In the "would be nice" department: - Mozilla

This is a discussion on In the "would be nice" department: - Mozilla ; I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would come to the foreground. 8-)...

  1. In the "would be nice" department:

    I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would come
    to the foreground. 8-)

  2. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard

    > I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would come
    > to the foreground. 8-)

    It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.

    --
    Terry

  3. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard

    > I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would come
    > to the foreground. 8-)

    I guess I should add that I use Tab Mix Plus and that might be causing
    FF to come to the foreground. Never know with extensions...

    --
    Terry

  4. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would come
    > to the foreground. 8-)

    Is FF set as your default browser?

    --
    Time for a change

  5. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell said the following on 2/2/2006 6:33 PM:
    > I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    > come to the foreground. 8-)

    If this is implemented, it should be implemented as a selectable feature
    though. I actually prefer to select several links from an email without
    FF stealing focus every time

  6. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Joe wrote:

    > Don Nickell said the following on 2/2/2006 6:33 PM:
    >> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >> come to the foreground. 8-)

    > If this is implemented, it should be implemented as a selectable feature
    > though. I actually prefer to select several links from an email without
    > FF stealing focus every time

    Like slashdot mail... I like it just the way it is.

    Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens
    to suck you out of your car.

  7. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    >
    >> Don Nickell said the following on 2/2/2006 6:33 PM:
    >>> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >>> come to the foreground. 8-)

    >> If this is implemented, it should be implemented as a selectable feature
    >> though. I actually prefer to select several links from an email without
    >> FF stealing focus every time

    > Like slashdot mail... I like it just the way it is.

    Could you use something like this?

    /usr/bin/firefox -remote "openURL(%s,new-tab)" || /usr/bin/firefox "%s"

    --
    *Rinaldi*
    It is the business of little minds to shrink.

  8. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    > come to the foreground. 8-)

    Yes, me too, which it DOES. Check your OS settings for 'on top'.

  9. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Terry wrote:
    > On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >> come to the foreground. 8-)

    > It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    > "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.

    But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too, but
    why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and not want
    to view the results of that click? ;-)

  10. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    gwtc wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >> come to the foreground. 8-)

    > Is FF set as your default browser?

    Of course.

  11. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >> come to the foreground. 8-)

    > Yes, me too, which it DOES. Check your OS settings for 'on top'.

    HuH? "Not found."

  12. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Terry wrote:
    >> On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >>> come to the foreground. 8-)

    >> It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    >> "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.
    >>

    > But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too,
    > but why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and
    > not want to view the results of that click? ;-)

    The Tab Mix Plus extension has settings to do what you want
    http://tmp.garyr.net/

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  13. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > Terry wrote:
    >> On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> I feel it would be nice if, when you clicked on a URL link, FF would
    >>> come to the foreground. 8-)

    >> It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    >> "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.
    >>

    > But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too, but
    > why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and not want
    > to view the results of that click? ;-)

    If you're clicking a number of links from the same message/page with the
    intent of reading them after you've made all your choices?

    _|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_|-_
    When you stop bitching, you start dying.

  14. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    >>> "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.
    >>>

    >> But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too,
    >> but why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and
    >> not want to view the results of that click? ;-)

    > The Tab Mix Plus extension has settings to do what you want
    > http://tmp.garyr.net/
    >
    > Irwin

    Thanks Irwin, but how does a FF Extension control what happens in TB? I
    have Tab Mix Plus installed and have gone through the Options several
    times and can't find anything that references TB. :-\

  15. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>> On 2/2/2006 4:33 PM On a whim, Don Nickell pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> It does that for me most of the time. What I don't like is when it
    >>> "un-maximizes" the FF window. I don't see any reason for that.
    >>>

    >> But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too,
    >> but why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and
    >> not want to view the results of that click? ;-)

    > If you're clicking a number of links from the same message/page with the
    > intent of reading them after you've made all your choices?

    I'm not. I simply want to click on *one* link and then be taken to FF to
    see what that link is about. To me it doesn't make sense to read several
    paragraphs of a News Letter clicking on a dozen links and then going to
    read them. By that time I've forgotten what the first link was about.

    Doesn't that make sense?

  16. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    >>> But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me
    >>> too, but why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a
    >>> link and not want to view the results of that click? ;-)

    >> The Tab Mix Plus extension has settings to do what you want
    >> http://tmp.garyr.net/
    >>
    >> Irwin
    >>

    > Thanks Irwin, but how does a FF Extension control what happens in TB? I
    > have Tab Mix Plus installed and have gone through the Options several
    > times and can't find anything that references TB. :-\

    Neither program has any effect on the other. However, if they are both
    default then they are invoked when, for example, a link in TB is clicked
    on (or a mail-to in FF is clicked). What happens to that link is
    strictly up to FF. The TBP extension allows you to open it in a new tab
    and focus on that tab.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  17. Re: In the "would be nice" department:

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    >>> But the keyword there is "most of the time." It does that for me too,
    >>> but why not *all* of the time. Why would someone click on a link and
    >>> not want to view the results of that click? ;-)

    >> If you're clicking a number of links from the same message/page with the
    >> intent of reading them after you've made all your choices?
    >>

    > I'm not. I simply want to click on *one* link and then be taken to FF to
    > see what that link is about. To me it doesn't make sense to read several
    > paragraphs of a News Letter clicking on a dozen links and then going to
    > read them. By that time I've forgotten what the first link was about.
    >
    > Doesn't that make sense?

    Sure. Doesn't -- oh crap, the thing that somebody suggested here that let me
    do exactly what you DON'T want done... OK, I think this is it: in FF
    about:config, set 'browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground' to false.

    Yeah, that's it. Now I'm setting it back to 'true'. Carry on!