TB as default mail client - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB as default mail client - Mozilla ; I am running TB on a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system for a while now. If I recall, I started with TB 1.0.4. With each new release, I have uninstalled the old TB, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird" directory, rebooted ...

  1. TB as default mail client

    I am running TB on a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system for a
    while now. If I recall, I started with TB 1.0.4. With
    each new release, I have uninstalled the old TB, removed
    the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird" directory,
    rebooted and installed the new version. This update
    procedure is done while logged on as Administrator.

    I normally run as a member of the "Power User" group and
    TB has been my default mail client all this time.

    I wanted to test something, so I made Outlook Express my
    default mail client and did my testing. Now, every time
    I launch TB 1.5, I get the message box asking "Do you want
    to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the default mail application?".
    I check the "Do not display this dialog again" and hit "Yes".
    But, the next time I launch TB, I get the same prompt.

    I have uninstalled TB 1.5, removed the
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird" directory, rebooted,
    reinstalled 1.5 (all while logged on as Administrator). I
    ran TB while logged in as Administrator and set it to be the
    default mail client.

    But, when I log in using my every day/non-administrative account,
    TB always prompts about becoming the default mail application.

    I even created a new profile with no extensions or config
    modifications. Same result.

    I can launch SysInternals Regmon utility and when TB
    launches, I see that there is an error "ACCESS DENIED"
    when TB tries to open the following registry keys:

    HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
    HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command
    HKLM\Software\Classes\.eml
    HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\Protocols\mailto
    HKCR\MozillaMapi

    If I add myself to the Administrators group, everything
    works normally.

    I saw a post about "Default Programs" in this group
    (news://ov-dnShSVJqkU1neRVn-hw@mozilla.org), but have no
    idea if this is related.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: TB as default mail client

    Ernie wrote:
    > I am running TB on a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system for a while now. If
    > I recall, I started with TB 1.0.4. With each new release, I have
    > uninstalled the old TB, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird" directory, rebooted and installed the new version. This
    > update procedure is done while logged on as Administrator.
    >
    > I normally run as a member of the "Power User" group and TB has been
    > my default mail client all this time.
    >
    > I wanted to test something, so I made Outlook Express my default mail
    > client and did my testing. Now, every time I launch TB 1.5, I get the
    > message box asking "Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the
    > default mail application?". I check the "Do not display this dialog
    > again" and hit "Yes". But, the next time I launch TB, I get the same
    > prompt.
    >
    > I have uninstalled TB 1.5, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird" directory, rebooted, reinstalled 1.5 (all while logged
    > on as Administrator). I ran TB while logged in as Administrator and
    > set it to be the default mail client.
    >
    > But, when I log in using my every day/non-administrative account, TB
    > always prompts about becoming the default mail application.
    >
    > I even created a new profile with no extensions or config
    > modifications. Same result.
    >
    > I can launch SysInternals Regmon utility and when TB launches, I see
    > that there is an error "ACCESS DENIED" when TB tries to open the
    > following registry keys:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
    > HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command
    > HKLM\Software\Classes\.eml HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    > Thunderbird\Protocols\mailto HKCR\MozillaMapi
    >
    > If I add myself to the Administrators group, everything works
    > normally.
    >
    > I saw a post about "Default Programs" in this group
    > (news://ov-dnShSVJqkU1neRVn-hw@mozilla.org), but have no idea if this
    > is related.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Try going to control panel...add/remove and toward the lower left..set
    program access and defaults.

    Look at the various choices especially custom and see if you can make
    your choices there..

    burris

  3. Re: TB as default mail client

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:36:57 -0500, burris
    wrote:

    >Ernie wrote:
    >> I am running TB on a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system for a while now. If
    >> I recall, I started with TB 1.0.4. With each new release, I have
    >> uninstalled the old TB, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    >> Thunderbird" directory, rebooted and installed the new version. This
    >> update procedure is done while logged on as Administrator.
    >>
    >> I normally run as a member of the "Power User" group and TB has been
    >> my default mail client all this time.
    >>
    >> I wanted to test something, so I made Outlook Express my default mail
    >> client and did my testing. Now, every time I launch TB 1.5, I get the
    >> message box asking "Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the
    >> default mail application?". I check the "Do not display this dialog
    >> again" and hit "Yes". But, the next time I launch TB, I get the same
    >> prompt.
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled TB 1.5, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    >> Thunderbird" directory, rebooted, reinstalled 1.5 (all while logged
    >> on as Administrator). I ran TB while logged in as Administrator and
    >> set it to be the default mail client.
    >>
    >> But, when I log in using my every day/non-administrative account, TB
    >> always prompts about becoming the default mail application.
    >>
    >> I even created a new profile with no extensions or config
    >> modifications. Same result.
    >>
    >> I can launch SysInternals Regmon utility and when TB launches, I see
    >> that there is an error "ACCESS DENIED" when TB tries to open the
    >> following registry keys:
    >>
    >> HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
    >> HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command
    >> HKLM\Software\Classes\.eml HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >> Thunderbird\Protocols\mailto HKCR\MozillaMapi
    >>
    >> If I add myself to the Administrators group, everything works
    >> normally.
    >>
    >> I saw a post about "Default Programs" in this group
    >> (news://ov-dnShSVJqkU1neRVn-hw@mozilla.org), but have no idea if this
    >> is related.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >Try going to control panel...add/remove and toward the lower left..set
    >program access and defaults.
    >
    >Look at the various choices especially custom and see if you can make
    >your choices there..
    >
    >burris

    I have tried going to the control panel, add/remove programs,
    set program access and defaults, and set the default mail
    client to TB. This had to be done while logged in as Administrator,
    as you cannot do this as a non-administrative user.

    Same result when launching TB as a non-administrative user ..
    always asks to become the default mail client. As I mentioned,
    the Regmon utility shows ACCESS DENIED errors while trying
    to read/write some of the registry keys.

  4. Re: TB as default mail client

    Ernie wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:36:57 -0500, burris
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ernie wrote:
    >>> I am running TB on a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system for a while now. If
    >>> I recall, I started with TB 1.0.4. With each new release, I have
    >>> uninstalled the old TB, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird" directory, rebooted and installed the new version. This
    >>> update procedure is done while logged on as Administrator.
    >>>
    >>> I normally run as a member of the "Power User" group and TB has been
    >>> my default mail client all this time.
    >>>
    >>> I wanted to test something, so I made Outlook Express my default mail
    >>> client and did my testing. Now, every time I launch TB 1.5, I get the
    >>> message box asking "Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as the
    >>> default mail application?". I check the "Do not display this dialog
    >>> again" and hit "Yes". But, the next time I launch TB, I get the same
    >>> prompt.
    >>>
    >>> I have uninstalled TB 1.5, removed the "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird" directory, rebooted, reinstalled 1.5 (all while logged
    >>> on as Administrator). I ran TB while logged in as Administrator and
    >>> set it to be the default mail client.
    >>>
    >>> But, when I log in using my every day/non-administrative account, TB
    >>> always prompts about becoming the default mail application.
    >>>
    >>> I even created a new profile with no extensions or config
    >>> modifications. Same result.
    >>>
    >>> I can launch SysInternals Regmon utility and when TB launches, I see
    >>> that there is an error "ACCESS DENIED" when TB tries to open the
    >>> following registry keys:
    >>>
    >>> HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto
    >>> HKLM\Software\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command
    >>> HKLM\Software\Classes\.eml HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail\Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird\Protocols\mailto HKCR\MozillaMapi
    >>>
    >>> If I add myself to the Administrators group, everything works
    >>> normally.
    >>>
    >>> I saw a post about "Default Programs" in this group
    >>> (news://ov-dnShSVJqkU1neRVn-hw@mozilla.org), but have no idea if this
    >>> is related.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Try going to control panel...add/remove and toward the lower left..set
    >> program access and defaults.
    >>
    >> Look at the various choices especially custom and see if you can make
    >> your choices there..
    >>
    >> burris

    > I have tried going to the control panel, add/remove programs,
    > set program access and defaults, and set the default mail
    > client to TB. This had to be done while logged in as Administrator,
    > as you cannot do this as a non-administrative user.
    >
    > Same result when launching TB as a non-administrative user ..
    > always asks to become the default mail client. As I mentioned,
    > the Regmon utility shows ACCESS DENIED errors while trying
    > to read/write some of the registry keys.

    In the access and defaults, what happens if you specifically remove all
    the necessary checks to completely eliminate any reference to IE and OE?

    Also, how about going into internet options and then internet properties
    and then programs. There are choices and maybe it might work from there.

  5. Re: TB as default mail client

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:00:10 -0500, burris
    wrote:

    >Ernie wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:36:57 -0500, burris
    >> wrote:

    >>> Try going to control panel...add/remove and toward the lower left..set
    >>> program access and defaults.
    >>>
    >>> Look at the various choices especially custom and see if you can make
    >>> your choices there..
    >>>
    >>> burris

    >> I have tried going to the control panel, add/remove programs,
    >> set program access and defaults, and set the default mail
    >> client to TB. This had to be done while logged in as Administrator,
    >> as you cannot do this as a non-administrative user.
    >>
    >> Same result when launching TB as a non-administrative user ..
    >> always asks to become the default mail client. As I mentioned,
    >> the Regmon utility shows ACCESS DENIED errors while trying
    >> to read/write some of the registry keys.
    >>

    >In the access and defaults, what happens if you specifically remove all
    >the necessary checks to completely eliminate any reference to IE and OE?

    Not really sure I follow this ... but in access/defaults, I selected
    TB as my default e-mail program and unchecked the check box for "Show
    this program" to the right of "Outlook Express"

    >Also, how about going into internet options and then internet properties
    >and then programs. There are choices and maybe it might work from there.

    Control panel -> Internet options -> programs ... TB is listed as the
    E-mail program.

    Thanks for the help, but I may have to resort to a reinstall .. if I
    click on a "mailto:" link, I now get butt-loads of IE windows opening.
    Guess I really screwed the pooch on this system

+ Reply to Thread