why all the mail entries? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on why all the mail entries? - Mozilla ; In Explorer, I see that in my TB profile there are seven folders. Only one of them, the 6th, contains the full number of items in the Inbox, etc. All of the others contain only 1 or 1 or 0 ...

  1. why all the mail entries?

    In Explorer, I see that in my TB profile there are seven folders. Only
    one of them, the 6th, contains the full number of items in the Inbox,
    etc. All of the others contain only 1 or 1 or 0 kb for the various
    subfolders.

    Do I need to keep all of them, and how, I wonder, did they multiply?

    Thanks

  2. Re: why all the mail entries?

    richard wrote:
    > In Explorer, I see that in my TB profile there are seven folders. Only
    > one of them, the 6th, contains the full number of items in the Inbox,
    > etc. All of the others contain only 1 or 1 or 0 kb for the various
    > subfolders.
    >
    > Do I need to keep all of them, and how, I wonder, did they multiply?
    >
    > Thanks

    To be clearer--in my TB profile for MAIL.

  3. Re: why all the mail entries?

    On 1/24/2006 1:17 PM On a whim, richard pounded out on the keyboard

    > richard wrote:
    >> In Explorer, I see that in my TB profile there are seven folders. Only
    >> one of them, the 6th, contains the full number of items in the Inbox,
    >> etc. All of the others contain only 1 or 1 or 0 kb for the various
    >> subfolders.
    >>
    >> Do I need to keep all of them, and how, I wonder, did they multiply?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > To be clearer--in my TB profile for MAIL.

    Hi Richard,

    That helped. Check Tools, Account Settings, and then all of your mail
    account Server Settings and check the path of the "Local directory". If
    none of them point to the unused folders, it should be safe to remove them.

    --
    Terry

  4. Re: why all the mail entries?

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/24/2006 1:17 PM On a whim, richard pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> In Explorer, I see that in my TB profile there are seven folders.
    >>> Only one of them, the 6th, contains the full number of items in the
    >>> Inbox, etc. All of the others contain only 1 or 1 or 0 kb for the
    >>> various subfolders.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to keep all of them, and how, I wonder, did they multiply?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> To be clearer--in my TB profile for MAIL.

    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > That helped. Check Tools, Account Settings, and then all of your mail
    > account Server Settings and check the path of the "Local directory". If
    > none of them point to the unused folders, it should be safe to remove them.

    My Comcast.net server points to the 6th folder, the one with all my emails.
    The Local Folders, however, points to Local Folders, which trees down to
    empty subfolders for Inbox, etc. and to the seven Comcast mail folders.

    Not sure what to do.

  5. Re: why all the mail entries?

    On 1/24/2006 1:48 PM Pacific, richard wrote:
    > Terry wrote:

    >>> To be clearer--in my TB profile for MAIL.

    >> Hi Richard,
    >>
    >> That helped. Check Tools, Account Settings, and then all of your mail
    >> account Server Settings and check the path of the "Local directory". If
    >> none of them point to the unused folders, it should be safe to remove them.
    >>

    > My Comcast.net server points to the 6th folder, the one with all my emails.
    > The Local Folders, however, points to Local Folders, which trees down to
    > empty subfolders for Inbox, etc. and to the seven Comcast mail folders.
    >
    > Not sure what to do.

    The empty .sbd sub-folders are standard for all mail accounts. Best bet
    is to leave them. I think they will reappear if you delete them.

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  6. Re: why all the mail entries?

    _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 6:51 PM:
    > The empty .sbd sub-folders are standard for all mail accounts. Best bet
    > is to leave them. I think they will reappear if you delete them.

    That was fixed in 1.5.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  7. Re: why all the mail entries?

    On 1/24/2006 3:59 PM Pacific, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Irwin Greenwald_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 6:51 PM:
    >> The empty .sbd sub-folders are standard for all mail accounts. Best bet
    >> is to leave them. I think they will reappear if you delete them.

    > That was fixed in 1.5.

    Thanks for the update Chris!

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -

  8. Re: why all the mail entries?

    Terry wrote:
    > On 1/24/2006 1:48 PM On a whim, richard pounded out on the keyboard
    >> Terry wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 1/24/2006 1:17 PM On a whim, richard pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Hi Richard,
    >>>
    >>> That helped. Check Tools, Account Settings, and then all of your mail
    >>> account Server Settings and check the path of the "Local directory".
    >>> If none of them point to the unused folders, it should be safe to
    >>> remove them.
    >>>

    >> My Comcast.net server points to the 6th folder, the one with all my
    >> emails.
    >> The Local Folders, however, points to Local Folders, which trees down
    >> to empty subfolders for Inbox, etc. and to the seven Comcast mail
    >> folders.
    >>
    >> Not sure what to do.
    >>

    > I would leave Local folders but the others can be removed if there are
    > no references.

    I removed folders one through five with no apparent ill effects. I left
    number six and the one named simply mail.comcast.net.

    Why the Comcast mail folders reside under Local Folders, however,
    remains a mystery to me.

  9. Re: why all the mail entries?

    richard wrote:
    > Terry wrote:

    /snip/

    > I removed folders one through five with no apparent ill effects. I left
    > number six and the one named simply mail.comcast.net.
    >
    > Why the Comcast mail folders reside under Local Folders, however,
    > remains a mystery to me.

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings

    Click the Advanced button. Select the radio button for Inbox for this
    server's account.

    This should place the account's folders in a separate tree.

    The Global Inbox is the default setting when you set up a new account in
    TB. I suppose its to mimic OE's behavior, in my opinion, its a mistake.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/