Order in which address book entries are displayed - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Order in which address book entries are displayed - Mozilla ; The order in which address book entries are displayed appear to have changed in 1.5., promptly causing me to send a message to the wrong recipient yesterday :-( Is there a good reason for this change? -- Herbert Eppel www.HETranslation.co.uk...

  1. Order in which address book entries are displayed

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 13.01.2006 15:52 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > The order in which address book entries are displayed appear to have
    > changed in 1.5., promptly causing me to send a message to the wrong
    > recipient yesterday :-(
    >
    > Is there a good reason for this change?

    Clarification: I'm referring to the order in which address book entries
    are displayed in the Compose window after the first character has been
    typed in the "To" field.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 15:52 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >> The order in which address book entries are displayed appear to have
    >> changed in 1.5., promptly causing me to send a message to the wrong
    >> recipient yesterday :-(
    >>
    >> Is there a good reason for this change?
    >>

    > Clarification: I'm referring to the order in which address book entries
    > are displayed in the Compose window after the first character has been
    > typed in the "To" field.

    I believe that I read in the Release Notes for TB 1.5 that the entries
    that you are talking about will be arranged in order of frequency of use.

    Virginia

  4. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 13.01.2006 18:11 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 13.01.2006 15:52 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >>> The order in which address book entries are displayed appear to have
    >>> changed in 1.5., promptly causing me to send a message to the wrong
    >>> recipient yesterday :-(
    >>>
    >>> Is there a good reason for this change?
    >>>

    >> Clarification: I'm referring to the order in which address book
    >> entries are displayed in the Compose window after the first character
    >> has been typed in the "To" field.

    > I believe that I read in the Release Notes for TB 1.5 that the entries
    > that you are talking about will be arranged in order of frequency of use.
    >
    > Virginia

    Hi Virginia,

    thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing.

    If you start typing an address in the To field of the Compose window TB
    will display a list of entries starting with that letter.

    I have a feeling the order in which the entries appear used to be based
    on the "Display" name, whereas now it appears to be based on the actual
    e-mail address. Perhaps this is a user-settable parameter?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  5. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 18:11 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Clarification: I'm referring to the order in which address book
    >>> entries are displayed in the Compose window after the first
    >>> character has been typed in the "To" field.

    >> I believe that I read in the Release Notes for TB 1.5 that the
    >> entries that you are talking about will be arranged in order of
    >> frequency of use.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Hi Virginia,
    >
    > thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same
    > thing.
    >
    > If you start typing an address in the To field of the Compose window
    > TB will display a list of entries starting with that letter.
    >
    > I have a feeling the order in which the entries appear used to be
    > based on the "Display" name, whereas now it appears to be based on
    > the actual e-mail address. Perhaps this is a user-settable parameter?

    I think we are talking about the same thing. Here's what it says in the
    release notes: Sort address autocomplete results by how often you send
    e-mail to each recipient.

    My interpretation is that when you start typing the address and the
    autocomplete kicks in, the email address most often chosen by the writer
    in the past, is the one that appears first in the list. However, I don't
    know how that works if you type in a nickname instead of an actual email
    address.

    Virginia

  6. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 13.01.2006 20:28 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I believe that I read in the Release Notes for TB 1.5 that the
    >>> entries that you are talking about will be arranged in order of
    >>> frequency of use.
    >>>
    >>> Virginia

    >> Hi Virginia,
    >>
    >> thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same
    >> thing.
    >>
    >> If you start typing an address in the To field of the Compose window
    >> TB will display a list of entries starting with that letter.
    >>
    >> I have a feeling the order in which the entries appear used to be
    >> based on the "Display" name, whereas now it appears to be based on the
    >> actual e-mail address. Perhaps this is a user-settable parameter?
    >>

    > I think we are talking about the same thing. Here's what it says in the
    > release notes: Sort address autocomplete results by how often you send
    > e-mail to each recipient.
    >
    > My interpretation is that when you start typing the address and the
    > autocomplete kicks in, the email address most often chosen by the writer
    > in the past, is the one that appears first in the list. However, I don't
    > know how that works if you type in a nickname instead of an actual email
    > address.
    >
    > Virginia

    Thanks. Is this documented in more detail somewhere?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  7. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 20:28 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Hi Virginia,
    >>>
    >>> thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same
    >>> thing.
    >>>
    >>> If you start typing an address in the To field of the Compose window
    >>> TB will display a list of entries starting with that letter.
    >>>
    >>> I have a feeling the order in which the entries appear used to be
    >>> based on the "Display" name, whereas now it appears to be based on
    >>> the actual e-mail address. Perhaps this is a user-settable parameter?
    >>>

    >> I think we are talking about the same thing. Here's what it says in the
    >> release notes: Sort address autocomplete results by how often you send
    >> e-mail to each recipient.
    >>
    >> My interpretation is that when you start typing the address and the
    >> autocomplete kicks in, the email address most often chosen by the writer
    >> in the past, is the one that appears first in the list. However, I don't
    >> know how that works if you type in a nickname instead of an actual email
    >> address.
    >>
    >> Virginia
    >>

    > Thanks. Is this documented in more detail somewhere?

    Here's something that I found at:
    http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...d=13&pagenum=2

    "I've always liked Thunderbird's address autocomplete feature, where if
    you type the first few letters of a person's name or address, it will
    present matching addresses from your address book. This is convenient as
    is, but the 1.5 release includes a feature to make it even more useful.
    Specifically, Thunderbird will sort addresses by use, so if you happen
    to know five guys named "Steve," but send mail to only one of them
    regularly, the most-used address will be the first option."

    I haven't sent enough emails yet to notice the change.

    Virginia

  8. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 15.01.2006 17:28 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I think we are talking about the same thing. Here's what it says in the
    >>> release notes: Sort address autocomplete results by how often you send
    >>> e-mail to each recipient.
    >>>
    >>> My interpretation is that when you start typing the address and the
    >>> autocomplete kicks in, the email address most often chosen by the writer
    >>> in the past, is the one that appears first in the list. However, I don't
    >>> know how that works if you type in a nickname instead of an actual email
    >>> address.
    >>>
    >>> Virginia
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Is this documented in more detail somewhere?

    > Here's something that I found at:
    > http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...d=13&pagenum=2
    >

    > "I've always liked Thunderbird's address autocomplete feature, where if
    > you type the first few letters of a person's name or address, it will
    > present matching addresses from your address book. This is convenient as
    > is, but the 1.5 release includes a feature to make it even more useful.
    > Specifically, Thunderbird will sort addresses by use, so if you happen
    > to know five guys named "Steve," but send mail to only one of them
    > regularly, the most-used address will be the first option."
    >
    > I haven't sent enough emails yet to notice the change.
    >
    > Virginia

    Thanks for spending time to look this up.

    I guess the new feature will indeed be very useful after an initial
    familiarisation period.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  9. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 15.01.2006 17:32 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 17:28 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Is this documented in more detail somewhere?

    >> Here's something that I found at:
    >> http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...d=13&pagenum=2
    >>

    >> "I've always liked Thunderbird's address autocomplete feature, where
    >> if you type the first few letters of a person's name or address, it
    >> will present matching addresses from your address book. This is
    >> convenient as is, but the 1.5 release includes a feature to make it
    >> even more useful. Specifically, Thunderbird will sort addresses by
    >> use, so if you happen to know five guys named "Steve," but send mail
    >> to only one of them regularly, the most-used address will be the first
    >> option."
    >>
    >> I haven't sent enough emails yet to notice the change.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Thanks for spending time to look this up.
    >
    > I guess the new feature will indeed be very useful after an initial
    > familiarisation period.

    I wonder how/where the information is stored - perhaps there is a new
    "address book training file" or something?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  10. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 15.01.2006 17:32 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 17:28 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks. Is this documented in more detail somewhere?

    >> Here's something that I found at:
    >> http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...d=13&pagenum=2
    >>

    >> "I've always liked Thunderbird's address autocomplete feature, where
    >> if you type the first few letters of a person's name or address, it
    >> will present matching addresses from your address book. This is
    >> convenient as is, but the 1.5 release includes a feature to make it
    >> even more useful. Specifically, Thunderbird will sort addresses by
    >> use, so if you happen to know five guys named "Steve," but send mail
    >> to only one of them regularly, the most-used address will be the first
    >> option."
    >>
    >> I haven't sent enough emails yet to notice the change.
    >>
    >> Virginia

    > Thanks for spending time to look this up.
    >
    > I guess the new feature will indeed be very useful after an initial
    > familiarisation period.

    And I just discovered that one can move up and down the list withe the
    arrow keys - I dare say this was possible all along, but I sure wasted a
    lot of time and effort selecting entries with the mouse in the past :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 17:32 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> Here's something that I found at:
    >>> http://internet.newsforge.com/articl...d=13&pagenum=2
    >>>

    >>> "I've always liked Thunderbird's address autocomplete feature, where
    >>> if you type the first few letters of a person's name or address, it
    >>> will present matching addresses from your address book. This is
    >>> convenient as is, but the 1.5 release includes a feature to make it
    >>> even more useful. Specifically, Thunderbird will sort addresses by
    >>> use, so if you happen to know five guys named "Steve," but send mail
    >>> to only one of them regularly, the most-used address will be the
    >>> first option."
    >>>
    >>> I haven't sent enough emails yet to notice the change.
    >>>
    >>> Virginia

    >> Thanks for spending time to look this up.
    >>
    >> I guess the new feature will indeed be very useful after an initial
    >> familiarisation period.
    >>

    > And I just discovered that one can move up and down the list withe the
    > arrow keys - I dare say this was possible all along, but I sure wasted a
    > lot of time and effort selecting entries with the mouse in the past :-)

    That's a good tip! Thanks.

    Virginia

  12. Re: Order in which address book entries are displayed

    On 17.01.2006 17:48 UK Time, Virginia wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanks for spending time to look this up.
    >>>
    >>> I guess the new feature will indeed be very useful after an initial
    >>> familiarisation period.
    >>>

    >> And I just discovered that one can move up and down the list withe the
    >> arrow keys - I dare say this was possible all along, but I sure wasted
    >> a lot of time and effort selecting entries with the mouse in the past :-)

    > That's a good tip! Thanks.
    >
    > Virginia

    It would be even better if one didn't have to use the down arrow twice
    to get to the next entry, if you see what I mean.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread