Preview pane and Viruses - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Preview pane and Viruses - Mozilla ; In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate like it does in Outlook?...

  1. Preview pane and Viruses

    In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate
    like it does in Outlook?

  2. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roy Forgy wrote:
    > In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate
    > like it does in Outlook?

    Short answer ..no! Nothing runs automatically in TB ...if you did
    receive an infected message and it opened in preview pane you would have
    to click on an attachment to get infected ..by comparison an unpatched
    copy of Outlook would auto run the infected file and POOF you are
    infected ...just one of the many reasons you are safer with TB.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  3. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roy Forgy wrote:
    > In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate
    > like it does in Outlook?

    No. Any virus is contained in an attachment, which you must explicitly
    open in TB in order for it to propagate.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  4. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roy Forgy wrote:
    > In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate
    > like it does in Outlook?

    NO. However, I never use a preview pane as they are too small for my
    preferences. Using a full window bypasses even the possibility of such
    a problem, of a message you don't want to see being displayed.

  5. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Brian J. Graham wrote:
    > Roy Forgy wrote:
    >> In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to
    >> propagate like it does in Outlook?
    >>

    > Short answer ..no! Nothing runs automatically in TB ...if you did
    > receive an infected message and it opened in preview pane you would
    > have
    > to click on an attachment to get infected ..by comparison an unpatched
    > copy of Outlook would auto run the infected file and POOF you are
    > infected ...just one of the many reasons you are safer with TB.

    General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if are set up
    to display attachments in-line?

  6. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >> Roy Forgy wrote:
    >>> In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to
    >>> propagate like it does in Outlook?
    >>>

    >> Short answer ..no! Nothing runs automatically in TB ...if you did
    >> receive an infected message and it opened in preview pane you would
    >> have
    >> to click on an attachment to get infected ..by comparison an unpatched
    >> copy of Outlook would auto run the infected file and POOF you are
    >> infected ...just one of the many reasons you are safer with TB.

    > General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if are set up
    > to display attachments in-line?

    If the attachment is executable it can not be displayed in-line.

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  7. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Short answer ..no! Nothing runs automatically in TB ...if you
    >>> did receive an infected message and it opened in preview pane you
    >>> would
    >>> have
    >>> to click on an attachment to get infected ..by comparison an
    >>> unpatched copy of Outlook would auto run the infected file and POOF
    >>> you are
    >>> infected ...just one of the many reasons you are safer with TB.

    >> General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if
    >> are set up to display attachments in-line?
    >>

    > If the attachment is executable it can not be displayed in-line.

    In other words you are referring to *.exe?
    How about malicious code in an image attachment, assuming that is possible,
    displayed inline?

  8. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    On 2/2/2006 4:25 PM Pacific Time, Roy Forgy wrote thusly:
    > In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to propagate
    > like it does in Outlook?

    Roy,
    For additional security, check the Tools Menu, Options, then select
    the Privacy tab. Check the boxes to block java script and remote images.

    Barbara

  9. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if
    >>> are set up to display attachments in-line?
    >>>

    >> If the attachment is executable it can not be displayed in-line.

    > In other words you are referring to *.exe?
    > How about malicious code in an image attachment, assuming that is possible,
    > displayed inline?

    There are a whole list of *.xxx that may be executable (don't remember
    many - *.scr is one - and don't feel like googling). So long as the
    preference javascript.allow.mailnews is false (which is its default
    state) no harm can come to you.

    No need to be paranoid on this subject - just don't open attachments
    that you aren't sure of. And remember that email ostensibly from youe
    friend Joe, may be from a virus that has found Joe's address book; the
    mail can't hurt you, but its attachment could.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  10. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >>> If the attachment is executable it can not be displayed in-line.

    >> In other words you are referring to *.exe?
    >> How about malicious code in an image attachment, assuming that is
    >> possible, displayed inline?
    >>

    > There are a whole list of *.xxx that may be executable (don't remember
    > many - *.scr is one - and don't feel like googling). So long as the
    > preference javascript.allow.mailnews is false (which is its default
    > state) no harm can come to you.
    >
    > No need to be paranoid on this subject - just don't open attachments
    > that you aren't sure of. And remember that email ostensibly from youe
    > friend Joe, may be from a virus that has found Joe's address book; the
    > mail can't hurt you, but its attachment could.
    >
    > Irwin

    Thanks Irwin, and what you describe at the end - I've had it happen.

  11. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    _Barbara_ spoke thusly on 03/02/2006 10:47 PM:
    > For additional security, check the Tools Menu, Options, then select
    > the Privacy tab. Check the boxes to block java script and remote images.

    It's check marked by default.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  12. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Brian J. Graham wrote:
    >> Roy Forgy wrote:
    >>> In Thunderbird will having the Preview pane open allow a virus to
    >>> propagate like it does in Outlook?
    >>>

    >> Short answer ..no! Nothing runs automatically in TB ...if you did
    >> receive an infected message and it opened in preview pane you would
    >> have
    >> to click on an attachment to get infected ..by comparison an unpatched
    >> copy of Outlook would auto run the infected file and POOF you are
    >> infected ...just one of the many reasons you are safer with TB.

    > General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if are set up
    > to display attachments in-line?

    Attachments to display inline are treated as data. They will not execute.

  13. Re: Preview pane and Viruses

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >>> General question for the responders - Does this also hold true if
    >>> are set up to display attachments in-line?
    >>>

    >> If the attachment is executable it can not be displayed in-line.

    > In other words you are referring to *.exe?
    > How about malicious code in an image attachment, assuming that is possible,
    > displayed inline?

    It is data, not program code. It is DISPLAYED, not executed.

+ Reply to Thread