Use one set of addresses for fax, e-mail, mailmerge and contact management - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Use one set of addresses for fax, e-mail, mailmerge and contact management - Mozilla ; Hello, it's crowded here already... I am a very happy user of Thunderbird for about a year now. I started by importing all my business contacts from outlook, but I must say that I am disappointed on the facitities to ...

  1. Use one set of addresses for fax, e-mail, mailmerge and contact management

    Hello, it's crowded here already...

    I am a very happy user of Thunderbird for about a year now.
    I started by importing all my business contacts from outlook, but I must
    say that I am disappointed on the facitities to manage contact details.

    This morning a web site offered the possibility to download contact data
    as a Vcard.
    I have Firefox as my default browser and Thunderbird as my default
    client. I have not even touched Outlook in my brand new set-up.
    Yet the Vcard presented itself in the tabbed lay-out that I remember
    from Outlook, that in an other setting appeared very useful in
    maintaining customer data.
    Is it some contact management program from Windows XP that manifestated
    itself?

    Thinking of it, Windows fax has some address book, Outlook has, Outlook
    express would have one. I am not sure if they can be set to use the same
    database. That would be best. It would be logical that contact data are
    centrally managed by the OS, independent from the applications.

    In that case, can Thunderbird use this same database? It can import
    data, so it should be an easy trick...

    How are things organised under Unix?

    --
    Leo te Braake

  2. Re: Use one set of addresses for fax, e-mail, mailmerge and contactmanagement

    Leo M.te Braake wrote:

    > Hello, it's crowded here already...

    {SNIP}

    > Thinking of it, Windows fax has some address book, Outlook has, Outlook
    > express would have one. I am not sure if they can be set to use the same
    > database. That would be best. It would be logical that contact data are
    > centrally managed by the OS, independent from the applications.
    >
    > In that case, can Thunderbird use this same database? It can import
    > data, so it should be an easy trick...
    >
    > How are things organised under Unix?

    To convert your addessbooks, try the Dawn Addressbook converter:
    http://www.hull.ac.uk/helpdesk/FreeSoftware/Dawn.zip

+ Reply to Thread