How to link to other NG messages within TB? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to link to other NG messages within TB? - Mozilla ; Hi, I took Chris' reminder message (Subject: [Reminder] *Mozilla support.thunderbird newsgroup available*) as an example in the secnews Thunderbird NG, right-clicked it in the message list and went "Copy message location", then pasted it in: snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/dqjq84$3dk4@ripley.aoltw.net It doesn't work. Clicking ...

  1. How to link to other NG messages within TB?

    Hi,

    I took Chris' reminder message (Subject: [Reminder] *Mozilla
    support.thunderbird newsgroup available*) as an example in the secnews
    Thunderbird NG, right-clicked it in the message list and went "Copy
    message location", then pasted it in:
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/dqjq84$3dk4@ripley.aoltw.net

    It doesn't work.

    Clicking the link prompts TB to prompt you to take some sort of action,
    e. g. open it in Firefox. Selecting TB for opening it doesn't take you
    to the message, but results in a short blink. Opening in FF shows the
    intended message body, but from some local TEMP directory.

    How should this be done properly from withing TB?

    Someone pointed out the message id finder
    (http://messageidfinder.mozdev.org/), but this kind of linking has been
    possible and done without any extensions earlier.

    I'd very much like to avoid relying on extensions if at all possible,
    since they're a hassle when updating.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  2. Re: How to link to other NG messages within TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I took Chris' reminder message (Subject: [Reminder] *Mozilla
    > support.thunderbird newsgroup available*) as an example in the secnews
    > Thunderbird NG, right-clicked it in the message list and went "Copy
    > message location", then pasted it in:
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/dqjq84$3dk4@ripley.aoltw.net
    >
    > It doesn't work.
    >
    > Clicking the link prompts TB to prompt you to take some sort of action,
    > e. g. open it in Firefox. Selecting TB for opening it doesn't take you
    > to the message, but results in a short blink. Opening in FF shows the
    > intended message body, but from some local TEMP directory.
    >
    > How should this be done properly from withing TB?
    >
    > Someone pointed out the message id finder
    > (http://messageidfinder.mozdev.org/), but this kind of linking has been
    > possible and done without any extensions earlier.
    >
    > I'd very much like to avoid relying on extensions if at all possible,
    > since they're a hassle when updating.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    I don't know. Its strange. Sometimes when I click on one of those
    links, it opens within the current message. Other times (like the
    test you did in secnews) it would open my browser and nothing happens.
    Then again, when I clicked on your link above, it opened within the
    browser. But then again, I'm forced to use Message ID Finder for it
    to work.

+ Reply to Thread