help configure TB mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on help configure TB mail - Mozilla ; I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed. When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server, but the only option I am given for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. help configure TB mail

    I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.

    When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server, but
    the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or default.
    There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I can see.

    Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting the
    message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back and
    change servers.

    I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.

    richard

  2. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    > currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.
    >
    > When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server, but
    > the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or default.
    > There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I can see.
    >
    > Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting the
    > message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back and
    > change servers.
    >
    > I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.
    >
    > richard

    To add a new SMTP server:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>Outgoing Server

    Click the Add button to create a new server. If you want that as the
    default server, highlight it in the list and click Set Default.

    Did you not that you can edit the ATT server for the iservers? Make in
    imailhost.worldnet.att.net, and enable SSL.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    > currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.
    >
    > When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server,
    > but the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or
    > default. There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I
    > can see.
    >
    > Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting
    > the message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back
    > and change servers.
    >
    > I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.
    >
    > richard

    Default should be fine. That's what I have.

    On the first page of account settings under your named email server, do
    you see at the bottom "outgoing server SMTP?"

    I believe this should have originally be set up when you set up the
    account. You can go through the set-up again and edit those settings....

    burris

  4. Re: help configure TB mail

    burris wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    >> currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.
    >>
    >> When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server, but
    >> the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or default.
    >> There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I can see.
    >>
    >> Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting the
    >> message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back and
    >> change servers.
    >>
    >> I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.
    >>
    >> richard

    > Default should be fine. That's what I have.
    >
    > On the first page of account settings under your named email server, do
    > you see at the bottom "outgoing server SMTP?"
    >
    > I believe this should have originally be set up when you set up the
    > account. You can go through the set-up again and edit those settings....
    >
    > burris

    Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net for
    smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I thought
    I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.

    First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the TB
    screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked on
    Tools and Account Settings.

    Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the info
    at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.

    I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

  5. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    >>> currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.
    >>>
    >>> When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server,
    >>> but the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or
    >>> default. There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I
    >>> can see.
    >>>
    >>> Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting
    >>> the message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back
    >>> and change servers.
    >>>
    >>> I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.
    >>>
    >>> richard

    >> Default should be fine. That's what I have.
    >>
    >> On the first page of account settings under your named email server, do
    >> you see at the bottom "outgoing server SMTP?"
    >>
    >> I believe this should have originally be set up when you set up the
    >> account. You can go through the set-up again and edit those settings....
    >>
    >> burris

    > Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net for
    > smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I thought
    > I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >
    > First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the TB
    > screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked on
    > Tools and Account Settings.
    >
    > Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the info
    > at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >
    > I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    PS

    I checked the account settings again and they all seem to be
    correct--both incoming and outgoing. Again, I set this account as
    default and again it does not show up in the sidebar where AT&T resides,
    and when I try to send mail again AT&T takes over. At least I got
    comcast.net into the stmp location. But no joy.

  6. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    /snip/

    > Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net for
    > smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I thought
    > I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >
    > First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the TB
    > screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked on
    > Tools and Account Settings.
    >
    > Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the info
    > at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >
    > I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: help configure TB mail

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> burris wrote:
    >>> richard wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net
    >> for smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I
    >> thought I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >>
    >> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the
    >> TB screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked
    >> on Tools and Account Settings.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the
    >> info at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    > Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.
    >
    > Lee

    The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.

    When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection to
    AT&T has failed.

    I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

  8. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> burris wrote:

    >>> Default should be fine. That's what I have.
    >>>
    >>> On the first page of account settings under your named email server, do
    >>> you see at the bottom "outgoing server SMTP?"
    >>>
    >>> I believe this should have originally be set up when you set up the
    >>> account. You can go through the set-up again and edit those settings....
    >>>
    >>> burris

    >> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net for
    >> smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I thought
    >> I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >>
    >> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the TB
    >> screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked on
    >> Tools and Account Settings.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the info
    >> at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.

    afaik what you see at the top of the screen here is not the smtp
    server. It is an 'identity' and or a default ID or (server) account.

    The smtp server is the one single (usually) server that you are using
    to send out mail. Usually it is the at the company who are actually
    connecting you into the internet. They happily accept your mail
    because they are sure it is you and they know who you are and probably
    where you live - they should do - they are connecting you at that
    moment to the internet.

    You may still have mail or news accounts with other (isps), but you
    will usually be expected to receive mail only directly from them (POP3
    etc usually).

    Sending mail out with their name in the 'from' and 'reply to'
    information is not the same thing as the smtp server.

    My smtp server is a '...demon....' one, but this name does not appear
    on my screen at the top (anywhere) when I send mail or news. It only
    does this when I *want* that -mail- account to be indicated in the
    from, to, reply, etc places in the header of the mail.

    I actually have about half a dozen mail accounts for various reasons,
    including one with the (connecting) internet provider (demon). The
    demon ID does not have to appear in the from, or reply to, fields
    though.

    However, the demon machines which the outgoing mail passes through
    when I end it out will usually be indicated in the detail of the path
    the mail takes (header).

    It sounds bad to start with, but it gets a lot easier, dont worry!

    The header of this message should show it passed via a demon machine,
    but I am using a waitrose news account.

    There are I think a couple of types of useful defaults in the realm of
    'Accounts' (account settings or properties).
    It took me a while to get to use some of the nicer facilities of this,
    but it is not the same thing as the smtp server.

    hth
    --
    ac

  9. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in
    >>> comcast.net for smtp. That move got the Default indicated as
    >>> comcast.net. So, I thought I was home free. I selected the new
    >>> account as Default.
    >>>
    >>> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of
    >>> the TB screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I
    >>> clicked on Tools and Account Settings.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on
    >>> the info at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >>>

    >>> I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    >> Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    > newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    > Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >
    > When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection
    > to AT&T has failed.
    >
    > I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    > Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    If you originally set up your ATT account via the control panel\internet
    options\connections...go there and set it to never dial a connection.
    Maybe that's where it is finding the previous ATT.

    burris

  10. Re: help configure TB mail

    gwtc wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>

    > [SNIP]
    >
    >> Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    > I doubt it. I'll be you that they'll come back and say "We're sorry,
    > but we don't support TB. We only support OE."
    >
    > If you don't get anywhere with that so-called tech support, ask for
    > someone higher up and keep goind up until you find someone who does know
    > about TB.

    TB works just fine with Comcast....There is no OE requirement.

  11. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:

    [SNIP]

    > Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    I doubt it. I'll be you that they'll come back and say "We're sorry,
    but we don't support TB. We only support OE."

    If you don't get anywhere with that so-called tech support, ask for
    someone higher up and keep goind up until you find someone who does
    know about TB.

    --
    Time for a change

  12. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote in
    newsuadnV3-pLUe-UjenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@mozilla.org:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in
    >>> comcast.net for smtp. That move got the Default indicated as
    >>> comcast.net. So, I thought I was home free. I selected the
    >>> new account as Default.

    This confuses me: SMTPs do not setup as an account. It's a
    server. Not an account.

    >>> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left
    >>> side of the TB screen (where all the folders are). It did
    >>> show up when I clicked on Tools and Account Settings.

    The new mail account? or the server? You're so vague in your
    descriptions, I can't tell what you're looking for.

    >>> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away
    >>> on the info at the top of the screen that mail was still
    >>> using AT&T.
    >>>
    >>> I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    >> Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox
    >> enabled.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to
    > this newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup
    > messages with Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >
    > When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the
    > connection to AT&T has failed.
    >
    > I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and
    > running. Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    Let's go over this step by step:

    You created a new Mail account for Comcast under "tools - account
    settings - create new account", and filled in your name and email
    address and POP3 server as prompted.

    You went into "tools - account settings - outgoing servers" and
    added the comcast SMTP server and set it as default.

    You went into to "tools - account settings", selected the mail
    account (NOT server settings!), and made sure it was set to "use
    the default server".

    Please confirm that THESE were the steps you've taken. INCLUDE
    DETAILS.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Joshu's dog is chasing Scroedinger's cat around the yard again!

  13. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:

    > The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    > newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    > Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >
    > When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection to
    > AT&T has failed.
    >
    > I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    > Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    Comcast has detailed instructions for checking your TB settings at:
    http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18070

    There are detailed instruction for initial TB setup at
    http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18069

    There are extensive directions for configuring your Comcast broadband
    connection at:
    http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...nnection117638

  14. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net
    >>> for smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I
    >>> thought I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >>>
    >>> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the
    >>> TB screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked
    >>> on Tools and Account Settings.

    There's something weird about that -- mail servers don't show up anywhere
    except in the account settings list unless...you do SOMETHING that I've
    forgotten -- maybe check the 'check for new messages every nn minutes' setting...

    >>> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the
    >>> info at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >>>
    >>> I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    >> Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.
    >>

    > The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    > newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    > Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.

    Are you sure you have the names of the servers right. Sometimes it's not
    obvious -- you have to ask the comcast people or check with the configuration
    help at the website (if any). Charter changed the name of its news server
    from news.charter.net to nntp.charter.net without telling the users who don't
    log in to their home page and nothing worked until I made an angry phone call.

    > When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection to
    > AT&T has failed.
    >
    > I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    > Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Registered Linux User 85683)
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really

  15. Re: help configure TB mail

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > richard wrote in
    > newsuadnV3-pLUe-UjenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@mozilla.org:

    >>> /snip/

    > This confuses me: SMTPs do not setup as an account. It's a
    > server. Not an account.

    > The new mail account? or the server? You're so vague in your
    > descriptions, I can't tell what you're looking for.

    >>> Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox
    >>> enabled.
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to
    >> this newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup
    >> messages with Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >>
    >> When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the
    >> connection to AT&T has failed.
    >>
    >> I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and
    >> running. Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    > Let's go over this step by step:
    >
    > You created a new Mail account for Comcast under "tools - account
    > settings - create new account", and filled in your name and email
    > address and POP3 server as prompted.
    >
    > You went into "tools - account settings - outgoing servers" and
    > added the comcast SMTP server and set it as default.
    >
    > You went into to "tools - account settings", selected the mail
    > account (NOT server settings!), and made sure it was set to "use
    > the default server".
    >
    > Please confirm that THESE were the steps you've taken. INCLUDE
    > DETAILS.

    Those were the exact steps I took. When I then attempted to send myself
    an email at the comcast address, the "From" window indicated my at&t
    address, and the email attemted to connect to mailhost at&t.

  16. Re: help configure TB mail

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > richard wrote:

    >>> /snip/

    > There's something weird about that -- mail servers don't show up
    > anywhere except in the account settings list unless...you do SOMETHING
    > that I've forgotten -- maybe check the 'check for new messages every nn
    > minutes' setting...

    >>> Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.
    >>>

    >> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    >> newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    >> Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.

    > Are you sure you have the names of the servers right. Sometimes it's
    > not obvious -- you have to ask the comcast people or check with the
    > configuration help at the website (if any). Charter changed the name of
    > its news server from news.charter.net to nntp.charter.net without
    > telling the users who don't log in to their home page and nothing worked
    > until I made an angry phone call.
    >
    >> When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection
    >> to AT&T has failed.
    >>
    >> I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    >> Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    The inbound server is... mail.comcast.net port 110

    The outbound is... SMTP.comcast.net(default) port 25

  17. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> richard wrote in
    >> newsuadnV3-pLUe-UjenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@mozilla.org:

    >> This confuses me: SMTPs do not setup as an account. It's a server.
    >> Not an account.
    >>>>>

    >> The new mail account? or the server? You're so vague in your
    >> descriptions, I can't tell what you're looking for.

    >>> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to
    >>> this newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup
    >>> messages with Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >>>
    >>> When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the
    >>> connection to AT&T has failed.
    >>>
    >>> I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and
    >>> running. Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    >> Let's go over this step by step:
    >>
    >> You created a new Mail account for Comcast under "tools - account
    >> settings - create new account", and filled in your name and email
    >> address and POP3 server as prompted.
    >>
    >> You went into "tools - account settings - outgoing servers" and added
    >> the comcast SMTP server and set it as default.
    >>
    >> You went into to "tools - account settings", selected the mail account
    >> (NOT server settings!), and made sure it was set to "use the default
    >> server".
    >>
    >> Please confirm that THESE were the steps you've taken. INCLUDE DETAILS.
    >>

    > Those were the exact steps I took. When I then attempted to send myself
    > an email at the comcast address, the "From" window indicated my at&t
    > address, and the email attemted to connect to mailhost at&t.

    You might also want to go into your ATT set up program and either delete
    or disable that account....

    This was a separate program if I remember.

  18. Re: help configure TB mail

    burris wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >>> richard wrote in
    >>> newsuadnV3-pLUe-UjenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@mozilla.org:

    /snip/

    > You might also want to go into your ATT set up program and either delete
    > or disable that account....
    >
    > This was a separate program if I remember.

    There is a separate ATT Connection Manager program, but it was not
    necessary to use it.

    richard, before you go about deleting anything, are you keeping your old
    ATT accounts, under the 5/95 pplan?

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  19. Re: help configure TB mail

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> You might also want to go into your ATT set up program and either
    >> delete or disable that account....
    >>
    >> This was a separate program if I remember.

    > There is a separate ATT Connection Manager program, but it was not
    > necessary to use it.
    >
    > richard, before you go about deleting anything, are you keeping your old
    > ATT accounts, under the 5/95 pplan?
    >
    > Lee

    I am keeping the full AT&T program until I can figure out how to get TB
    working. I cannot understand what the problem is.

    I did receive message to the Local Folders by sending it from my AT&T to
    my Comcast address. But I still cannot send out any mail from Comcast as
    configured in TB.

  20. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> burris wrote:

    /snip/

    > I am keeping the full AT&T program until I can figure out how to get TB
    > working. I cannot understand what the problem is.
    >
    > I did receive message to the Local Folders by sending it from my AT&T to
    > my Comcast address. But I still cannot send out any mail from Comcast as
    > configured in TB.

    Okay, so your comcast account works for pop access. If you want to have
    your accounts display in there own account trees:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(comcast account)>>Server Settings

    Click the Advanced button to make your changes.

    The more important question is getting smtp to work.

    Did you see John's suggestion of:

    http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18070

    It seems quite accurate to me. Take a look and post back if you have
    more questions.

    Lee