selected content only for 'reply' - Mozilla

This is a discussion on selected content only for 'reply' - Mozilla ; I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete, to enable context to be seen. However, when I reply to a mail or ...

  1. selected content only for 'reply'

    I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    to enable context to be seen.

    However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    the original content.

    How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    is offered to me in the reply?
    tia
    --
    ac

  2. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    _ac_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 2:07 AM:
    > I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    > one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    > to enable context to be seen.
    >
    > However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    > situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    > the original content.
    >
    > How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    > is offered to me in the reply?
    > tia

    Not automatically. What you /can/ do is select the text, and copy it.
    Click on "Reply" then go to 'Edit -> Paste as Quotation.'
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  3. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _ac_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 2:07 AM:
    >> I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    >> one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    >> to enable context to be seen.
    >>
    >> However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    >> situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    >> the original content.
    >>
    >> How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    >> is offered to me in the reply?
    >> tia

    > Not automatically. What you /can/ do is select the text, and copy it.
    > Click on "Reply" then go to 'Edit -> Paste as Quotation.'

    Thanks Chris, I'll try that.
    --
    ac

  4. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    ac wrote:
    > Chris Ilias wrote:
    >> _ac_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 2:07 AM:
    >>> I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    >>> one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    >>> to enable context to be seen.
    >>>
    >>> However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    >>> situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    >>> the original content.
    >>>
    >>> How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    >>> is offered to me in the reply?
    >>> tia

    >> Not automatically. What you /can/ do is select the text, and copy it.
    >> Click on "Reply" then go to 'Edit -> Paste as Quotation.'

    > Thanks Chris, I'll try that.

    mmm. Almost there. Unfortunately it does not seem to be intended for
    use as the main initial content - using the above mentioned facility I
    need to also select the existing text in the default reply-with
    full-quote, delete it, being careful to leave the attributions intact,
    then paste.
    --
    ac

  5. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    ac <"aec$list"@candt.waitrose.co.uk> wrote in

    > ac wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _ac_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 2:07 AM:

    >>> Not automatically. What you /can/ do is select the text, and
    >>> copy it. Click on "Reply" then go to 'Edit -> Paste as
    >>> Quotation.'

    >> Thanks Chris, I'll try that.

    > mmm. Almost there. Unfortunately it does not seem to be
    > intended for use as the main initial content - using the above
    > mentioned facility I need to also select the existing text in
    > the default reply-with full-quote, delete it, being careful to
    > leave the attributions intact, then paste.

    It is a flaw with the current newsreader that has not been fixed.
    There is a bug file on it; I don't have the reference to hand.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

    Love means never having to say "Put down that chainsaw"

  6. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    ac wrote:

    > ac wrote:
    >> Chris Ilias wrote:
    >>> _ac_ spoke thusly on 17/01/2006 2:07 AM:

    >>> Not automatically. What you /can/ do is select the text, and copy it.
    >>> Click on "Reply" then go to 'Edit -> Paste as Quotation.'

    >> Thanks Chris, I'll try that.

    > mmm. Almost there. Unfortunately it does not seem to be intended for
    > use as the main initial content - using the above mentioned facility I
    > need to also select the existing text in the default reply-with
    > full-quote, delete it, being careful to leave the attributions intact,
    > then paste.

    How about Account Settings/Composition and Addressing/Automatically quote...

    Then you only need to delete what you don't want. Nuisance that you have to
    set it for each server, though...

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    Why can't we all just get along and do things my way?

  7. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    You may also want to take a look at http://quickquote.mozdev.org/

    --
    Holger

  8. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    Holger Metzger wrote:
    > ac wrote:
    >> I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    >> one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    >> to enable context to be seen.
    >>
    >> However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    >> situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    >> the original content.
    >>
    >> How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    >> is offered to me in the reply?

    > You may also want to take a look at http://quickquote.mozdev.org/

    Thanks I will look
    --
    ac

  9. Re: selected content only for 'reply'

    On 17.01.2006 21:48 UK Time, Holger Metzger wrote:
    > ac wrote:
    >> I know that in some groups which handle a lot of detail (such as this
    >> one), it is requested that the previous content is included complete,
    >> to enable context to be seen.
    >>
    >> However, when I reply to a mail or news item in a number of other
    >> situations, I frequently want to show only certain text, not all of
    >> the original content.
    >>
    >> How can I arrange that *only* the text I have selected in the original
    >> is offered to me in the reply?

    > You may also want to take a look at http://quickquote.mozdev.org/

    Hi Holger,

    good to see you here :-)

    And thanks for pointing out QuickQuote, which looks well worth exploring!

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread