TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry - Mozilla ; When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a + sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB 1.0.7 ...

  1. TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB 1.0.7
    a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one responses to
    read. I much prefer the former way TB worked. When a + appears next to a
    collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is more than one
    response to view in the thread.

  2. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    Edward Diener wrote:
    > When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    > only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    > sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB 1.0.7
    > a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one responses to
    > read. I much prefer the former way TB worked. When a + appears next to a
    > collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is more than one
    > response to view in the thread.

    Hi Ed.
    My TB 1.5 works as you desire. If only one response in the newsgroup
    thread, that is the top thread, there is NO + sign next to the thread.
    I am not sure what is the issue right now, or how to correct it, but it
    is probably some tweaking or adjusting of the preferences.
    Yours,
    Peter in MN 30 F, cloudy here

  3. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    Peter In MN(Brrrr) wrote:
    > Edward Diener wrote:
    >> When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    >> only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    >> sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB
    >> 1.0.7 a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one
    >> appears next to a collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is
    >> more than one response to view in the thread.

    > Hi Ed.
    > My TB 1.5 works as you desire. If only one response in the newsgroup
    > thread, that is the top thread, there is NO + sign next to the thread. I
    > am not sure what is the issue right now, or how to correct it, but it is
    > probably some tweaking or adjusting of the preferences.

    It is possible that something got fouled up when I went from TB 1.0.7 to
    TB 1.5, especially as I was sharing the news folders in a FAT32
    partition between versions of Windows and I forgot to update one version
    of TB to 1.5 while I had updated the other.

    Is there a quick way to reset a newsgroup's data under TB without
    unsubscribing from an NG, removing the .rc and .msf files for that NG,
    then resubscribing to that NG ? If not I will manually reset all NGs,
    given the previous technique, and see if that does not solve the problem.

  4. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    _Peter In MN(Brrrr)_ spoke thusly on 16/01/2006 9:05 AM:
    > Edward Diener wrote:
    >> When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    >> only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    >> sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB
    >> 1.0.7 a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one
    >> appears next to a collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is
    >> more than one response to view in the thread.

    > Hi Ed.
    > My TB 1.5 works as you desire. If only one response in the newsgroup
    > thread, that is the top thread, there is NO + sign next to the thread. I
    > am not sure what is the issue right now, or how to correct it, but it is
    > probably some tweaking or adjusting of the preferences.
    > Yours,
    > Peter in MN 30 F, cloudy here

    I get the same behaviour as Edward. What he's saying that threads that
    *do* have more than one message, but only one unread, still show the
    twisty (+), when View -> Messages is set to "Unread".
    --
    Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
    Mozilla Help

  5. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    Chris Ilias wrote:
    > _Peter In MN(Brrrr)_ spoke thusly on 16/01/2006 9:05 AM:
    >> Edward Diener wrote:
    >>> When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed
    >>> and only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5
    >>> displays a + sign next to the thread when only a single response
    >>> exists. In TB 1.0.7 a + sign was displayed only if there were more
    >>> than one responses to read. I much prefer the former way TB worked.
    >>> When a + appears next to a collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that
    >>> there is more than one response to view in the thread.

    >> Hi Ed.
    >> My TB 1.5 works as you desire. If only one response in the newsgroup
    >> thread, that is the top thread, there is NO + sign next to the thread.
    >> I am not sure what is the issue right now, or how to correct it, but
    >> it is probably some tweaking or adjusting of the preferences.
    >> Yours,
    >> Peter in MN 30 F, cloudy here

    > I get the same behaviour as Edward. What he's saying that threads that
    > *do* have more than one message, but only one unread, still show the
    > twisty (+), when View -> Messages is set to "Unread".

    I have View Threads set to Unread, View Messages set to All, and View
    Sort By set to Threaded, and I see what you describe and which I OPed. I
    feel that the + sign should only be there when there is more than one
    unread message in a thread in a Threaded view no matter how else one
    sets other View choices.

    In 1.0.7 TB worked that way but 1.5 seems to have regressed in behavior.

  6. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    Peter In MN(Brrrr) wrote:
    > Edward Diener wrote:
    >> When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    >> only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    >> sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB
    >> 1.0.7 a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one
    >> appears next to a collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is
    >> more than one response to view in the thread.

    > Hi Ed.
    > My TB 1.5 works as you desire. If only one response in the newsgroup
    > thread, that is the top thread, there is NO + sign next to the thread. I
    > am not sure what is the issue right now, or how to correct it, but it is
    > probably some tweaking or adjusting of the preferences.
    > Yours,
    > Peter in MN 30 F, cloudy here

    I guess i have to correct myself. When set to View>Threads>Collapse
    All, all threads collapse appropriately as they should, but the problem
    arises that when the Newsgroup account is reconnected to download new
    newsgroup threads, then some threads will expand. Why does this happen?
    Is there any way to have it stop? Is it that way on purpose? Why am
    I here?

  7. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    Peter In MN(Brrrr) wrote:

    > [SNIP] Why am
    > I here?

    Probably because your mother and father had something to do with it.
    ;-) Or incase of test tube baby, your mother and sperm donator.

  8. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    On 01/16/06 13:02, Edward Diener wrote:
    > Is there a quick way to reset a newsgroup's data under TB without
    > unsubscribing from an NG, removing the .rc and .msf files for that NG,
    > then resubscribing to that NG ? If not I will manually reset all NGs,
    > given the previous technique, and see if that does not solve the problem.

    You can just delete the .msf file and no-extension file if it's there
    without unsubscribing.
    --
    Yay!

  9. Re: TB 1.5 showing + with a single thread entry

    On 01/15/06 11:05, Edward Diener wrote:
    > When viewing an NG in threaded mode, where the thread is collapsed and
    > only unread responses of unread threads are shown, TB 1.5 displays a +
    > sign next to the thread when only a single response exists. In TB 1.0.7
    > a + sign was displayed only if there were more than one responses to
    > read. I much prefer the former way TB worked. When a + appears next to a
    > collapsed thread it should, IMO, mean that there is more than one
    > response to view in the thread.

    I can confirm the behavior. It's apparently a bug. Since it is fairly
    trivial, I haven't bothered to search Bugzilla for it.
    --
    Yay!

+ Reply to Thread