Is there a Search option in TB? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is there a Search option in TB? - Mozilla ; Is there a Search option in TB? I get an error "A News (NNTP) error ocured: xpat not suported. What is this? -- Cheers _ Hunibal _...

  1. Is there a Search option in TB?

    --

    Cheers _ Hunibal _

  2. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Hunibal wrote:
    > Is there a Search option in TB?
    >
    > I get an error
    > "A News (NNTP) error ocured: xpat not suported.
    > What is this?

    That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The quick
    search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Hunibal wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a Search option in TB?
    >>
    >> I get an error
    >> "A News (NNTP) error ocured: xpat not suported.
    >> What is this?

    > That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The quick
    > search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.

    Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    server for something available offline...

    BR,
    Gudmund

  4. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Hunibal wrote:

    /snip/

    > any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    > will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >
    > Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    > annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    > server for something available offline...
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Seeing as how Giganews is providing us this space for free as a service
    to Mozilla, I kind of doubt they're going to reconfigure the server for
    us

    It is a pain, however.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hunibal wrote:

    > /snip/
    >

    >> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >>
    >> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >> server for something available offline...
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Seeing as how Giganews is providing us this space for free as a service
    > to Mozilla, I kind of doubt they're going to reconfigure the server for
    > us
    >
    > It is a pain, however.
    >
    > Lee

    I think that pain will increase with the level of recurrency... :-/

    Does any other technical possibility to search these NG's from TB exist?
    E. g. would it be at least theoretically possible to solve from/inside TB?

    BR,
    Gudmund

    BR,
    Gudmund

  6. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>> Hunibal wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>
    >> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >>
    >> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >> server for something available offline...
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Seeing as how Giganews is providing us this space for free as a service
    > to Mozilla, I kind of doubt they're going to reconfigure the server for
    > us
    >
    > It is a pain, however.
    >
    > Lee

    So, the same question can & will be asked over and over and over ......

    --

    Cheers _ Hunibal _

  7. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 1:58 PM:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >> That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The
    >> quick search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    > any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    > will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.

    That's why it's on . :-(

    Chance that it what will change?
    Giganews supporting xpat? That was a conscious decision on their part
    many years ago. They're not the only server to disable xpat.
    This is a quote from 2003:
    "The XPAT command attempts to search through our entire spool
    of over 700 million articles, to match on a specific keyword,
    that is often found only in a handful of newsgroups. The
    command puts enough of a load on our servers, that several
    people using this at one time can affect the performance that
    all of our customers receive."

    Mozilla changing the search function, not to use XPAT?
    See:

    > Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    > annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    > server for something available offline...

    Switch to offline mode, *before* loading the search window.
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  8. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 1:58 PM:
    >
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>

    >>> That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The
    >>> quick search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    >> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.

    > That's why it's on . :-(
    >
    > Chance that it what will change?
    > Giganews supporting xpat? That was a conscious decision on their part
    > many years ago. They're not the only server to disable xpat.
    > This is a quote from 2003:
    > "The XPAT command attempts to search through our entire spool
    > of over 700 million articles, to match on a specific keyword,
    > that is often found only in a handful of newsgroups. The
    > command puts enough of a load on our servers, that several
    > people using this at one time can affect the performance that
    > all of our customers receive."

    ....so how is it supposed to be done, then? Having to launch a web
    browser and go through an external web page will surely prevent lots of
    people from doing it. It's counterintuitive and roundabout.

    I understand the server is more or less free, so there probably isn't
    much leverage to be done. Would they do something about it just because
    Mozillans are such nice people...?

    > Mozilla changing the search function, not to use XPAT?
    > See:

    I can see Karsten Düsterloh set it as "core problem bug for failing
    searches on some news servers", but it's still set as "New" rather than
    "Confirmed". Not sure what to make of it. Guess I'd have to read the
    linked-in bugs too, but it doesn't seem like anything will happen soon,
    2004-05-28 being the last entry date.

    >> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >> server for something available offline...

    > Switch to offline mode, *before* loading the search window.

    Will try, but I strongly feel that step should be rendered unnecessary.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  9. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    On 17.01.2006 20:30 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 1:58 PM:
    >> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The
    >>> quick search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    >> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.

    > That's why it's on . :-(
    >
    > Chance that it what will change?
    > Giganews supporting xpat? That was a conscious decision on their part
    > many years ago. They're not the only server to disable xpat.
    > This is a quote from 2003:
    > "The XPAT command attempts to search through our entire spool
    > of over 700 million articles, to match on a specific keyword,
    > that is often found only in a handful of newsgroups. The
    > command puts enough of a load on our servers, that several
    > people using this at one time can affect the performance that
    > all of our customers receive."
    >
    > Mozilla changing the search function, not to use XPAT?
    > See:
    >
    >> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >> server for something available offline...

    > Switch to offline mode, *before* loading the search window.

    It doesn't seem to work - even if I download all messages and then go
    offline, I can't even view the messages (let alone searching), and I get
    the following message:

    The body of this message has not been downloaded from the server for
    reading offline. To read this message, you must reconnect to the
    network, choose Offline from the File menu and then select Work
    Online.In the future, you can select which messages or folders to read
    offline. To do this, choose Offline from the file menu and then select
    Synchronise. You can adjust the Disc Space preference to prevent the
    downloading of large messages

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  10. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    On 17.01.2006 18:58 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Hunibal wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a Search option in TB?
    >>>
    >>> I get an error
    >>> "A News (NNTP) error ocured: xpat not suported.
    >>> What is this?

    >> That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The
    >> quick search bar does work for subject or sender searches.

    > any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    > will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >
    > Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    > annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    > server for something available offline...
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Hi Gudmund,

    remember the initial discussion about the "Reply To" policy on the
    mailing list?

    I have since decided that, contrary to my original statement, I do
    actually find the newsgroup better, but I kept my mailing list
    subscription active and I used a simple but effective trick to create my
    own local searchable archive *in the background*, i.e. I set up a filter
    for the TB and FF mailing list that sets all incoming mail to "Read" so
    that I'm not alerted to it :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    well ,golly.
    I was just going to post about the xpat problem on account of I usually
    do a search on a problem before I post on it and since I couldn't search
    for (coincidentally, keyword:'search') I skimmed the 800 or so posts and
    found this one.
    ....there's gonna be a_bunch of posts on xpat.
    oh, well... off line works for me.

  12. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    On 17.01.2006 22:22 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 17.01.2006 20:30 UK Time, Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 1:58 PM:

    >>> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >>> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.

    >> That's why it's on . :-(
    >>
    >> Chance that it what will change?
    >> Giganews supporting xpat? That was a conscious decision on their part
    >> many years ago. They're not the only server to disable xpat.
    >> This is a quote from 2003:
    >> "The XPAT command attempts to search through our entire spool
    >> of over 700 million articles, to match on a specific keyword,
    >> that is often found only in a handful of newsgroups. The
    >> command puts enough of a load on our servers, that several
    >> people using this at one time can affect the performance that
    >> all of our customers receive."
    >>
    >> Mozilla changing the search function, not to use XPAT?
    >> See:
    >>
    >>> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >>> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >>> server for something available offline...

    >> Switch to offline mode, *before* loading the search window.

    > It doesn't seem to work - even if I download all messages and then go
    > offline, I can't even view the messages (let alone searching), and I get
    > the following message:
    >
    > The body of this message has not been downloaded from the server for
    > reading offline. To read this message, you must reconnect to the
    > network, choose Offline from the File menu and then select Work
    > Online.In the future, you can select which messages or folders to read
    > offline. To do this, choose Offline from the file menu and then select
    > Synchronise. You can adjust the Disc Space preference to prevent the
    > downloading of large messages

    Ooops, I was sure I had selected the new FF and TB groups for offline
    use, but I just checked again, and it turns out I hadn't :-[

    It works now.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    _Gudmund Areskoug_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 3:55 PM:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >
    >> That's why it's on . :-(

    > ...so how is it supposed to be done, then? Having to launch a web
    > browser and go through an external web page will surely prevent lots of
    > people from doing it. It's counterintuitive and roundabout.

    It's supposed to be done by searching headers locally. There's not much
    difference. Regardless if the server supports XPAT or not, the only
    search criteria available are subject and sender.

    >> Mozilla changing the search function, not to use XPAT?
    >> See:

    > I can see Karsten Düsterloh set it as "core problem bug for failing
    > searches on some news servers", but it's still set as "New" rather than
    > "Confirmed". Not sure what to make of it. Guess I'd have to read the
    > linked-in bugs too, but it doesn't seem like anything will happen soon,
    > 2004-05-28 being the last entry date.

    NEW = Confirmed :-)
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cg...ds.html#status
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help
    Netscape 7 Help

  14. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 17.01.2006 18:58 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    >>> That's on this server, which does not support xpat searches. The
    >>> quick search bar does work for subject or sender searches.
    >>>

    >> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >>
    >> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >> server for something available offline...
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Hi Gudmund,
    >
    > remember the initial discussion about the "Reply To" policy on the
    > mailing list?
    >
    > I have since decided that, contrary to my original statement, I do
    > actually find the newsgroup better, but I kept my mailing list
    > subscription active and I used a simple but effective trick to create my
    > own local searchable archive *in the background*, i.e. I set up a filter
    > for the TB and FF mailing list that sets all incoming mail to "Read" so
    > that I'm not alerted to it :-)

    Clever, if you want to archive everything, except you still wouldn't
    have labels and flags. At least you get around the risk of inadvertently
    erasing your whole archive by unsubscribing, along with full search
    features...

    BR,
    Gudmund

  15. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    On 18.01.2006 09:03 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> any chances this will change? I feel confident the lack of it from TB
    >>> will spawn lots and lots of repetitious questions.
    >>>
    >>> Its (Ctrl+Shift+F) not working even on offline messages is highly
    >>> annoying, it even appears silly that the app wants to go look in the
    >>> server for something available offline...
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund

    >> Hi Gudmund,
    >>
    >> remember the initial discussion about the "Reply To" policy on the
    >> mailing list?
    >>
    >> I have since decided that, contrary to my original statement, I do
    >> actually find the newsgroup better, but I kept my mailing list
    >> subscription active and I used a simple but effective trick to create
    >> my own local searchable archive *in the background*, i.e. I set up a
    >> filter for the TB and FF mailing list that sets all incoming mail to
    >> "Read" so that I'm not alerted to it :-)

    > Clever, if you want to archive everything, except you still wouldn't
    > have labels and flags. At least you get around the risk of inadvertently
    > erasing your whole archive by unsubscribing, along with full search
    > features...

    I'm hoping that the archive loss has been addressed by the (apparently
    new) "Retention Policy" feature. It allows you to uncheck "Use server
    defaults" and tick "Don't delete any messages" instead.

    Perhaps I'll test it by unubscribing temporarily.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  16. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 18.01.2006 09:03 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Hi Gudmund,
    >>>
    >>> remember the initial discussion about the "Reply To" policy on the
    >>> mailing list?
    >>>
    >>> I have since decided that, contrary to my original statement, I do
    >>> actually find the newsgroup better, but I kept my mailing list
    >>> subscription active and I used a simple but effective trick to create
    >>> my own local searchable archive *in the background*, i.e. I set up a
    >>> filter for the TB and FF mailing list that sets all incoming mail to
    >>> "Read" so that I'm not alerted to it :-)

    >> Clever, if you want to archive everything, except you still wouldn't
    >> have labels and flags. At least you get around the risk of
    >> inadvertently erasing your whole archive by unsubscribing, along with
    >> full search features...

    > I'm hoping that the archive loss has been addressed by the (apparently
    > new) "Retention Policy" feature. It allows you to uncheck "Use server
    > defaults" and tick "Don't delete any messages" instead.
    >
    > Perhaps I'll test it by unubscribing temporarily.

    Yes, please do, then I won't have to :-)

    BR,
    Gudmund

  17. Re: Is there a Search option in TB?

    On 18.01.2006 09:40 UK Time, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:

    >>> Clever, if you want to archive everything, except you still wouldn't
    >>> have labels and flags. At least you get around the risk of
    >>> inadvertently erasing your whole archive by unsubscribing, along with
    >>> full search features...

    >> I'm hoping that the archive loss has been addressed by the (apparently
    >> new) "Retention Policy" feature. It allows you to uncheck "Use server
    >> defaults" and tick "Don't delete any messages" instead.
    >>
    >> Perhaps I'll test it by unubscribing temporarily.

    > Yes, please do, then I won't have to :-)

    Sadly, it doesn't work, i.e. mozilla.support.thunderbird was deleted
    when I unsubscribed. To add insult to injury, I had to delete
    mozilla.support.thunderbird.msf manually before I could read the
    messages again!

    See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/herb.ep...nimfurious.gif

    I wonder what this "Retention Policy" feature actually does???

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread