Run as Other User - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Run as Other User - Mozilla ; Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I changed something somewhere so that now this is the problem: I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen entitled "Run as Other User" ...

  1. Run as Other User

    Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I changed
    something somewhere so that now this is the problem:
    I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen entitled
    "Run as Other User" pops up first. There I either have to enter a
    password as administrator of change to my name and then ok it before I
    get to the profile screen asking me to choose which profile to use (as
    it always did). This strange screen is a nuisance, and I seek help in
    getting rid of it and going directly to the choose-profile screen.

    This is a stand-alone pc at home.
    Windows 2000 pro.
    TB version 1.0.6
    No extensions and default everything else.

    As you can tell from my shaky vocabulary, I am not used to tweaking
    computers. I used Windows Explorer to try to identify where the problem
    might be, but either I could not see it or I could not understand what I
    was seeing. I hope this is enough information for someone to help me
    get rid of this unwanted screen.

    Paul in San Francisco
    * p.s. It turned out that TB was working fine; my ISP had crashed.

  2. Re: Run as Other User

    Paul MR wrote:
    > Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I changed
    > something somewhere so that now this is the problem:
    > I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen entitled
    > "Run as Other User" pops up first. There I either have to enter a
    > password as administrator of change to my name and then ok it before I
    > get to the profile screen asking me to choose which profile to use (as
    > it always did). This strange screen is a nuisance, and I seek help in
    > getting rid of it and going directly to the choose-profile screen.
    >
    > This is a stand-alone pc at home.
    > Windows 2000 pro.
    > TB version 1.0.6
    > No extensions and default everything else.
    >
    > As you can tell from my shaky vocabulary, I am not used to tweaking
    > computers. I used Windows Explorer to try to identify where the problem
    > might be, but either I could not see it or I could not understand what I
    > was seeing. I hope this is enough information for someone to help me
    > get rid of this unwanted screen.
    >
    > Paul in San Francisco
    > * p.s. It turned out that TB was working fine; my ISP had crashed.

    Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    time I try to open Thunderbird?

  3. Re: Run as Other User

    Paul MR wrote:

    > Paul MR wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I changed
    >>something somewhere so that now this is the problem:
    >>I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen entitled
    >>"Run as Other User" pops up first. There I either have to enter a
    >>password as administrator of change to my name and then ok it before I
    >>get to the profile screen asking me to choose which profile to use (as
    >>it always did). This strange screen is a nuisance, and I seek help in
    >>getting rid of it and going directly to the choose-profile screen.
    >>
    >>This is a stand-alone pc at home.
    >>Windows 2000 pro.
    >>TB version 1.0.6
    >>No extensions and default everything else.
    >>
    >>As you can tell from my shaky vocabulary, I am not used to tweaking
    >>computers. I used Windows Explorer to try to identify where the problem
    >>might be, but either I could not see it or I could not understand what I
    >>was seeing. I hope this is enough information for someone to help me
    >>get rid of this unwanted screen.
    >>
    >>Paul in San Francisco
    >>* p.s. It turned out that TB was working fine; my ISP had crashed.

    > Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    > for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    > time I try to open Thunderbird?

    maybe some of us don't know what "run as other user" is? This is the
    first I've heard of that.

    --
    Time for a change

  4. Re: Run as Other User

    Paul MR wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote:

    /snip/

    > Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    > for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    > time I try to open Thunderbird?

    I don't mean to ignore you, but I've never seen this screen come up, so
    I really don't know what you might have done to cause it.

    Are you using a logon ID with full admin rights?

    If you create a new profile, can you start normally in the new profile?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  5. Re: Run as Other User

    Paul MR wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote:
    >> Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I
    >> changed something somewhere so that now this is the problem:
    >> I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen
    >> entitled "Run as Other User" pops up first. There I either have to
    >> enter a password as administrator of change to my name and then ok it
    >> before I get to the profile screen asking me to choose which profile
    >> to use (as it always did). This strange screen is a nuisance, and I
    >> seek help in getting rid of it and going directly to the
    >> choose-profile screen.
    >>
    >> This is a stand-alone pc at home.
    >> Windows 2000 pro.
    >> TB version 1.0.6
    >> No extensions and default everything else.
    >>
    >> As you can tell from my shaky vocabulary, I am not used to tweaking
    >> computers. I used Windows Explorer to try to identify where the
    >> problem might be, but either I could not see it or I could not
    >> understand what I was seeing. I hope this is enough information for
    >> someone to help me get rid of this unwanted screen.
    >>
    >> Paul in San Francisco
    >> * p.s. It turned out that TB was working fine; my ISP had crashed.

    > Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    > for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    > time I try to open Thunderbird?

    Seems to me that this is an OS message. Since I have no experience with
    win 2000, i really can't help you. Did you make some change
    (inadvertently?) to user settings in OS?

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  6. Re: Run as Other User

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote:
    >
    >> Paul MR wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yesterday, while trying to figure out why TB was not working*, I
    >>> changed something somewhere so that now this is the problem:
    >>> I click on a desktop shortcut to start TB and a strange screen
    >>> entitled "Run as Other User" pops up first. There I either have to
    >>> enter a password as administrator of change to my name and then ok it
    >>> before I get to the profile screen asking me to choose which profile
    >>> to use (as it always did). This strange screen is a nuisance, and I
    >>> seek help in getting rid of it and going directly to the
    >>> choose-profile screen.
    >>>
    >>> This is a stand-alone pc at home.
    >>> Windows 2000 pro.
    >>> TB version 1.0.6
    >>> No extensions and default everything else.
    >>>
    >>> As you can tell from my shaky vocabulary, I am not used to tweaking
    >>> computers. I used Windows Explorer to try to identify where the
    >>> problem might be, but either I could not see it or I could not
    >>> understand what I was seeing. I hope this is enough information for
    >>> someone to help me get rid of this unwanted screen.
    >>>
    >>> Paul in San Francisco
    >>> * p.s. It turned out that TB was working fine; my ISP had crashed.

    >> Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    >> for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    >> time I try to open Thunderbird?
    >>

    > Seems to me that this is an OS message. Since I have no experience with
    > win 2000, i really can't help you. Did you make some change
    > (inadvertently?) to user settings in OS?
    >
    > Irwin

    Thank you Lee and gwtc and Irwin.

    Creating a new Thunderbird profile made no difference. The problem
    persists.

    I don't know enough to answer "Are you using a logon ID with full admin
    rights?" I guess I am. I push the power switch and the desktop comes
    up ready to go. I don't have to enter any passwords or anything.

    It is possible that I inadvertently changed something in Windows 2000; I
    don't know what. But, curiously, the "run as other user" screen appears
    ONLY when I try to open TB: never for Firefox or IE or various word
    processors or TaxCut or any other program. If it is a Windows issue,
    can anyone suggest an appropriate group where I can inquire?

    Paul in San Francisco

  7. Re: Run as Other User

    Paul MR wrote:

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >>Paul MR wrote:

    >>>Maybe my original post was too wordy. Can't any one suggest a method
    >>>for me to prevent the "run as other user" screen from popping up each
    >>>time I try to open Thunderbird?
    >>>

    >>Seems to me that this is an OS message. Since I have no experience with
    >>win 2000, i really can't help you. Did you make some change
    >>(inadvertently?) to user settings in OS?
    >>
    >>Irwin
    >>

    > Thank you Lee and gwtc and Irwin.
    >
    > Creating a new Thunderbird profile made no difference. The problem
    > persists.
    >
    > I don't know enough to answer "Are you using a logon ID with full admin
    > rights?" I guess I am. I push the power switch and the desktop comes
    > up ready to go. I don't have to enter any passwords or anything.
    >
    > It is possible that I inadvertently changed something in Windows 2000; I
    > don't know what. But, curiously, the "run as other user" screen appears
    > ONLY when I try to open TB: never for Firefox or IE or various word
    > processors or TaxCut or any other program. If it is a Windows issue,
    > can anyone suggest an appropriate group where I can inquire?
    >
    > Paul in San Francisco

    I would help you, but like I said I have never heard of "run as other
    user." I don't know if it is a windows or TB problem. In the mean
    time, I'll keep my eyes out for anything I may come across and let you
    know.

    --
    Time for a change

  8. Re: Run as Other User

    gwtc wrote:
    > Paul MR wrote:
    >
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> Seems to me that this is an OS message. Since I have no experience with
    >>> win 2000, i really can't help you. Did you make some change
    >>> (inadvertently?) to user settings in OS?
    >>>
    >>> Irwin
    >>>

    >> Thank you Lee and gwtc and Irwin.
    >>
    >> Creating a new Thunderbird profile made no difference. The problem
    >> persists.
    >>
    >> I don't know enough to answer "Are you using a logon ID with full admin
    >> rights?" I guess I am. I push the power switch and the desktop comes
    >> up ready to go. I don't have to enter any passwords or anything.
    >>
    >> It is possible that I inadvertently changed something in Windows 2000; I
    >> don't know what. But, curiously, the "run as other user" screen appears
    >> ONLY when I try to open TB: never for Firefox or IE or various word
    >> processors or TaxCut or any other program. If it is a Windows issue,
    >> can anyone suggest an appropriate group where I can inquire?
    >>
    >> Paul in San Francisco

    > I would help you, but like I said I have never heard of "run as other
    > user." I don't know if it is a windows or TB problem. In the mean
    > time, I'll keep my eyes out for anything I may come across and let you
    > know.

    Have you simply examined the properties for the shortcut you are
    using to start TBird ?

    The "Target" should be something like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

    I suspect your target has been modified so that the above is
    being used as a parameter for the RunAs applet from the WinNT or
    W2K Resource Kit.

  9. Re: Run as Other User

    Alphabet wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Paul MR wrote:

    >>> Thank you Lee and gwtc and Irwin.
    >>>
    >>> Creating a new Thunderbird profile made no difference. The problem
    >>> persists.
    >>>
    >>> I don't know enough to answer "Are you using a logon ID with full
    >>> admin rights?" I guess I am. I push the power switch and the
    >>> desktop comes up ready to go. I don't have to enter any passwords or
    >>> anything.
    >>>
    >>> It is possible that I inadvertently changed something in Windows
    >>> 2000; I don't know what. But, curiously, the "run as other user"
    >>> screen appears ONLY when I try to open TB: never for Firefox or IE or
    >>> various word processors or TaxCut or any other program. If it is a
    >>> Windows issue, can anyone suggest an appropriate group where I can
    >>> inquire?
    >>>
    >>> Paul in San Francisco

    >> I would help you, but like I said I have never heard of "run as other
    >> user." I don't know if it is a windows or TB problem. In the mean
    >> time, I'll keep my eyes out for anything I may come across and let you
    >> know.
    >>

    > Have you simply examined the properties for the shortcut you are using
    > to start TBird ?
    >
    > The "Target" should be something like this:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
    >
    > I suspect your target has been modified so that the above is being used
    > as a parameter for the RunAs applet from the WinNT or W2K Resource Kit.

    Problem SOLVED. Thank you, alphabet, Thank you. Profile > properties
    disclosed a box called "run as different user" which I guess I had
    inadvertently checked. Unchecking it solved the problem. Thank you
    all. You are all invaluable.
    Paul in San Francisco

+ Reply to Thread