FF &TB update destroyed profiles - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF &TB update destroyed profiles - Mozilla ; Hey all, (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning ...

  1. FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Hey all,
    (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my new
    computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and both
    were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When it's
    finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it can't start
    TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by FF). This NEVER
    happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an update process too.
    When it's finished I restart and it says (this is TB remember) that the
    FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course TB doesn't use that
    extension). Very suspicious.

    So, I'm starting and stopping both apps to see what's up. I go to
    explorer to look at the profile directories and see that every thing's
    still there, but when I click on FF's profile directory, windows says it
    no longer exists! THEN I go to my TB email directory and every thing's
    gone except for 0 or 1-2k files. Wiped clean. TB AND FF!! I ran
    FreeUndelete (a very good app, by the way) and managed to recover the
    chrome directory (big woop) and one bookmark backup. TB and/or FF
    managed to destroy both profiles in the update confusion process.

    POOR, POOR programming I must say. I've got a two week old backup from
    the other computer, but the Mozilla corp has f*cked me out of 2 weeks of
    emails. What is it about TB and FF's propensity to destroy your data?

    I'm just letting off steam here and I know everyone's going to rush in
    here and say that THEY never had a problems and why aren't I backing up
    my data every 30 minutes... I've been using PCs since the beginning and
    have NEVER had data loss due to a program's incompetence: EXCEPT for TB
    and FF. Good job fellas, but hey, it's free.

    Well, off to get some kind of daily backup back in place because these
    programs can't be trusted to keep your data safe.

    -bradly

  2. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Bradley wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    > new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    > both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    > started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When it's
    > finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it can't start
    > TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by FF). This NEVER
    > happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an update process too. When
    > it's finished I restart and it says (this is TB remember) that the
    > FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course TB doesn't use that
    > extension). Very suspicious.

    FYI, FF and TB use totally separate profiles - and profile folders.
    Since FF is a browser-only, it has no need to use the TB profile, and
    vice-versa.

    What version of TB were/are you using? There have been no updates to TB
    since 1.5 was released.

  3. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Bradley wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my new
    > computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and both
    > were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    > started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When
    > it's finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it
    > can't start TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by
    > FF). This NEVER happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an
    > update process too. When it's finished I restart and it says (this is
    > TB remember) that the FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course
    > TB doesn't use that extension). Very suspicious.
    >
    > So, I'm starting and stopping both apps to see what's up. I go to
    > explorer to look at the profile directories and see that every thing's
    > still there, but when I click on FF's profile directory, windows says
    > it no longer exists! THEN I go to my TB email directory and every
    > thing's gone except for 0 or 1-2k files. Wiped clean. TB AND FF!!
    > I ran FreeUndelete (a very good app, by the way) and managed to
    > recover the chrome directory (big woop) and one bookmark backup. TB
    > and/or FF managed to destroy both profiles in the update confusion
    > process.
    >
    > POOR, POOR programming I must say. I've got a two week old backup
    > from the other computer, but the Mozilla corp has f*cked me out of 2
    > weeks of emails. What is it about TB and FF's propensity to destroy
    > your data?
    >
    > I'm just letting off steam here and I know everyone's going to rush in
    > here and say that THEY never had a problems and why aren't I backing
    > up my data every 30 minutes... I've been using PCs since the
    > beginning and have NEVER had data loss due to a program's
    > incompetence: EXCEPT for TB and FF. Good job fellas, but hey, it's
    > free.
    >
    > Well, off to get some kind of daily backup back in place because these
    > programs can't be trusted to keep your data safe.
    >
    > -bradly

    IMO, the cause of your problem may be peculiar, arcane, with blame
    ascribable to multiple sources or none at all, and in the end unknowable
    with analytic or even intuitive certainty. Given the forgoing as a constant
    of computing that's not about to change anytime soon, if your computer is
    robust enough to handle it, with GoBack installed you will never lose any
    mail, bookmarks, chrome, or entire applications due to bad updates, operator
    error, or anything else. At least not for long. But good luck in dealing
    with your present problem.

    As an example, last night I installed minimize-to-tray for the umpteenth
    time, but found out once again that the developers still haven't been able,
    or concerned enough, to deal with the multiple icons in the tray problem
    that normal use of T-Bird generates. But in trying to uninstall this
    extension, it would not leave the dialog box - even after "uninstall" had
    been greyed-out, and continued to generate a tray icon after T-Bird was
    re-opened. My fault? Their fault? Don't care, doesn't matter, not a user
    issue, because thanks to a GoBack revert it's just plain gone now.

  4. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Roger Fink wrote:
> [...]

    > GoBack installed you will never lose any mail, bookmarks, chrome, or
    > entire applications due to bad updates, operator error, or anything
    > else. At least not for long. But good luck in dealing with your
    > present problem.
    >
    > As an example, last night I installed minimize-to-tray for the
    > umpteenth time, but found out once again that the developers still
    > haven't been able, or concerned enough, to deal with the multiple
    > icons in the tray problem that normal use of T-Bird generates. But in
    > trying to uninstall this extension, it would not leave the dialog box
    > - even after "uninstall" had been greyed-out, and continued to
    > generate a tray icon after T-Bird was re-opened. My fault? Their
    > fault? Don't care, doesn't matter, not a user issue, because thanks
    > to a GoBack revert it's just plain gone now.

    "..due to bad updates, operator error, or anything
    Except for things like hardware failure and security breaches. Pardon me.

  5. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    _Bradley_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 7:14 AM:
    > (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    > new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    > both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    > started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When it's
    > finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it can't start
    > TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by FF). This NEVER
    > happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an update process too. When
    > it's finished I restart and it says (this is TB remember) that the
    > FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course TB doesn't use that
    > extension). Very suspicious.
    >
    > So, I'm starting and stopping both apps to see what's up. I go to
    > explorer to look at the profile directories and see that every thing's
    > still there, but when I click on FF's profile directory, windows says it
    > no longer exists! THEN I go to my TB email directory and every thing's
    > gone except for 0 or 1-2k files. Wiped clean. TB AND FF!! I ran
    > FreeUndelete (a very good app, by the way) and managed to recover the
    > chrome directory (big woop) and one bookmark backup. TB and/or FF
    > managed to destroy both profiles in the update confusion process.
    >
    > POOR, POOR programming I must say. I've got a two week old backup from
    > the other computer, but the Mozilla corp has f*cked me out of 2 weeks of
    > emails. What is it about TB and FF's propensity to destroy your data?
    >
    > I'm just letting off steam here and I know everyone's going to rush in
    > here and say that THEY never had a problems and why aren't I backing up
    > my data every 30 minutes... I've been using PCs since the beginning and
    > have NEVER had data loss due to a program's incompetence: EXCEPT for TB
    > and FF. Good job fellas, but hey, it's free.
    >
    > Well, off to get some kind of daily backup back in place because these
    > programs can't be trusted to keep your data safe.

    I've never ever heard of a Firefox update affecting Thunderbird. Is
    there anything unusual about your set up? Profiles not in the default
    directory? Programs installed in a custom folder (not default)? Did you
    set them up to share anything?
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  6. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Ken Wagner wrote:
    > Bradley wrote:
    >> Hey all,
    >> (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    >> new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    >> both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    >> started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When
    >> it's finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it
    >> can't start TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by
    >> FF). This NEVER happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an
    >> update process too. When it's finished I restart and it says (this is
    >> TB remember) that the FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course
    >> TB doesn't use that extension). Very suspicious.

    > FYI, FF and TB use totally separate profiles - and profile folders.
    > Since FF is a browser-only, it has no need to use the TB profile, and
    > vice-versa.
    >
    > What version of TB were/are you using? There have been no updates to TB
    > since 1.5 was released.

    That's my point. When I started TB it attempted to go through an update
    process. TB and FF were using the same profile directory only. I was
    surprised too when TB tried to do the update thing. Don't ask me how,
    but they both got seriously confused during the update process and hosed
    both profiles. I've since moved them to two separate directories and
    have a daily backup going for both.

    -b

  7. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Bradley wrote:
    > Ken Wagner wrote:
    >> Bradley wrote:
    >>> Hey all,
    >>> (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    >>> new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    >>> both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when
    >>> I started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When
    >>> it's finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it
    >>> can't start TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by
    >>> FF). This NEVER happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an
    >>> update process too. When it's finished I restart and it says (this is
    >>> TB remember) that the FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course
    >>> TB doesn't use that extension). Very suspicious.

    >> FYI, FF and TB use totally separate profiles - and profile folders.
    >> Since FF is a browser-only, it has no need to use the TB profile, and
    >> vice-versa.
    >>
    >> What version of TB were/are you using? There have been no updates to
    >> TB since 1.5 was released.

    > That's my point. When I started TB it attempted to go through an update
    > process. TB and FF were using the same profile directory only.

    The two programs *don't* use the same profile directory. Since your
    headers indicate that you're using Windows, unless you changed the
    default directories, your profiles will be the following:
    For Firefox: \Documents and Settings\username\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile_name
    For Thunderbird: \Documents and Settings\username\Application
    Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\profile_name

    Again, what version of Thunderbird were you using when it attempted to
    update? Are you certain that the update was for Thunderbird, and not an
    extension or a theme?

  8. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    _Bradley_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 5:13 PM:
    > TB and FF were using the same profile directory only.

    They don't use the same profile directory by default. Setting them to
    use the same directory will cause problems; and I'm surprised it took
    this long for a problem to arise. Do not make them use the same profile
    folder. If anyone advised you to do that, I'd love to know whom.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
    Mozilla links

  9. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Bradley wrote:
    > Hey all,
    > (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    > new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    > both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    > started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When it's
    > finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it can't start
    > TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by FF). This NEVER
    > happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an update process too. When
    > it's finished I restart and it says (this is TB remember) that the
    > FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course TB doesn't use that
    > extension). Very suspicious.
    >
    > So, I'm starting and stopping both apps to see what's up. I go to
    > explorer to look at the profile directories and see that every thing's
    > still there, but when I click on FF's profile directory, windows says it
    > no longer exists! THEN I go to my TB email directory and every thing's
    > gone except for 0 or 1-2k files. Wiped clean. TB AND FF!! I ran
    > FreeUndelete (a very good app, by the way) and managed to recover the
    > chrome directory (big woop) and one bookmark backup. TB and/or FF
    > managed to destroy both profiles in the update confusion process.
    >
    > POOR, POOR programming I must say. I've got a two week old backup from
    > the other computer, but the Mozilla corp has f*cked me out of 2 weeks of
    > emails. What is it about TB and FF's propensity to destroy your data?
    >
    > I'm just letting off steam here and I know everyone's going to rush in
    > here and say that THEY never had a problems and why aren't I backing up
    > my data every 30 minutes... I've been using PCs since the beginning and
    > have NEVER had data loss due to a program's incompetence: EXCEPT for TB
    > and FF. Good job fellas, but hey, it's free.
    >
    > Well, off to get some kind of daily backup back in place because these
    > programs can't be trusted to keep your data safe.
    >
    > -bradly

    Hi Bradly,
    I feel your pain, and while I've experienced my share of glitches in FF
    and TB over the years, nothing this severe has happened to me. Do you
    use MozBackUp? It's a stand-alone app that has saved me many times and
    I don't use FF and TB without it now. It backs up your profile and
    gives you the option of selecting what data to save (emails, settings,
    even themes and extensions, although it's still a little wonky on
    restoring extensions). Anyway, check it out...it's available here:
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com.
    Good luck.
    - Josh

  10. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    then use your zip program

    --
    Time for a change

  11. Re: FF &TB update destroyed profiles

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Bradley_ spoke thusly on 04/02/2006 7:14 AM:
    >> (trying to remain calm). I just recently set up FF and TB on my
    >> new computer (about a week ago). I've been using both for years and
    >> both were working perfect for the last two weeks. This morning when I
    >> started FF I get the automatic update thing, so I let it go. When
    >> it's finished I restarted FF. Then I started TB. NOW it says it
    >> can't start TB because the profile's already in use (presumably by
    >> FF). This NEVER happened before. I stop FF. THEN, TB starts an
    >> update process too. When it's finished I restart and it says (this is
    >> TB remember) that the FlashBlock extention no longer works (of course
    >> TB doesn't use that extension). Very suspicious.
    >>
    >> So, I'm starting and stopping both apps to see what's up. I go to
    >> explorer to look at the profile directories and see that every thing's
    >> still there, but when I click on FF's profile directory, windows says
    >> it no longer exists! THEN I go to my TB email directory and every
    >> thing's gone except for 0 or 1-2k files. Wiped clean. TB AND FF!! I
    >> ran FreeUndelete (a very good app, by the way) and managed to recover
    >> the chrome directory (big woop) and one bookmark backup. TB and/or FF
    >> managed to destroy both profiles in the update confusion process.
    >>
    >> POOR, POOR programming I must say. I've got a two week old backup
    >> from the other computer, but the Mozilla corp has f*cked me out of 2
    >> weeks of emails. What is it about TB and FF's propensity to destroy
    >> your data?
    >>
    >> I'm just letting off steam here and I know everyone's going to rush in
    >> here and say that THEY never had a problems and why aren't I backing
    >> up my data every 30 minutes... I've been using PCs since the
    >> beginning and have NEVER had data loss due to a program's
    >> incompetence: EXCEPT for TB and FF. Good job fellas, but hey, it's
    >> free.
    >>
    >> Well, off to get some kind of daily backup back in place because these
    >> programs can't be trusted to keep your data safe.

    > I've never ever heard of a Firefox update affecting Thunderbird. Is
    > there anything unusual about your set up? Profiles not in the default
    > directory? Programs installed in a custom folder (not default)? Did you
    > set them up to share anything?

    I'm sure it was just one of those freak things that would never happen
    again in a million years. TB and FF shared the same directory (but not
    anymore), but that's all. Anyway, on to new challenges...

    -b

+ Reply to Thread