Sorting folders by spamassassin score - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sorting folders by spamassassin score - Mozilla ; Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

  2. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    > folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    > examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    Tools>>Junk Mail Controls

    On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    and choose Spam Assassin.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    > Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >
    > On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    > and choose Spam Assassin.

    That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust spamassassin's
    decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a mailbox by the
    spamassassin score.

    Try to at least comprehend the question before firing off an e-mail.

  4. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >>> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >>> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    >> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >> and choose Spam Assassin.

    > That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust spamassassin's
    > decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a mailbox by the
    > spamassassin score.

    *sigh* "able to sort the *view* of a mailbox by the spamassassin score".

  5. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >>> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >>> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    >> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >> and choose Spam Assassin.

    > That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust spamassassin's
    > decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a mailbox by the
    > spamassassin score.
    >
    > Try to at least comprehend the question before firing off an e-mail.

    I have thought of many ways to respond to you.

    I'll simply not.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  6. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    > Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >
    > On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    > and choose Spam Assassin.

    So it's already an installed option? I've never downloaded it myself. Is it
    any better than spampal, which I haven't downloaded either? If neither of
    those is used, what is?

    I'm not dissatisfied with the current situation, but would I be happier with
    one of those two?

    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

  7. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>
    >>>Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >>>folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >>>examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    >>Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >>On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >>and choose Spam Assassin.

    > So it's already an installed option? I've never downloaded it myself. Is it
    > any better than spampal, which I haven't downloaded either? If neither of
    > those is used, what is?
    >
    > I'm not dissatisfied with the current situation, but would I be happier with
    > one of those two?

    Someone can correct me on this, but SpamAssassin comes from the ISP.
    Open up a message and look at the Message Source, and you see things
    there for SA, such as something similar to the following:

    * 2.9 DATE_IN_FUTURE_12_24 Date: is 12 to 24 hours after Received: date
    * 5.0 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
    * [score: 0.9901]

    --
    Time for a change

  8. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    The Real Bev wrote

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >>> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >>> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    >> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >> and choose Spam Assassin.

    > So it's already an installed option? I've never downloaded it myself. Is it
    > any better than spampal, which I haven't downloaded either? If neither of
    > those is used, what is?
    >
    > I'm not dissatisfied with the current situation, but would I be happier with
    > one of those two?

    Yes, at least you'd probably like the combination of Spampal and the JMC
    together. Spampal (especially with one or two of it's plug-ins) catches a
    lot of mail here that the JMC misses. I've been training the latter for many
    months, and it still misses a high percentage of spam. The other problem
    with the JMC is that when any new type of spam appears it takes time for
    training to work, whereas since Spampal uses DNSBL lists of known and likely
    spammers it tends to get them much sooner as the sources may already be
    known. I actually use an heuristic plug-in for Spampal which picks up some
    spam better than the heuristic JMC. I use a BadWords plugin that will let
    you specify words to ban - during a recent spam epidemic (300 a day, nearly
    all the same message with different headers and all getting through the JMC)
    adding one word from the messages caught the lot. Why use the JMC at all?
    Well, strangely enough, it catches some mail that Spampal misses. I haven't
    managed to work out why - that would be very useful - but I'm not technical
    enough, nor do I have time. The combination doesn't miss much at all. If you
    try it, use the 1.73c beta - it's stable, and *much* easier to set up than
    the older release version as it uses a "transparent proxy" approach.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  9. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn schrieb:
    > Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    > folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    > examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    configure Spamassassin to rewrite the subject line for spam mail (above threshold). Then sort as usual.

    Rudy

    rewrite_header subject
    Text added to the subject line of mails that are considered spam.
    _HITS_ in the tag will be replace with the calculated score for this message.
    _REQD_ will be replaced with the threshold.

  10. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>>
    >>> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set
    >>> by: and choose Spam Assassin.

    >> That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust
    >> spamassassin's decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a
    >> mailbox by the spamassassin score.
    >>
    >> Try to at least comprehend the question before firing off an e-mail.

    > I have thought of many ways to respond to you.
    >
    > I'll simply not.

    Well, given that you clearly don't have the answer to my question that
    is probably a good thing.

  11. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    On 2/7/2006 12:33 AM Eastern Standard Time, Leonidas Jones e'mailed me
    with...:
    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>>
    >>> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set
    >>> by: and choose Spam Assassin.

    >> That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust
    >> spamassassin's decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a
    >> mailbox by the spamassassin score.
    >>
    >> Try to at least comprehend the question before firing off an e-mail.

    > I have thought of many ways to respond to you.
    >
    > I'll simply not.
    >
    > Lee

    yeah isn't wonderous how some folks seem to shoot themselves in the foot
    instead of the head?

  12. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Ruediger Zwarg wrote:
    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn schrieb:
    >> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    > configure Spamassassin to rewrite the subject line for spam mail (above
    > threshold). Then sort as usual.
    >
    > Rudy
    >
    > rewrite_header subject
    > Text added to the subject line of mails that are considered spam.
    > _HITS_ in the tag will be replace with the calculated score for this
    > message.
    > _REQD_ will be replaced with the threshold.

    This works as a temporary measure, but I would prefer a more general
    solution. Is sorting on an arbitrary mail header going to require
    modifying the source, or is this something I could resolve by mucking
    with some XUL?

  13. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    > yeah isn't wonderous how some folks seem to shoot themselves in the foot
    > instead of the head?

    Isn't it wondrous how some people don't understand the difference
    between "sorting" and "flagging". Or that they answer questions like
    the are some poorly written expert system?

  14. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know of a way to configure Thunderbird to sort my junk
    >>> folder by the score spamassassin gave it? It would be very useful to
    >>> examine potential spam in order of increasing score. Thanks!

    >> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >> and choose Spam Assassin.

    > So it's already an installed option? I've never downloaded it myself. Is it
    > any better than spampal, which I haven't downloaded either? If neither of
    > those is used, what is?
    >
    > I'm not dissatisfied with the current situation, but would I be happier with
    > one of those two?

    Setting up spamassassin might make your brain itch but it's worth it. I
    use the razor, pyzor and dcc modules with it. Belt, suspenders, loin
    cloth, codpiece.

    --
    *Rinaldi*
    Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

  15. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

    >> yeah isn't wonderous how some folks seem to shoot themselves in the
    >> foot instead of the head?

    > Isn't it wondrous how some people don't understand the difference
    > between "sorting" and "flagging". Or that they answer questions like
    > the are some poorly written expert system?

    Its also a wonder how some people click reply all and send needless
    emails, cluttering up mailboxes for no good reason.

    Lee

  16. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    >>
    >>> yeah isn't wonderous how some folks seem to shoot themselves in the
    >>> foot instead of the head?

    >> Isn't it wondrous how some people don't understand the difference
    >> between "sorting" and "flagging". Or that they answer questions like
    >> the are some poorly written expert system?

    > Its also a wonder how some people click reply all and send needless
    > emails, cluttering up mailboxes for no good reason.
    >
    > Lee

    And, by the way, I am sorry, I did misread your post, and I do apologize
    for that.

    But is it unreasonable to expect a little common courtesy for an attempt
    to help?

    If not, have a great internet experience.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

  17. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

    >>>That wasn't my question. That tells Thunderbird to trust
    >>>spamassassin's decision, what I want is to be able to the *view* of a
    >>>mailbox by the spamassassin score.
    >>>
    >>>Try to at least comprehend the question before firing off an e-mail.

    >>I have thought of many ways to respond to you.
    >>
    >>I'll simply not.

    > Well, given that you clearly don't have the answer to my question that
    > is probably a good thing.

    well, if you're going to instult people then you're not going to get
    answers.

    --
    Time for a change

  18. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:
    > Isn't it wondrous how some people don't understand the difference
    > between "sorting" and "flagging". Or that they answer questions like
    > the are some poorly written expert system?

    ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

    Clues - kettle, pot, black.

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  19. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Tools>>Junk Mail Controls
    >>>
    >>> On the Settings tab, check the box for Trust junk mail headers set by:
    >>> and choose Spam Assassin.

    >> So it's already an installed option? I've never downloaded it myself. Is it
    >> any better than spampal, which I haven't downloaded either? If neither of
    >> those is used, what is?
    >>
    >> I'm not dissatisfied with the current situation, but would I be happier with
    >> one of those two?

    > Setting up spamassassin might make your brain itch but it's worth it.

    Hey, easy to say when it's not YOUR brain that you can't get at by sticking a
    coat hanger into your ear :-(

    > I use the razor, pyzor and dcc modules with it. Belt, suspenders, loin
    > cloth, codpiece.

    You forgot the brass bustier. They're not just for women any more.

    It's clearly not provided by myrealbox.com (if you want filters you can set
    them up, but they ain't easy and they ain't necessarily all that effective.
    At one point I set something to forward mail from my kids to my real address
    (just in case they respond to a message sent with the myrealbox address). I
    disabled of all the filters at myrealbox even though I couldn't find one that
    forwarded certain mail to my real address, but still got weird stuff forwarded
    from there. Drives me nuts.

    His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.

  20. Re: Sorting folders by spamassassin score

    > And, by the way, I am sorry, I did misread your post, and I do apologize
    > for that.

    That's very generous. I shall apologize for being too quick tempered,
    and less than diplomatic in my tone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast