Incorrect display of number of unread news items - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Incorrect display of number of unread news items - Mozilla ; I'm using Thunderbird 1.5. In a particular newsgroup on a different server than this one (happens to be TeraNews), each time T-bird checks for new messages, it displays the number of unread messages in parentheses to the right of the ...

  1. Incorrect display of number of unread news items

    I'm using Thunderbird 1.5. In a particular newsgroup on a different
    server than this one (happens to be TeraNews), each time T-bird checks
    for new messages, it displays the number of unread messages in
    parentheses to the right of the newsgroup name. Problem is, when I
    actually click on the newsgroup name, the number changes (always to a
    lower number). For example, it checks for new messages, displays (53),
    and when I click on it it changes to (4). And in fact there only seem
    to be 4 new messages waiting. I've tried unsubscribing and
    resubscribing (including deleting the associated .DAT and .MSF files so
    that they get recreated), and it doesn't help. Does anyone have any
    idea why this happens? Thanks. p

  2. Re: Incorrect display of number of unread news items

    RAV wrote:
    [...]
    > For example, it checks for new messages, displays (53),
    > and when I click on it it changes to (4)...

    I think it's a bug which needs to be fixed. The new version
    fixed many old bugs but introduced some new ones also, and
    this is one of them.

    It will get fixed eventually, but it will take time.

  3. Re: Incorrect display of number of unread news items

    RAV wrote:
    > I'm using Thunderbird 1.5. In a particular newsgroup on a different
    > server than this one (happens to be TeraNews), each time T-bird checks
    > for new messages, it displays the number of unread messages in
    > parentheses to the right of the newsgroup name. Problem is, when I
    > actually click on the newsgroup name, the number changes (always to a
    > lower number). For example, it checks for new messages, displays (53),
    > and when I click on it it changes to (4). And in fact there only seem
    > to be 4 new messages waiting. I've tried unsubscribing and
    > resubscribing (including deleting the associated .DAT and .MSF files so
    > that they get recreated), and it doesn't help. Does anyone have any
    > idea why this happens? Thanks. p

    This is caused on some groups by canceled messages, and killfiles. For
    example, if you've killfiled a annoying poster, his messages will not
    appear in the group, but they will be in the count in the left pane,
    until you open the group and the filter is applied.

    To correct this, close TB. Go to your [profile folder, news subfolder,
    and open the .rc file for that account in a text editor. You will see
    all your groups listed. For example in my news.mozilla.com.rc file, I
    see for this group:

    mozilla.support.thunderbird: 1-863,865-919,921-930,932,934-938

    If I want to return the unread count to none, I will edit it to this:

    mozilla.support.thunderbird: 1-938

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  4. Re: Incorrect display of number of unread news items

    On 18.01.2006 23:38, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Leonidas Jones
    to generate the following:? :

    > RAV wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Thunderbird 1.5. In a particular newsgroup on a different
    >> server than this one (happens to be TeraNews), each time T-bird
    >> checks for new messages, it displays the number of unread messages in
    >> parentheses to the right of the newsgroup name. Problem is, when I
    >> actually click on the newsgroup name, the number changes (always to a
    >> lower number). For example, it checks for new messages, displays
    >> (53), and when I click on it it changes to (4). And in fact there
    >> only seem to be 4 new messages waiting. I've tried unsubscribing and
    >> resubscribing (including deleting the associated .DAT and .MSF files
    >> so that they get recreated), and it doesn't help. Does anyone have
    >> any idea why this happens? Thanks. p

    > This is caused on some groups by canceled messages, and killfiles. For
    > example, if you've killfiled a annoying poster, his messages will not
    > appear in the group, but they will be in the count in the left pane,
    > until you open the group and the filter is applied.
    >
    > To correct this, close TB. Go to your [profile folder, news
    > subfolder, and open the .rc file for that account in a text editor.
    > You will see all your groups listed. For example in my
    > news.mozilla.com.rc file, I see for this group:
    >
    > mozilla.support.thunderbird: 1-863,865-919,921-930,932,934-938
    >
    > If I want to return the unread count to none, I will edit it to this:
    >
    > mozilla.support.thunderbird: 1-938
    >
    > Lee

    in addition to Lee's explanation, you can also edit the sequence in
    which the newsgroups are listed under a server.....
    I've attached a little explanation of how to do this - it's near the
    bottom od all the blabla!

    reg

    Editing *.rc files (Newsgroups)
    *please note - the groups are now on a different server!* January 2006

    The *.rc files store the count of posts that you have read. Sometimes
    though, they get the hiccups and lose count, causing the "Message Count"
    that shows next to the NG Folder to give either the wrong number of
    "unread posts" or to perpetually show an "unread post" even though there
    is none available!

    The good news is that the *.rc files are a "Plain Text List" that you
    can edit, using the Notepad or Wordpad editors!

    CLOSE YOUR eMAIL PROGRAM - otherwise the changes you make may not stick
    .... strange things happen with computers!

    Do a Windows search for *.rc - you may well get quite a long list
    showing - each eMail program you use will show an *.rc file for each
    Newsgroup server you visit!

    Generally speaking though, *.rc files "live" in your eMail program's
    Profile folder.

    So - what to do, now that you have found 27 *.rc files?? (No joke -
    I've got 50 of them)

    In the right-hand column of the "Find" list, look for the Profile that
    you want to clean up - if needbe, click on the top bar [ In folder ] and
    sort by name!
    In the left-hand column, find the NG-Server name ( for the Newsgroup
    that is showing the wrong count ), and DOUBLE click the file name to
    open (i.e secnews.netscape.com.rc for the Thunderbird Newsgroup)
    If the file doesn't open in Wordpad or Notepad, mark the file name, HOLD
    the shift key on your keyboard and RIGHT click the marked file name.
    Select "Open with" and browse with [Other] to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

    Here, I'll show you my secnews.netscape.com.rc as an example... all the
    others look much the same, and editing them is also the same task!

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26285,26287-26291,26296-26302,26308
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    As you can see, the message-counts are normally 1-12345 with NO breaks
    in the sequence! This means that Posts 1 through 12345 have been marked
    as "read" for your login!
    In my list above, for the third newsgroup (Thunderbird) the count has
    gone a bit "haywire" - for what reason ever doesn't matter here! We
    want to clean-up the mess it MAY cause.

    So - simply edit that line to read
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308

    and save the file back to where it was before! MAKE SURE THOUGH, that
    the editor does NOT attach a .txt suffix - it seems that Windows is a
    bit irrational in this way - because *secnews.netscape.com.rc.txt*
    won't be found by your eMail program!!

    Now - what else can we do, whilst we are here?
    More good news.... you can "sort" the order in which the Newsgroups
    show under their Server Name (this does not work for sorting the SERVER
    NAME LIST)

    As I prefer to see the posts in the Thunderbird group first, before I go
    on to the Firefox group, I simply mark and cut the complete Thunderbird
    line, and insert it between the

    >>netscape.communicator<< and
    >>netscape.mozilla.firefox<< groups!

    The original list has now been edited to look like this:

    netscape.communicator: 1-407837
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird: 1-26308
    netscape.mozilla.firefox: 1-7961
    netscape.mozilla.user.general: 1-43449
    netscape.mozilla.user.win32: 1-42441
    netscape.netscape7.windows: 1-81653
    netscape.netscape8.windows: 1-779
    netscape.test.secnews2: 1-789
    netscape.test.multimedia: 1-125681

    Again - SAVE the file, as stated further up!

    When I re-start my eMail program (here, Thunderbird) the NG order has
    been changed and - hopefully - the annoying miscounting has gone to the
    electrical Nirvana!

    reg - September 2005

+ Reply to Thread