Theme Upgrades - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Theme Upgrades - Mozilla ; For anyone who may be interested, I was able to get both the 'Noia 2.0-1.34-Tb.jar' and 'gnometb.jar' themes to install in T-bird 1.5 without any problems (so far) by doing the following: 1. Rename theme file from .jar to .zip ...

  1. Theme Upgrades

    For anyone who may be interested, I was able to get both the 'Noia
    2.0-1.34-Tb.jar' and 'gnometb.jar' themes to install in T-bird 1.5 without
    any problems (so far) by doing the following:

    1. Rename theme file from .jar to .zip
    2. Extract "install.rdf" and edit it so that "...MaxVersion>1.0+..." is
    changed to "...MaxVersion>1.5+..."
    3. Save and reinsert "install.rdf"
    4. Rename .zip back to .jar
    5. Install theme

    I'd expect most other themes that worked in 1.06-1.07 would also be
    upgradable like this. The two themes I mentioned were themselves originally
    upgraded so that they would work in 1.06, so this is my second upgrade for
    each. There may be some hidden stability problems but they haven't surfaced
    yet.

    Thanks Lee for showing how to do this back in the T-bird 0.7 era (which
    according to install.rdf is how far back these themes actually go, at least
    in terms of compatibility).

  2. Re: Theme Upgrades

    On 1/16/2006 2:11 AM, Roger Fink wrote:
    > For anyone who may be interested, I was able to get both the 'Noia
    > 2.0-1.34-Tb.jar' and 'gnometb.jar' themes to install in T-bird 1.5 without
    > any problems (so far) by doing the following:
    >
    > 1. Rename theme file from .jar to .zip
    > 2. Extract "install.rdf" and edit it so that "...MaxVersion>1.0+..." is
    > changed to "...MaxVersion>1.5+..."
    > 3. Save and reinsert "install.rdf"
    > 4. Rename .zip back to .jar
    > 5. Install theme
    >
    > I'd expect most other themes that worked in 1.06-1.07 would also be
    > upgradable like this. The two themes I mentioned were themselves originally
    > upgraded so that they would work in 1.06, so this is my second upgrade for
    > each. There may be some hidden stability problems but they haven't surfaced
    > yet.
    >
    > Thanks Lee for showing how to do this back in the T-bird 0.7 era (which
    > according to install.rdf is how far back these themes actually go, at least
    > in terms of compatibility).

    Where would one find this file to download it?

    --
    Paige Miller
    pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

  3. Re: Theme Upgrades

    Paige Miller wrote:
    > On 1/16/2006 2:11 AM, Roger Fink wrote:

    /snip/

    > Where would one find this file to download it?

    install.rdf? Its inside the .jar file of theme in a jar install theme,
    or the .xpi for a xpi install theme. Open the archive with a zip
    extractor, make your changes, then rezip.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  4. Re: Theme Upgrades

    Paige Miller wrote:
    > On 1/16/2006 2:11 AM, Roger Fink wrote:
    >> For anyone who may be interested, I was able to get both the 'Noia
    >> 2.0-1.34-Tb.jar' and 'gnometb.jar' themes to install in T-bird 1.5
    >> without any problems (so far) by doing the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Rename theme file from .jar to .zip
    >> 2. Extract "install.rdf" and edit it so that "...MaxVersion>1.0+..."
    >> is changed to "...MaxVersion>1.5+..."
    >> 3. Save and reinsert "install.rdf"
    >> 4. Rename .zip back to .jar
    >> 5. Install theme
    >>
    >> I'd expect most other themes that worked in 1.06-1.07 would also be
    >> upgradable like this. The two themes I mentioned were themselves
    >> originally upgraded so that they would work in 1.06, so this is my
    >> second upgrade for each. There may be some hidden stability problems
    >> but they haven't surfaced yet.
    >>
    >> Thanks Lee for showing how to do this back in the T-bird 0.7 era
    >> (which according to install.rdf is how far back these themes
    >> actually go, at least in terms of compatibility).

    > Where would one find this file to download it?

    Just to add a little caveat, and a dose of reality, to the proceedings,
    within the last hour or so I have discovered a stability issue for the two
    themes I mentioned. Opening "Options" from the tools menu will freeze the
    program in Win98, at least that's what happened to me. So for starters, if
    you're prepared to live with things like that, it would seem that
    adjustments to the program settings should be done using the default theme
    or one that's been brought up to date by the author.

  5. Re: Theme Upgrades

    On 1/16/2006 1:36 PM, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Paige Miller wrote:
    >> On 1/16/2006 2:11 AM, Roger Fink wrote:

    > /snip/

    You have snipped out the relevant information.

    >> Where would one find this file to download it?
    >>

    > install.rdf? <...snip...>

    No, the post was about Noia 2.0-1.34-Tb.jar.

    That's what I would like to download, but I can't find it anywhere.

    --
    Paige Miller
    pmiller5@rochester.rr.com

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

  6. Re: Theme Upgrades

    Paige Miller wrote:
    > On 1/16/2006 1:36 PM, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Paige Miller wrote:
    >>> On 1/16/2006 2:11 AM, Roger Fink wrote:

    >> /snip/

    > You have snipped out the relevant information.
    >
    >>> Where would one find this file to download it?
    >>>

    >> install.rdf? <...snip...>

    > No, the post was about Noia 2.0-1.34-Tb.jar.
    >
    > That's what I would like to download, but I can't find it anywhere.

    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5316474/
    (the css mods on the page are very nice too)

+ Reply to Thread