx

    Tagline:

    "The gap between the Ferrari Enzo and the Mercedes SLR is as wide as the
    gap between Michael Schumacher and David Coulthard." -- Jeremy Clarkson,
    Host of "Top Gear"

  10. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote

    >> Reply to Newsgroup ====== goDoCommand('cmd_replyToNewsgroup')
    >>
    >> a good guess as to the correct command for that function - I have one of
    >> those really irritating mailing lists where the "reply to" is set to the
    >> poster's e-mail address not the list address. Some time back, when you
    >> helped me with a similar query, I recall you either posted a list, or a URL
    >> for a list, of most of the commands available - could you possibly repeat that?

    > Reply to Newsgroup is goDoCommand('cmd_replyGroup')

    That would explain why my guess didn't work. Thanks.

    > All these commands are located in the mailwindowoverlay.xul file. I'm
    > not sure about its location, but it might be embedded in a JAR file in
    > your profile directory or the main TB directory.

    I've printed out the message this time to file away. I'll trace the file and
    save a copy of that too.
    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  11. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    dillinger sent a subspace message on 2/26/2006 9:20 AM:
    > Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote:
    >> Sea Star wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does Thunderbird have any extensions that add these buttons?
    >>>
    >>> - Watch message
    >>> - Ignore message
    >>> - Flag message

    >>> - Mark thread as read
    >>> - Mark all as read
    >>>

    >> Yes. You can use the Customizable Toolbar Button extension for
    >> Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Link - http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=370
    >>
    >> There's a separate one for Firefox. Install the extension and re-start
    >> Thunderbird. There's no complete documentation, so I hope this helps...

    > Right, very nice, unfortunately it does not work on linux, or TB 1.5.

    Is there a version somewhere that DOES work on TB 1.5? Even the Enhanced
    version at the Extension Mirror is only for TB 1.0. There is, however, a
    version for Firefox 1.5. Why isn't there one for TB 1.5?

  12. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Sea Star wrote:
    > dillinger sent a subspace message on 2/26/2006 9:20 AM:
    >> Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote:

    >>> Yes. You can use the Customizable Toolbar Button extension for
    >>> Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Link - http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=370
    >>>
    >>> There's a separate one for Firefox. Install the extension and re-start
    >>> Thunderbird. There's no complete documentation, so I hope this helps...

    >> Right, very nice, unfortunately it does not work on linux, or TB 1.5.
    >>

    > Is there a version somewhere that DOES work on TB 1.5? Even the Enhanced
    > version at the Extension Mirror is only for TB 1.0. There is, however, a
    > version for Firefox 1.5. Why isn't there one for TB 1.5?

    I created a "Mark Thread as Read" button for TB several versions back
    (late 2004?) , and it has continued to work as I've upgraded to the
    newer versions including TB 1.5.

    Al

  13. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Al Bert wrote

    >>> Right, very nice, unfortunately it does not work on linux, or TB 1.5.

    >> Is there a version somewhere that DOES work on TB 1.5? Even the Enhanced
    >> version at the Extension Mirror is only for TB 1.0. There is, however, a
    >> version for Firefox 1.5. Why isn't there one for TB 1.5?

    > I created a "Mark Thread as Read" button for TB several versions back
    > (late 2004?) , and it has continued to work as I've upgraded to the
    > newer versions including TB 1.5.

    It still works here (v. 0.1.4) under TB 1.5 too, although it could be
    courtesy of Nightly Tester Tools extension. I've been using it for a "Mark
    Newsgroup as Read" key for ages. My interest rekindled by this discussion,
    and steered in the right direction by Sparx, I've just added a "Reply to
    Newsgroup" key that works well too. Pity they're all in one block, but you
    can't have everything.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  14. Re: Add buttons to Thunderbird (Watch, Ignore, Read, Unread)

    Bob Henson wrote

    > Sparx [ S M Parekh ] wrote
    >
    >>> Reply to Newsgroup ====== goDoCommand('cmd_replyToNewsgroup')
    >>>
    >>> a good guess as to the correct command for that function - I have one of
    >>> those really irritating mailing lists where the "reply to" is set to the
    >>> poster's e-mail address not the list address. Some time back, when you
    >>> helped me with a similar query, I recall you either posted a list, or a URL
    >>> for a list, of most of the commands available - could you possibly repeat that?

    >> Reply to Newsgroup is goDoCommand('cmd_replyGroup')

    > That would explain why my guess didn't work. Thanks.
    >
    >> All these commands are located in the mailwindowoverlay.xul file. I'm
    >> not sure about its location, but it might be embedded in a JAR file in
    >> your profile directory or the main TB directory.

    > I've printed out the message this time to file away. I'll trace the file and
    > save a copy of that too.
    > Thanks again.

    P.S. for anyone interested, the file is under the main Thunderbird
    directory/chrome/messenger.jar.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

+ Reply to Thread