Searching news messages does not work in Thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Searching news messages does not work in Thunderbird - Mozilla ; I have been using Thunderbird for a long time, but never been able to search news messages. The same problem exists on Windows and Linux, with all tested versions since 1.0. I have an IMAP account set up, in this ...

  1. Searching news messages does not work in Thunderbird

    I have been using Thunderbird for a long time, but never been able to search news
    messages. The same problem exists on Windows and Linux, with all tested versions since 1.0.

    I have an IMAP account set up, in this one I can use the quick search bar or
    Edit->Find-Search Messages, and they both seem to work fine.

    However, for any NNTP news accounts, neither work. Both the quick search bar and
    Edit->Find-Search Messages always return an empty set, and judging by how quickly the
    result appears, my guess is that there hasn't even been an attempt to search the messages.
    Have tried various combinations of search criteria, but the result set is always empty.

    So my question is - has ANYONE been able to search news messages with Thunderbird? And if
    the answer is yes, do you have any suggestion as for how to get it working?

    BTW, searching the same messages with Outlook Express works like a charm... :-/

  2. Re: Searching news messages does not work in Thunderbird

    Havard Bjastad wrote:
    > However, for any NNTP news accounts, neither work. Both the quick search
    > bar and Edit->Find-Search Messages always return an empty set, and
    > judging by how quickly the result appears, my guess is that there hasn't
    > even been an attempt to search the messages. Have tried various
    > combinations of search criteria, but the result set is always empty.
    >
    > So my question is - has ANYONE been able to search news messages with
    > Thunderbird? And if the answer is yes, do you have any suggestion as for
    > how to get it working?

    It works "just fine" here, but with severely crippled abilities. With
    NG's it doesn't search locally stored messages at all, only server side.
    This works on secnews, but not on "normal" NG servers, like the one
    we're on now - this one only gives an xpat error message when running
    the search.

    You can only search NG's for subject and/or sender criteria.

    I haven't done anything special to make it work here. Perhaps you've got
    some extension or tweak that went too clever?

    Using the top right hand search field turns up hits, even "Entire
    message", but apparently only from offline messages.

    BR,
    Gudmund

+ Reply to Thread