TB1.5 Browser Association... - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB1.5 Browser Association... - Mozilla ; How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is launched in IE. How do I use another browser? Thank you....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. TB1.5 Browser Association...

    How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in emails or
    newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is launched in IE.

    How do I use another browser?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    USA wrote:
    > How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in
    > emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is
    > launched in IE.
    >
    > How do I use another browser?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Thunderbird is a standalone application. It will launch your system
    default browser. Obviously your system thinks IE is default. Fist step
    is to check In FF, to see if it is system default:

    Tools>>Options>>General

    Click the Button.

    If it still doesn't work. Set IE as default browser, then open FF and
    set it as default browser.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click
    >> in emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE
    >> THEMES is launched in IE.
    >>
    >> How do I use another browser?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Thunderbird is a standalone application. It will launch your system
    > default browser. Obviously your system thinks IE is default. Fist
    > step is to check In FF, to see if it is system default:
    >
    > Tools>>Options>>General
    >
    > Click the Button.
    >
    > If it still doesn't work. Set IE as default browser, then open FF
    > and set it as default browser.
    >
    > Lee

    If you are using xp....

    In control panel, go to add/remove and click on "set program access
    and defaults."

    Open the custom drop-down and select the browser and email client you
    want. This should control both the browser and email client.

    burris

  4. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in
    >> emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is
    >> launched in IE.
    >>
    >> How do I use another browser?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Thunderbird is a standalone application. It will launch your system
    > default browser. Obviously your system thinks IE is default. Fist step
    > is to check In FF, to see if it is system default:
    >
    > Tools>>Options>>General
    >
    > Click the Button.
    >
    > If it still doesn't work. Set IE as default browser, then open FF and
    > set it as default browser.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks, that did it.

  5. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    burris wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> USA wrote:
    >>> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click
    >>> in emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE
    >>> THEMES is launched in IE.
    >>>
    >>> How do I use another browser?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> Thunderbird is a standalone application. It will launch your system
    >> default browser. Obviously your system thinks IE is default. Fist
    >> step is to check In FF, to see if it is system default:
    >>
    >> Tools>>Options>>General
    >>
    >> Click the Button.
    >>
    >> If it still doesn't work. Set IE as default browser, then open FF
    >> and set it as default browser.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > If you are using xp....
    >

    > In control panel, go to add/remove and click on "set program access
    > and defaults."
    >
    > Open the custom drop-down and select the browser and email client you
    > want. This should control both the browser and email client.
    >
    > burris

    That is great. Thank you.

  6. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    USA wrote:

    > How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in emails or
    > newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is launched in IE.
    >
    > How do I use another browser?
    >
    > Thank you.

    That's another reason I went back to 1.0.6/linux -- clicking a link brought up
    no browser at all, while 1.0.6 brought up firefox without my asking. Is
    there a hidden preference I can't find?

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

  7. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >
    >> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in
    >> emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is
    >> launched in IE.
    >>
    >> How do I use another browser?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > That's another reason I went back to 1.0.6/linux -- clicking a link
    > brought up no browser at all, while 1.0.6 brought up firefox without my
    > asking. Is there a hidden preference I can't find?

    I wish I could help you more with Linux, but on Mac OSX and WinXP, TB
    1.5 brings up the default browser, FF here.

    What is your distro, maybe someone can help with the default setting?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  8. Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >
    >> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in
    >> emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is
    >> launched in IE.
    >>
    >> How do I use another browser?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > That's another reason I went back to 1.0.6/linux -- clicking a link
    > brought up no browser at all, while 1.0.6 brought up firefox without my
    > asking. Is there a hidden preference I can't find?

    Sorry to hear that. Please refer to replies from Burris & LJ. I fixed it. It was
    very simple.

  9. (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    USA wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> USA wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I disassociate TB1.5 from IE6? Right now every link I click in
    >>> emails or newsgroup postings launches in IE6. Even GET MORE THEMES is
    >>> launched in IE.
    >>>
    >>> How do I use another browser?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you.

    >> That's another reason I went back to 1.0.6/linux -- clicking a link
    >> brought up no browser at all, while 1.0.6 brought up firefox without my
    >> asking. Is there a hidden preference I can't find?

    > Sorry to hear that. Please refer to replies from Burris & LJ. I fixed it. It was
    > very simple.

    I found a Firefox preference to make IT the default browser. Don't know if it
    actually works or not...

    Feh, it doesn't. Moreover, it won't accept it to open html files in the TB
    'helpers' selection screen.

    Can we adopt the convention of putting a non-windows OS name in the subject
    line, as I did above?

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    If you're ever about to be mugged by a couple

  10. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    On 15.01.2006 00:46, The Real Bev wrote:

    > Can we adopt the convention of putting a non-windows OS name in the subject
    > line, as I did above?

    When we first brought up the secnews server and separate groups by OS,
    this worked very very well ...

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  11. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > USA wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> USA wrote:

    /snip/

    > I found a Firefox preference to make IT the default browser. Don't know
    > if it actually works or not...
    >
    > Feh, it doesn't. Moreover, it won't accept it to open html files in the
    > TB 'helpers' selection screen.
    >
    > Can we adopt the convention of putting a non-windows OS name in the
    > subject line, as I did above?

    I don't know, FF comes preset as default in Ubuntu.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  12. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> I found a Firefox preference to make IT the default browser. Don't know
    >> if it actually works or not...
    >>
    >> Feh, it doesn't. Moreover, it won't accept it to open html files in the
    >> TB 'helpers' selection screen.
    >>
    >> Can we adopt the convention of putting a non-windows OS name in the
    >> subject line, as I did above?

    > I don't know, FF comes preset as default in Ubuntu.

    Slackware generally comes with older stuff, and I don't think 10.2 offered ANY
    version of FF. I use slack because that's what my live-in consultant uses.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  13. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I found a Firefox preference to make IT the default browser. Don't know
    >>> if it actually works or not...
    >>>
    >>> Feh, it doesn't. Moreover, it won't accept it to open html files in the
    >>> TB 'helpers' selection screen.
    >>>
    >>> Can we adopt the convention of putting a non-windows OS name in the
    >>> subject line, as I did above?

    >> I don't know, FF comes preset as default in Ubuntu.

    > Slackware generally comes with older stuff, and I don't think 10.2 offered ANY
    > version of FF. I use slack because that's what my live-in consultant uses.

    Mozilla-firefox 1.5 is in slackware/current.

    Rinaldi
    --
    Now and then an innocent person is sent to the legislature.

  14. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> I don't know, FF comes preset as default in Ubuntu.

    >> Slackware generally comes with older stuff, and I don't think 10.2 offered ANY
    >> version of FF. I use slack because that's what my live-in consultant uses.

    > Mozilla-firefox 1.5 is in slackware/current.

    FF 1.5 official is out now?

    I think I went from 10.0 to 10.2 last October. I HATE doing those upgrades
    because there's always some nasty little detail that breaks... Would that my
    live-in consultant regarded X as something other than an abomination before
    whatever god happens to be on duty that day.

    I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that my nicely-configured FF 1.0.6 won't
    allow pop-up images even when I TELL it to allow them from specific sites or
    tell it to allow them from ALL sites. I also discovered that months ago I
    stupidly copied a version of user.Chrome.css to user.Content.css; apparently
    it doesn't matter that much with FF, but I'm really picky about TB.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  15. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Slackware generally comes with older stuff, and I don't think 10.2 offered ANY
    >>> version of FF. I use slack because that's what my live-in consultant uses.

    >> Mozilla-firefox 1.5 is in slackware/current.

    > FF 1.5 official is out now?

    I check the changelog every few days.

    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt

    I see there's a new Xorg available. Along with a bunch of KDE garbage.
    Oh well, at least Pat dropped Gnome. There's hope ;-)

    Upgrading only bites me when I forget to remove a package that I've
    rebuilt from source without removing the original package. Which means
    it's my fault when that happens. I do that a lot...

    > I think I went from 10.0 to 10.2 last October. I HATE doing those upgrades
    > because there's always some nasty little detail that breaks... Would that my
    > live-in consultant regarded X as something other than an abomination before
    > whatever god happens to be on duty that day.

    I think today it's Morpheus.

    Remind hubby that even Linus uses X. On a (yuck) Red Hat box.

    > I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that my nicely-configured FF 1.0.6 won't
    > allow pop-up images even when I TELL it to allow them from specific sites or
    > tell it to allow them from ALL sites. I also discovered that months ago I
    > stupidly copied a version of user.Chrome.css to user.Content.css; apparently
    > it doesn't matter that much with FF, but I'm really picky about TB.

    Are you also using something like privoxy? It also blocks all sorts of
    stuff.

    Rinaldi
    --
    "Sometimes I simply feel that the whole world is a cigarette and I'm
    the only ashtray."

  16. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    >>> Mozilla-firefox 1.5 is in slackware/current.

    >> FF 1.5 official is out now?

    > I check the changelog every few days.
    >
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    >
    > I see251re's a new Xorg available. Along with a bunch of KDE garbage.
    > Oh well, at least Pat dropped Gnome. There's hope ;-)

    There are a number of g-applications that I like a lot more than the
    equivalent k-applications, although I run neither.

    > Upgrading only bites me when I forget to remove a package that I've
    > rebuilt from source without removing the original package. Which means
    > it's my fault when that happens. I do that a lot...

    It really bothers me that if there's no new package, the old one gets deleted.
    You'd think that would be MY choice, not his.

    >> I think I went from 10.0 to 10.2 last October. I HATE doing those upgrades
    >> because there's always some nasty little detail that breaks... Would that my
    >> live-in consultant regarded X as something other than an abomination before
    >> whatever god happens to be on duty that day.

    > I think today it's Morpheus.
    >
    > Remind hubby that even Linus uses X. On a (yuck) Red Hat box.

    Won't help. It's an emotional thing. He worries about SVGAlib, too. After
    forays into redhat and gentoo, son uses fvwm on slack.

    >> I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that my nicely-configured FF 1.0.6 won't
    >> allow pop-up images even when I TELL it to allow them from specific sites or
    >> tell it to allow them from ALL sites. I also discovered that months ago I
    >> stupidly copied a version of user.Chrome.css to user.Content.css; apparently
    >> it doesn't matter that much with FF, but I'm really picky about TB.

    > Are you also using something like privoxy? It also blocks all sorts of
    > stuff.

    Yeah, thanks to you. Thanks, guy!

    I found out what kept the popups I wanted from popping up: in prefs.js,
    browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction should be set to 2 (the default) and
    browser.link.open_newwindow should be set to 3 (the default).

    What's odd that in the near-virgin profile I created, both those defaults are
    different. I find this mystifying -- when is a default not a default? (I
    mentioned this in the FF group, no comments yet.)

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    Never try to extort more than it would cost to have you killed.

  17. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> FF 1.5 official is out now?

    >> I check the changelog every few days.
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackwar.../ChangeLog.txt
    >>
    >> I see251

    > re's a new Xorg available. Along with a bunch of KDE garbage.
    >> Oh well, at least Pat dropped Gnome. There's hope ;-)

    > There are a number of g-applications that I like a lot more than the
    > equivalent k-applications, although I run neither.
    >
    >> Upgrading only bites me when I forget to remove a package that I've
    >> rebuilt from source without removing the original package. Which means
    >> it's my fault when that happens. I do that a lot...

    > It really bothers me that if there's no new package, the old one gets deleted.
    > You'd think that would be MY choice, not his.
    >
    >>> I think I went from 10.0 to 10.2 last October. I HATE doing those upgrades
    >>> because there's always some nasty little detail that breaks... Would that my
    >>> live-in consultant regarded X as something other than an abomination before
    >>> whatever god happens to be on duty that day.

    >> I think today it's Morpheus.
    >>
    >> Remind hubby that even Linus uses X. On a (yuck) Red Hat box.

    > Won't help. It's an emotional thing. He worries about SVGAlib, too. After
    > forays into redhat and gentoo, son uses fvwm on slack.

    I borked my SVGA config one time. I feel his pain.

    >>> I'm becoming increasingly annoyed that my nicely-configured FF 1.0.6 won't
    >>> allow pop-up images even when I TELL it to allow them from specific sites or
    >>> tell it to allow them from ALL sites. I also discovered that months ago I
    >>> stupidly copied a version of user.Chrome.css to user.Content.css; apparently
    >>> it doesn't matter that much with FF, but I'm really picky about TB.

    >> Are you also using something like privoxy? It also blocks all sorts of
    >> stuff.

    > Yeah, thanks to you. Thanks, guy!

    You're welcome.

    > I found out what kept the popups I wanted from popping up: in prefs.js,
    > browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction should be set to 2 (the default) and
    > browser.link.open_newwindow should be set to 3 (the default).
    >
    > What's odd that in the near-virgin profile I created, both those defaults are
    > different. I find this mystifying -- when is a default not a default? (I
    > mentioned this in the FF group, no comments yet.)

    Keeping the plebiscite on it's toes.

    Rinaldi
    --
    A successful [software] tool is one that was used to do something
    undreamed of by its author.

  18. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >>> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Remind hubby that even Linus uses X. On a (yuck) Red Hat box.

    >> Won't help. It's an emotional thing. He worries about SVGAlib, too. After
    >> forays into redhat and gentoo, son uses fvwm on slack.

    > I borked my SVGA config one time. I feel his pain.

    Apparently it's no longer being developed, and many graphics cards don't
    recognize it any more. I would think that having a full-screen xterm would be
    a close approximation, but apparently not...

    >> I found out what kept the popups I wanted from popping up: in prefs.js,
    >> browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction should be set to 2 (the default) and
    >> browser.link.open_newwindow should be set to 3 (the default).
    >>
    >> What's odd that in the near-virgin profile I created, both those defaults are
    >> different. I find this mystifying -- when is a default not a default? (I
    >> mentioned this in the FF group, no comments yet.)

    > Keeping the plebiscite on it's toes.

    It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

    I'm trying a new address. After a while I'm not even going to look at my
    myrealbox stuff, just delete it out of hand. gmail accepts the +moz name, but
    myrealbox doesn't.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    "What fresh hell is this?" -- Dorothy Parker

  19. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Won't help. It's an emotional thing. He worries about SVGAlib, too. After
    >>> forays into redhat and gentoo, son uses fvwm on slack.

    >> I borked my SVGA config one time. I feel his pain.

    > Apparently it's no longer being developed, and many graphics cards don't
    > recognize it any more. I would think that having a full-screen xterm would be
    > a close approximation, but apparently not...
    >
    >>> I found out what kept the popups I wanted from popping up: in prefs.js,
    >>> browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction should be set to 2 (the default) and
    >>> browser.link.open_newwindow should be set to 3 (the default).
    >>>
    >>> What's odd that in the near-virgin profile I created, both those defaults are
    >>> different. I find this mystifying -- when is a default not a default? (I
    >>> mentioned this in the FF group, no comments yet.)

    >> Keeping the plebiscite on it's toes.

    > It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.
    >
    > I'm trying a new address. After a while I'm not even going to look at my
    > myrealbox stuff, just delete it out of hand. gmail accepts the +moz name, but
    > myrealbox doesn't.

    Eh? I have both gmail and myrealbox accounts. Oh. I use fetchmail so
    it's not an issue. Back to sleep.

    [OT] You using Firefox? Got a pref for open with last page visited?
    Must be hidden as it's not in the menu. I'm being lazy. Probably
    something like general.open_location.last_url if that works.

    Rinaldi
    --
    God doesn't play dice.
    -- Albert Einstein

  20. Re: (LINUX) Re: TB1.5 Browser Association...

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    /snip/

    > [OT] You using Firefox? Got a pref for open with last page visited?
    > Must be hidden as it's not in the menu. I'm being lazy. Probably
    > something like general.open_location.last_url if that works.
    >
    > Rinaldi

    Tab Mix Plus will do it.

    lee