second email account - Mozilla

This is a discussion on second email account - Mozilla ; After some effort, I've managed to set up two functioning email accounts under one profile in T-bird 1.5. I can now send and receive email from each account. But there is one lingering problem I haven't been able to solve. ...

  1. second email account

    After some effort, I've managed to set up two functioning email accounts
    under one profile in T-bird 1.5. I can now send and receive email from each
    account.

    But there is one lingering problem I haven't been able to solve. When I
    close the program and then reopen it, the second account disappears. When
    this happens I have to re-setup the account. Once I do this the saved
    password, username and SMTP server identity from the previous second account
    are still good and the few pieces of mail return to where they originally
    were.

    Compared to where I was with this a couple of days ago, this is real
    progress. If I can just get through this one, I should be home free.

  2. Re: second email account

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > After some effort, I've managed to set up two functioning email accounts
    > under one profile in T-bird 1.5. I can now send and receive email from each
    > account.
    >
    > But there is one lingering problem I haven't been able to solve. When I
    > close the program and then reopen it, the second account disappears. When
    > this happens I have to re-setup the account. Once I do this the saved
    > password, username and SMTP server identity from the previous second account
    > are still good and the few pieces of mail return to where they originally
    > were.
    >
    > Compared to where I was with this a couple of days ago, this is real
    > progress. If I can just get through this one, I should be home free.

    If you close TB and open prefs.js in a text editor, you will probably
    fine numerous references to this second account, from times you have
    tried to create it, then delete it, then create it again. This is
    getting TB confused.

    You may well not want to hear this, but the easiest fix is to create a
    new profile, set up your two accounts, then transfer the data from the
    old profile to the new profile.

    The other way is to edit prefs.js to remove the excess references to the
    account. If you choose to do this, be sure to back up prefs.js before
    proceeding, so you can always revert to square one.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: second email account

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> After some effort, I've managed to set up two functioning email
    >> accounts under one profile in T-bird 1.5. I can now send and receive
    >> email from each account.
    >>
    >> But there is one lingering problem I haven't been able to solve.
    >> When I close the program and then reopen it, the second account
    >> disappears. When this happens I have to re-setup the account. Once I
    >> do this the saved password, username and SMTP server identity from
    >> the previous second account are still good and the few pieces of
    >> mail return to where they originally were.
    >>
    >> Compared to where I was with this a couple of days ago, this is real
    >> progress. If I can just get through this one, I should be home free.
    >>

    > If you close TB and open prefs.js in a text editor, you will probably
    > fine numerous references to this second account, from times you have
    > tried to create it, then delete it, then create it again. This is
    > getting TB confused.
    >
    > You may well not want to hear this, but the easiest fix is to create a
    > new profile, set up your two accounts, then transfer the data from the
    > old profile to the new profile.
    >
    > The other way is to edit prefs.js to remove the excess references to
    > the account. If you choose to do this, be sure to back up prefs.js
    > before proceeding, so you can always revert to square one.
    >
    > Lee

    Well, that about fills out my calendar for February.

    But actually you've given me an unbiased appraisal of the situation that I
    couldn't have come up with myself, so thanks for that, and a lot of stuff
    can be transferred over, prefs.js definitely not being a part of that.

    Since the two new accounts will be set up "bare bones" to start, if the
    problem persists then it will be safe to conclude that I'm doing something
    procedurally wrong and I can post back.

    Roger

  4. Re: second email account

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    /snip/

    > Well, that about fills out my calendar for February.
    >
    > But actually you've given me an unbiased appraisal of the situation that I
    > couldn't have come up with myself, so thanks for that, and a lot of stuff
    > can be transferred over, prefs.js definitely not being a part of that.
    >
    > Since the two new accounts will be set up "bare bones" to start, if the
    > problem persists then it will be safe to conclude that I'm doing something
    > procedurally wrong and I can post back.
    >
    > Roger

    Probably true, but keep in touch, we can help!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: second email account

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Roger Fink wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> Well, that about fills out my calendar for February.
    >>
    >> But actually you've given me an unbiased appraisal of the situation
    >> that I couldn't have come up with myself, so thanks for that, and a
    >> lot of stuff can be transferred over, prefs.js definitely not being
    >> a part of that.
    >>
    >> Since the two new accounts will be set up "bare bones" to start, if
    >> the problem persists then it will be safe to conclude that I'm doing
    >> something procedurally wrong and I can post back.
    >>
    >> Roger

    > Probably true, but keep in touch, we can help!

    > Lee

    Your advice was the correct advice, and, after starting from scratch in a
    new profile, setting up the two accounts was relatively straightforward. The
    only hang-up, but a big one, is that certain extensions which are current
    for 1.5 (I checked this at Mozilla Add-ons) and which are successfully
    installed in my other profile will not install. Instead a message appears
    saying that they are only good for versions 0.7 to 1.0+ (No New Window on
    Double Click v.0.2.3-tb), or 1.0 to 1.0+ (buttons! v.0.5.1-tb). The three
    others I use: Contacts Sidebar, Dictionary Search, and Quote Colors all
    installed without a problem.

    By a very strange coincidence the two problem extensions have the same
    author, and the last update shown for each is September 10, so maybe the
    site has just listed them incorrectly, but that still begs the question of
    how I was able to successfully install them in the first place. If you check
    the posted comments, some people with 1.5 have been able to install them and
    some have not. For those who succeeded, maybe they somehow automatically
    "migrated" from earlier T-bird installs rather than installed from scratch.

    In any case if you can figure how to get these to work, I'd sure be
    interested.

  6. Re: second email account

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >> /snip/

    /snip/

    > Your advice was the correct advice, and, after starting from scratch in a
    > new profile, setting up the two accounts was relatively straightforward. The
    > only hang-up, but a big one, is that certain extensions which are current
    > for 1.5 (I checked this at Mozilla Add-ons) and which are successfully
    > installed in my other profile will not install. Instead a message appears
    > saying that they are only good for versions 0.7 to 1.0+ (No New Window on
    > Double Click v.0.2.3-tb), or 1.0 to 1.0+ (buttons! v.0.5.1-tb). The three
    > others I use: Contacts Sidebar, Dictionary Search, and Quote Colors all
    > installed without a problem.
    >
    > By a very strange coincidence the two problem extensions have the same
    > author, and the last update shown for each is September 10, so maybe the
    > site has just listed them incorrectly, but that still begs the question of
    > how I was able to successfully install them in the first place. If you check
    > the posted comments, some people with 1.5 have been able to install them and
    > some have not. For those who succeeded, maybe they somehow automatically
    > "migrated" from earlier T-bird installs rather than installed from scratch.
    >
    > In any case if you can figure how to get these to work, I'd sure be
    > interested.

    Nightly Tester Tools:

    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...d/nightly.html

    Install NTT, then install No New Window on Double Click, using the Make
    compatible option. I can attest that the extension will work on 1.5.

    You may be able to do the same for Buttons!, but I don;t use that one
    myself.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: second email account

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> /snip/

    > /snip/
    >

    >> Your advice was the correct advice, and, after starting from scratch
    >> in a new profile, setting up the two accounts was relatively
    >> straightforward. The only hang-up, but a big one, is that certain
    >> extensions which are current for 1.5 (I checked this at Mozilla
    >> Add-ons) and which are successfully installed in my other profile
    >> will not install. Instead a message appears saying that they are
    >> only good for versions 0.7 to 1.0+ (No New Window on Double Click
    >> v.0.2.3-tb), or 1.0 to 1.0+ (buttons! v.0.5.1-tb). The three others
    >> I use: Contacts Sidebar, Dictionary Search, and Quote Colors all
    >> installed without a problem.
    >>
    >> By a very strange coincidence the two problem extensions have the
    >> same author, and the last update shown for each is September 10, so
    >> maybe the site has just listed them incorrectly, but that still begs
    >> the question of how I was able to successfully install them in the
    >> first place. If you check the posted comments, some people with 1.5
    >> have been able to install them and some have not. For those who
    >> succeeded, maybe they somehow automatically "migrated" from earlier
    >> T-bird installs rather than installed from scratch.
    >>
    >> In any case if you can figure how to get these to work, I'd sure be
    >> interested.

    > Nightly Tester Tools:
    >
    > http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...d/nightly.html
    >
    > Install NTT, then install No New Window on Double Click, using the
    > Make compatible option. I can attest that the extension will work on
    > 1.5.
    >
    > You may be able to do the same for Buttons!, but I don;t use that one
    > myself.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee thanks a lot. That thing is the Mozilla Holy Grail.

  8. Re: second email account

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>> Your advice was the correct advice, and, after starting from scratch
    >>> in a new profile, setting up the two accounts was relatively
    >>> straightforward. The only hang-up, but a big one, is that certain
    >>> extensions which are current for 1.5 (I checked this at Mozilla
    >>> Add-ons) and which are successfully installed in my other profile
    >>> will not install. Instead a message appears saying that they are
    >>> only good for versions 0.7 to 1.0+ (No New Window on Double Click
    >>> v.0.2.3-tb), or 1.0 to 1.0+ (buttons! v.0.5.1-tb). The three others
    >>> I use: Contacts Sidebar, Dictionary Search, and Quote Colors all
    >>> installed without a problem.
    >>>
    >>> By a very strange coincidence the two problem extensions have the
    >>> same author, and the last update shown for each is September 10, so
    >>> maybe the site has just listed them incorrectly, but that still begs
    >>> the question of how I was able to successfully install them in the
    >>> first place. If you check the posted comments, some people with 1.5
    >>> have been able to install them and some have not. For those who
    >>> succeeded, maybe they somehow automatically "migrated" from earlier
    >>> T-bird installs rather than installed from scratch.
    >>>
    >>> In any case if you can figure how to get these to work, I'd sure be
    >>> interested.

    >> Nightly Tester Tools:
    >>
    >> http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...d/nightly.html
    >>
    >> Install NTT, then install No New Window on Double Click, using the
    >> Make compatible option. I can attest that the extension will work on
    >> 1.5.
    >>
    >> You may be able to do the same for Buttons!, but I don;t use that one
    >> myself.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Lee thanks a lot. That thing is the Mozilla Holy Grail.

    The caveat about NT is that if you use it to bump an extension that has
    problems more serious than the maxversion, it can cause profile
    problems. Used judiciously though, it is a great tool.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/