help configure TB mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on help configure TB mail - Mozilla ; John Wentworth wrote: > richard wrote: > >>> >> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this >> newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with >> Comcast but cannot send ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: help configure TB mail

    John Wentworth wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >

    >> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent to this
    >> newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup messages with
    >> Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >>
    >> When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the connection
    >> to AT&T has failed.
    >>
    >> I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and running.
    >> Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    > Comcast has detailed instructions for checking your TB settings at:
    > http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18070
    >
    > There are detailed instruction for initial TB setup at
    > http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18069
    >
    > There are extensive directions for configuring your Comcast broadband
    > connection at:
    > http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...nnection117638

    Thanks for this. I checked and double-checked all my TB entries and they
    comply with those in the Comcast instructions. I still cannot email,
    however, which is frustrating, to say the least.

    The new account for some reason does not appear with its list of folders
    to the left of the email screen. I do have one message TO me in the
    Local Folders Inbox--that came after I sent it from my AT&T connection
    to my Comcast address.

    Totally confused here.

  2. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > John Wentworth wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    /snip/
    > Thanks for this. I checked and double-checked all my TB entries and they
    > comply with those in the Comcast instructions. I still cannot email,
    > however, which is frustrating, to say the least.
    >
    > The new account for some reason does not appear with its list of folders
    > to the left of the email screen. I do have one message TO me in the
    > Local Folders Inbox--that came after I sent it from my AT&T connection
    > to my Comcast address.
    >
    > Totally confused here.

    See my other post about turning off the Global Inbox.

    As far as smtp, you have smtp.comcast.net set up as your default smtp
    server?

    Look at Tools>>Account Settings>>(comcast account)

    On Outgoing server, drop down the menu, and choose the default smtp
    server, if smtp.comcast.net is set as the default.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: help configure TB mail

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > richard wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> I am keeping the full AT&T program until I can figure out how to get
    >> TB working. I cannot understand what the problem is.
    >>
    >> I did receive message to the Local Folders by sending it from my AT&T
    >> to my Comcast address. But I still cannot send out any mail from
    >> Comcast as configured in TB.

    > Okay, so your comcast account works for pop access. If you want to have
    > your accounts display in there own account trees:
    >
    > Tools>>Account Settings>>(comcast account)>>Server Settings
    >
    > Click the Advanced button to make your changes.
    >
    > The more important question is getting smtp to work.
    >
    > Did you see John's suggestion of:
    >
    > http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...underbird18070
    >
    > It seems quite accurate to me. Take a look and post back if you have
    > more questions.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,
    Thanks for hanging in there with me. Yes, I did check the comcast check
    of TB settings. Mine all appear correct. (I did get the account tree to
    appear, thanks).

    Perhaps here is a clue: when I click on the quick launch for TB, it
    searches for AT&T until it times out. I don't know why it does that.

    I have selected the Comcast account/server as default.

    I have the smtp set as: smtp.comcast.net and the proper port. But cannot
    get a message out. Terribly frustrating

  4. Re: help configure TB mail

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> burris wrote:
    >>> richard wrote:

    > /snip/
    >
    >> Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net
    >> for smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I
    >> thought I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >>
    >> First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the
    >> TB screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked
    >> on Tools and Account Settings.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the
    >> info at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >>
    >> I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    > Look in Local Folders, you probably have the Global Inbox enabled.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,
    I have changed it to Set for Inbox in this Server Account. Is that okay?

  5. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:

    > Thanks for this. I checked and double-checked all my TB entries and they
    > comply with those in the Comcast instructions. I still cannot email,
    > however, which is frustrating, to say the least.
    >
    > The new account for some reason does not appear with its list of folders
    > to the left of the email screen. I do have one message TO me in the
    > Local Folders Inbox--that came after I sent it from my AT&T connection
    > to my Comcast address.
    >
    > Totally confused here.

    Just to be clear: You created an email on the computer where you have TB
    installed, and used your AT&T dial-up account to send it to your Comcast
    account?

    What OS are you using?
    Can you go to Control Panel-Internet Options- Connections? What is
    selected? Never Dial A Connection?

  6. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    /snip/

    > Lee,
    > I have changed it to Set for Inbox in this Server Account. Is that okay?

    Exactly right!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: help configure TB mail

    John Wentworth wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for this. I checked and double-checked all my TB entries and
    >> they comply with those in the Comcast instructions. I still cannot
    >> email, however, which is frustrating, to say the least.
    >>
    >> The new account for some reason does not appear with its list of
    >> folders to the left of the email screen. I do have one message TO me
    >> in the Local Folders Inbox--that came after I sent it from my AT&T
    >> connection to my Comcast address.
    >>
    >> Totally confused here.

    > Just to be clear: You created an email on the computer where you have TB
    > installed, and used your AT&T dial-up account to send it to your Comcast
    > account?
    >
    > What OS are you using?
    > Can you go to Control Panel-Internet Options- Connections? What is
    > selected? Never Dial A Connection?

    That's right--I used my AT&T dialup with TB to send an email to my
    Comcast email. It came through my Local Folders Inbox.

    I am using XPPro. I have Never Dial a Connection checked.

    richard

  8. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    /snip/
    > Lee,
    > Thanks for hanging in there with me. Yes, I did check the comcast check
    > of TB settings. Mine all appear correct. (I did get the account tree to
    > appear, thanks).
    >
    > Perhaps here is a clue: when I click on the quick launch for TB, it
    > searches for AT&T until it times out. I don't know why it does that.
    >
    > I have selected the Comcast account/server as default.
    >
    > I have the smtp set as: smtp.comcast.net and the proper port. But cannot
    > get a message out. Terribly frustrating

    I suspect its looking for email from the postoffice.worldnet.att.net pop
    server. That will only work when you are dialed into ATT.

    You can either disable the check on startup for the ATT account in
    Account Settings, or change to the ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net pop
    server, with SSL enabled. This will allow you to check your ATT mail
    while connect via Comcast.

    As far as sending with the Comcast SMTP server, make sure your Comcaset
    account is set to that server:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(Comcast account)

    Look at the Outgoing Server settings.

    Also, remember the Windows words to live by, when in doubt, reboot

    In other words, try restarting Windows.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  9. Re: help configure TB mail

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > richard wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>>

    >> Lee,
    >> I have changed it to Set for Inbox in this Server Account. Is that okay?

    > Exactly right!
    >
    > Lee

    AT LAST!!!! I unchecked the Use Password and was able to mail a message
    to myself via Comcast. I went back to see where this checked box was and
    can no longer find it so that I can't explain exactly where it was in
    the Account Setting.

    Thank all of you with your patient help.
    richard

  10. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> richard wrote:

    /snip/

    > AT LAST!!!! I unchecked the Use Password and was able to mail a message
    > to myself via Comcast. I went back to see where this checked box was and
    > can no longer find it so that I can't explain exactly where it was in
    > the Account Setting.
    >
    > Thank all of you with your patient help.
    > richard

    I suspect it was in Account Settings>>Outgoing Server.

    I am very glad you have it working now. Don't hesitate to come back
    here if you encounter any more problems!

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  11. Re: help configure TB mail

    richard wrote in

    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >> richard wrote in
    >> newsuadnV3-pLUe-UjenZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@mozilla.org:

    >> This confuses me: SMTPs do not setup as an account. It's a
    >> server. Not an account.

    >> The new mail account? or the server? You're so vague in your
    >> descriptions, I can't tell what you're looking for.

    >>> The only items in local folders are all the messages I sent
    >>> to this newsgroup. Odd that I can send and receive newsgroup
    >>> messages with Comcast but cannot send or receive mail.
    >>>
    >>> When TB first comes up, I always get the message that the
    >>> connection to AT&T has failed.
    >>>
    >>> I can't understand why I cannot get the mail program up and
    >>> running. Perhaps someone with Comcast may come to my rescue.

    >> Let's go over this step by step:
    >>
    >> You created a new Mail account for Comcast under "tools -
    >> account settings - create new account", and filled in your
    >> name and email address and POP3 server as prompted.
    >>
    >> You went into "tools - account settings - outgoing servers"
    >> and added the comcast SMTP server and set it as default.
    >>
    >> You went into to "tools - account settings", selected the
    >> mail account (NOT server settings!), and made sure it was set
    >> to "use the default server".
    >>
    >> Please confirm that THESE were the steps you've taken.
    >> INCLUDE DETAILS.
    >>

    > Those were the exact steps I took. When I then attempted to
    > send myself an email at the comcast address, the "From" window
    > indicated my at&t address, and the email attemted to connect
    > to mailhost at&t.

    Then you've skipped something.

    Click on the account name for your new Comcast account. What is
    entered in the fields there?

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Anything I do is purely coincidental.

  12. Re: help configure TB mail

    On 1/23/2006 2:34 PM Pacific, richard wrote:
    > burris wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> I have run into a wall trying to get TB configured with Comcast. I
    >>> currently have AT&T dialup and just got Comcast installed.
    >>>
    >>> When I successfully added mail.comcast.net as the incoming server, but
    >>> the only option I am given for the outgoing smtp is AT&T or default.
    >>> There appears no way to enter comcast.net for smtp that I can see.
    >>>
    >>> Earlier when trying to set up the new mail service, I kept getting the
    >>> message that I have two identical names, that I need to go back and
    >>> change servers.
    >>>
    >>> I am lost. Any detailed help much valued.
    >>>
    >>> richard

    >> Default should be fine. That's what I have.
    >>
    >> On the first page of account settings under your named email server, do
    >> you see at the bottom "outgoing server SMTP?"
    >>
    >> I believe this should have originally be set up when you set up the
    >> account. You can go through the set-up again and edit those settings....
    >>
    >> burris

    > Here's where I am now. I selected New Server and put in comcast.net for
    > smtp. That move got the Default indicated as comcast.net. So, I thought
    > I was home free. I selected the new account as Default.
    >
    > First of all, the new account never showed up in the left side of the TB
    > screen (where all the folders are). It did show up when I clicked on
    > Tools and Account Settings.
    >
    > Anyway, I tried to mail myself a test--and I saw right away on the info
    > at the top of the screen that mail was still using AT&T.
    >
    > I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

    Tools>>Account Settings>>Account
    Just below the middle of the page is a drop down list for the outgoing
    server. Make sure it is set to "Use default server".

    Irwin

    --
    Irwin Greenwald - Mozilla Champion

    About Profiles -