This is a discussion on Searching for a message text - Mozilla ; I have never been able to search for a certain text in a mail using Entire message/Find in message. Always zero results when pressing enter. I am using my own IMAP server and I am wondering if there any settings ...

  1. Searching for a message text

    I have never been able to search for a certain text in a mail using
    Entire message/Find in message. Always zero results when pressing enter.

    I am using my own IMAP server and I am wondering if there any settings
    there or in Thunderbird which may prevent me from searching. Any ideas?
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Searching for a message text

    On 2006-01-16 14:27, Henrik Erlandsson wrote:
    > I have never been able to search for a certain text in a mail using
    > Entire message/Find in message. Always zero results when pressing enter.
    >
    > I am using my own IMAP server and I am wondering if there any settings
    > there or in Thunderbird which may prevent me from searching. Any ideas?
    > Thanks.

    From your description it seems you're using the Quick Search Bar. Have
    you tried it from Edit > Find > Search Messages... (or right clicking on
    a folder and selecting Search Messages)? The latter works for me.

    FWIW: It works for me with Entire Message. Not with Find In Message
    though. It doesn't even start searching then. With Entire Message
    selected, as soon as I've typed and pause, the progress bar shows to the
    right in the status bar and then the matches show in the thread pane.

    I don't recall setting anything in particular, neither in TB nor in the
    server, to make it work.

    My server is Courier-IMAP.

    --
    Kjell

  3. Re: Searching for a message text

    Kjell B. wrote:
    > On 2006-01-16 14:27, Henrik Erlandsson wrote:
    >> I have never been able to search for a certain text in a mail using
    >> Entire message/Find in message. Always zero results when pressing enter.
    >>
    >> I am using my own IMAP server and I am wondering if there any settings
    >> there or in Thunderbird which may prevent me from searching. Any ideas?
    >> Thanks.

    > From your description it seems you're using the Quick Search Bar. Have
    > you tried it from Edit > Find > Search Messages... (or right clicking on
    > a folder and selecting Search Messages)? The latter works for me.
    >
    > FWIW: It works for me with Entire Message. Not with Find In Message
    > though. It doesn't even start searching then. With Entire Message
    > selected, as soon as I've typed and pause, the progress bar shows to the
    > right in the status bar and then the matches show in the thread pane.
    >
    > I don't recall setting anything in particular, neither in TB nor in the
    > server, to make it work.
    >
    > My server is Courier-IMAP.

    Yes, I use the quickbar, the problem with edit->find->search messages is
    that it does not search the body, which I am looking for.

    There must be something else, not depending on my server. For example,
    when selecting "Entire message" in the quick bar and write "Kjell" and
    stops it just leaves me with a blank page and no messages found. Can you
    write Kjell and find anything?

    Do I have to download the message in any way before I can do the "Entire
    search"?

    thanks

  4. Re: Searching for a message text

    On 2006-01-17 09:13, Henrik Erlandsson wrote:
    > Kjell B. wrote:
    >> On 2006-01-16 14:27, Henrik Erlandsson wrote:
    >>> I have never been able to search for a certain text in a mail using
    >>> Entire message/Find in message. Always zero results when pressing enter.
    >>>
    >>> I am using my own IMAP server and I am wondering if there any settings
    >>> there or in Thunderbird which may prevent me from searching. Any ideas?
    >>> Thanks.

    >> From your description it seems you're using the Quick Search Bar. Have
    >> you tried it from Edit > Find > Search Messages... (or right clicking on
    >> a folder and selecting Search Messages)? The latter works for me.
    >>
    >> FWIW: It works for me with Entire Message. Not with Find In Message
    >> though. It doesn't even start searching then. With Entire Message
    >> selected, as soon as I've typed and pause, the progress bar shows to the
    >> right in the status bar and then the matches show in the thread pane.
    >>
    >> I don't recall setting anything in particular, neither in TB nor in the
    >> server, to make it work.
    >>
    >> My server is Courier-IMAP.
    >>

    > Yes, I use the quickbar, the problem with edit->find->search messages is
    > that it does not search the body, which I am looking for.
    >
    > There must be something else, not depending on my server. For example,
    > when selecting "Entire message" in the quick bar and write "Kjell" and
    > stops it just leaves me with a blank page and no messages found. Can you
    > write Kjell and find anything?
    >
    > Do I have to download the message in any way before I can do the "Entire
    > search"?
    >
    > thanks

    I thought you were talking about searching on your IMAP server. Now it
    seems you're trying to search this newsgroup. For newsgroup messages, it
    is not possible to search for message contents unless the server
    supports XPAT searches (I believe it is). This particular server does
    not support such. If you download newsgroup messages, you can search
    message contents while being offline.

    If it is your IMAP server you're trying to search, then I guess it
    depends on what the server supports. Mine apparently does.

    --
    Kjell

+ Reply to Thread