How can i use spacebar to scroll? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How can i use spacebar to scroll? - Mozilla ; I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though, is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using spacebar. Is there ...

  1. How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though,
    is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using
    spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added by the user?
    If not, could it be added to next release?

  2. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    En/na Simeon Renais ha escrit:
    > I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    > user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though,
    > is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using
    > spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added by the user?
    > If not, could it be added to next release?

    i just discovered thta with spacebar, you can scroll the message pane
    and jump to the next message when it's done!!!

    thanks for discovering me this feature :P :P

    don't know about the header pane though...

  3. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:

    > I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    > user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though,
    > is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using
    > spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added by the user?
    > If not, could it be added to next release?

    it works. You have to have focus in that pane. I mean click on a
    message within that pane, then use space bar and it works.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:
    > I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    > user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though,
    > is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using
    > spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added by the user?
    > If not, could it be added to next release?

    From here, the spacebar goes to the next unread message. If you want
    to go to the next message, read or unread, use the down arrow.

    Note, this is on a Mac, I think its the same behavior in Windows.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

  5. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    gwtc wrote:
    > Simeon Renais wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    >> user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client, though,
    >> is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd pane)using
    >> spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added by the
    >> user? If not, could it be added to next release?

    > it works. You have to have focus in that pane. I mean click on a
    > message within that pane, then use space bar and it works.

    O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,

    header 1
    re header 1 poster1
    re header 2 poster2
    etc

    It doesn't do that.

  6. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Simeon Renais wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using TB for a few days and find it quite intuitive and
    >>> user-friendly. One thing I miss a lot from my previous client,
    >>> though, is the ability to scroll down header pane (right hsnd
    >>> pane)using spacebar. Is there any way this functionality can be added
    >>> by the user? If not, could it be added to next release?

    >> it works. You have to have focus in that pane. I mean click on a
    >> message within that pane, then use space bar and it works.
    >>

    > O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    > message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,
    >
    > header 1
    > re header 1 poster1
    > re header 2 poster2
    > etc
    >
    > It doesn't do that.

    wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

  7. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    clay wrote:
    > Simeon Renais wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> it works. You have to have focus in that pane. I mean click on a
    >>> message within that pane, then use space bar and it works.
    >>>

    >> O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    >> message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,
    >>
    >> header 1
    >> re header 1 poster1
    >> re header 2 poster2
    >> etc
    >>
    >> It doesn't do that.

    > wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    > it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

    This is a support group. There's plenty of others for sarcasm.

  8. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> Simeon Renais wrote:

    >>> O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    >>> message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,
    >>>
    >>> header 1
    >>> re header 1 poster1
    >>> re header 2 poster2
    >>> etc
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't do that.

    >> wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    >> it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

    > This is a support group. There's plenty of others for sarcasm.

    I think what you're looking for is to have the programmed for
    scrolling through headers //as well as// individual messages. IIRC
    Netscape Communicator did that but i might be mistaken. Looks like
    Thunderbird doesn't.

    P.S. If i were you i'd ignore ignoramuses who don't contribute anything.

    --Richard

  9. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    > P.S. If i were you i'd ignore ignoramuses who don't contribute anything.
    >
    > --Richard

    Now you've gone and got everyone confused :-) FWIW we're probably the
    only two from the UK anyway ;-}

  10. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> Simeon Renais wrote:

    >>> O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    >>> message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,
    >>>
    >>> header 1
    >>> re header 1 poster1
    >>> re header 2 poster2
    >>> etc
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't do that.

    >> wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    >> it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

    > This is a support group. There's plenty of others for sarcasm.

    well... no sarcasm intended. For whatever the space bar "should" do, I
    like what it does and am glad I saw this thread or I wouldn't have
    thought to try it...

    Thanks for the insight though.
    I would have never figured out that this was a support group judging by
    all the bitching and complaining about how this and that doesn't work
    like it should/ used to.
    As one of the other regulars likes to suggest: If you're not happy with
    the product, send it back for a refund.

  11. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Richard Dearlove wrote:
    > Simeon Renais wrote:
    >> clay wrote:

    >>> wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    >>> it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

    >> This is a support group. There's plenty of others for sarcasm.

    > I think what you're looking for is to have the programmed for
    > scrolling through headers //as well as// individual messages. IIRC
    > Netscape Communicator did that but i might be mistaken. Looks like
    > Thunderbird doesn't.
    >
    > P.S. If i were you i'd ignore ignoramuses who don't contribute anything.
    >
    > --Richard

    ignoramus here
    fwiw, the scroll bar *does* scroll the message as well as the headers.
    Press it once, it shows the top of the next message, press again and it
    pages down through the message. Get to the bottom of the message and it
    selects the next message at the top of the text.
    Works here anyway...
    TB version 1.5 (20051201) XPP sp2
    ymmv.

  12. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    > fwiw, the scroll bar *does* scroll the message as well as the headers.
    > Press it once, it shows the top of the next message, press again and it
    > pages down through the message. Get to the bottom of the message and it
    > selects the next message at the top of the text.
    > Works here anyway...
    > TB version 1.5 (20051201) XPP sp2
    > ymmv.

    You make a good point about the "complainants". TB is free after all and
    a very solid product. I think though that most folks posting here are
    genuine "seekers".

    But I think the poster (Renais) was politely asking whether or not TB
    could give scrolling through the headers (not messages) as does (IIRC)
    NCommunicator. Yes it //does// indeed scroll "through the message" as
    you rightly say. But i don't think it scrolls through the headers. IMO
    that would be a useful feature.

    Maybe it's programmable for the end user? Over to the TB/mozilla champions!

  13. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Simeon Renais wrote:

    > clay wrote:
    >
    >>Simeon Renais wrote:

    >>>O no it doesn't. It scrolls down as message and thne up pops the next
    >>>message. But if all I have in the pane is the headers; i,e,
    >>>
    >>>header 1
    >>> re header 1 poster1
    >>> re header 2 poster2
    >>> etc
    >>>
    >>>It doesn't do that.

    >>wow... neat feature. never knew the space bar did this.
    >>it even answers the silly popup when moving to the next group. cool.

    > This is a support group. There's plenty of others for sarcasm.

    what sarcasm? I saw none. The poster found the feature usefull and
    wanted everyone to know about it. Good for him/her/it ;-)

    --
    Time for a change

  14. Re: How can i use spacebar to scroll?

    Alan wrote:

    >> fwiw, the scroll bar *does* scroll the message as well as the headers.
    >> Press it once, it shows the top of the next message, press again and
    >> it pages down through the message. Get to the bottom of the message
    >> and it selects the next message at the top of the text.
    >> Works here anyway...
    >> TB version 1.5 (20051201) XPP sp2
    >> ymmv.

    > You make a good point about the "complainants". TB is free after all and
    > a very solid product. I think though that most folks posting here are
    > genuine "seekers".
    >
    > But I think the poster (Renais) was politely asking whether or not TB
    > could give scrolling through the headers (not messages) as does (IIRC)
    > NCommunicator. Yes it //does// indeed scroll "through the message" as
    > you rightly say. But i don't think it scrolls through the headers. IMO
    > that would be a useful feature.
    >
    > Maybe it's programmable for the end user? Over to the TB/mozilla champions!

    After playing with it a bit, I see what I think is the op's issue with it.
    It does jump from post to post *if* the threads are not expanded and
    then only in chronological order.
    If you want to jump to the next thread in a post, no joy.
    I view threads collapsed and sorted by subject so for me, the only thing
    that sucks about it is it jumps to the next post by date and not the
    Still a useful tool for reading long posts...

+ Reply to Thread