QuickText extension working OK in 1.5? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on QuickText extension working OK in 1.5? - Mozilla ; I would like to find out whether or not the fact that the QuickText extension is not longer working properly after upgrading to 1.5 is linked to my other problem discussed under "Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5". Does ...

  1. QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    I would like to find out whether or not the fact that the QuickText
    extension is not longer working properly after upgrading to 1.5 is
    linked to my other problem discussed under "Settings not sticking after
    upgrade to 1.5".

    Does someone here who upgraded from 1.0.7 to 1.5 use QuickText and does
    it work for you?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  2. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    Herb wrote:
    > I would like to find out whether or not the fact that the QuickText
    > extension is not longer working properly after upgrading to 1.5 is
    > linked to my other problem discussed under "Settings not sticking after
    > upgrade to 1.5".
    >
    > Does someone here who upgraded from 1.0.7 to 1.5 use QuickText and does
    > it work for you?

    Quick Text 0.9.7.2 works fine in TB 1.5.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  3. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 13.01.2006 12:43 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Herb wrote:
    >> I would like to find out whether or not the fact that the QuickText
    >> extension is not longer working properly after upgrading to 1.5 is
    >> linked to my other problem discussed under "Settings not sticking
    >> after upgrade to 1.5".
    >>
    >> Does someone here who upgraded from 1.0.7 to 1.5 use QuickText and
    >> does it work for you?
    >>

    > Quick Text 0.9.7.2 works fine in TB 1.5.

    Thanks for the confirmation - actually, my question wasn't phrased properly.

    What I meant to say was that QuickText works OK for me in principle, but
    after the upgrade from 1.0.7 it only recognises my first group of
    entries, but not the others.

    I had this problem before when I upgraded QuickText itself from an
    earlier version, and Emil (the author of QuickText) at the time
    confirmed that the entry format wasn't compatible, but he reassured me
    that it wouldn't happen again.

    Are you using more than one QuickText entry groups, and are they all
    recognised after the upgrade?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  4. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 12:43 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    /snip

    >> Quick Text 0.9.7.2 works fine in TB 1.5.

    > Thanks for the confirmation - actually, my question wasn't phrased
    > properly.
    >
    > What I meant to say was that QuickText works OK for me in principle, but
    > after the upgrade from 1.0.7 it only recognises my first group of
    > entries, but not the others.
    >
    > I had this problem before when I upgraded QuickText itself from an
    > earlier version, and Emil (the author of QuickText) at the time
    > confirmed that the entry format wasn't compatible, but he reassured me
    > that it wouldn't happen again.
    >
    > Are you using more than one QuickText entry groups, and are they all
    > recognised after the upgrade?

    I had the same problem a while back. I was stuck using an early
    version of Quick Text, because I lost all my texts, and could set up new
    ones.

    I finally found that the darn things were inserted in prefs.js, and
    until I cleaned out the old references there, I couldn't add new ones.
    Since then its been working fine, through a couple of upgrades.

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  5. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 13.01.2006 16:26 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:

    >> Are you using more than one QuickText entry groups, and are they all
    >> recognised after the upgrade?
    >>

    > I had the same problem a while back. I was stuck using an early
    > version of Quick Text, because I lost all my texts, and could set up new
    > ones.
    >
    > I finally found that the darn things were inserted in prefs.js, and
    > until I cleaned out the old references there, I couldn't add new ones.
    > Since then its been working fine, through a couple of upgrades.

    Did you have do intervene manually after upgrading from 1.0.7 to 1.5, or
    did 1.5 recognise all your entries automatically?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  6. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 16:26 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>> Are you using more than one QuickText entry groups, and are they all
    >>> recognised after the upgrade?
    >>>

    >> I had the same problem a while back. I was stuck using an early
    >> version of Quick Text, because I lost all my texts, and could set up
    >> new ones.
    >>
    >> I finally found that the darn things were inserted in prefs.js, and
    >> until I cleaned out the old references there, I couldn't add new ones.
    >> Since then its been working fine, through a couple of upgrades.
    >>

    > Did you have do intervene manually after upgrading from 1.0.7 to 1.5, or
    > did 1.5 recognise all your entries automatically?

    Well, I was testing from 1.5 a, so it was a while ago. As I remember, I
    was still on TB 1.0.x when I had to clean out the Quick Text.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  7. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 13.01.2006 17:14 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I had the same problem a while back. I was stuck using an early
    >>> version of Quick Text, because I lost all my texts, and could set up
    >>> new ones.
    >>>
    >>> I finally found that the darn things were inserted in prefs.js, and
    >>> until I cleaned out the old references there, I couldn't add new
    >>> ones. Since then its been working fine, through a couple of upgrades.
    >>>

    >> Did you have do intervene manually after upgrading from 1.0.7 to 1.5,
    >> or did 1.5 recognise all your entries automatically?
    >>

    > Well, I was testing from 1.5 a, so it was a while ago. As I remember, I
    > was still on TB 1.0.x when I had to clean out the Quick Text.

    Thanks for your reply.

    If my interpretation is correct, in order to find out whether or not the
    fact that the QuickText extension is no longer working properly for me
    after upgrading to 1.5 is linked to my other problem discussed under
    "Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5", I still need someone who
    uses QuickText and upgraded straight from 1.0.7 to 1.5 to tell me
    whether it works for them or not - anyone out there?

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  8. Regards, Shahrzaad

    Herb wrote:
    > On 13.01.2006 17:14 UK Time, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Did you have do intervene manually after upgrading from 1.0.7 to
    >>> 1.5, or did 1.5 recognise all your entries automatically?
    >>>

    >> Well, I was testing from 1.5 a, so it was a while ago. As I
    >> remember, I was still on TB 1.0.x when I had to clean out the Quick
    >> Text.
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > If my interpretation is correct, in order to find out whether or not
    > the fact that the QuickText extension is no longer working properly
    > for me after upgrading to 1.5 is linked to my other problem discussed
    > under "Settings not sticking after upgrade to 1.5", I still need
    > someone who uses QuickText and upgraded straight from 1.0.7 to 1.5 to
    > tell me whether it works for them or not - anyone out there?

    I was using the QuickText extension in 1.0.6 and then made the jump to
    TB 1.5. I had two separate groups set up which had three different
    boiler-plates of text in each. None survived-- I had to set up the clips
    all over again.

    --
    Regards,
    Sparx

    I'm using Thunderbird 1.5 with GnuPG 1.4.2 and Enigmail 0.94

    My Public Key : http://tinyurl.com/3nfhk

  9. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    Herb wrote

    >>> Does someone here who upgraded from 1.0.7 to 1.5 use QuickText and
    >>> does it work for you?

    >> Quick Text 0.9.7.2 works fine in TB 1.5.

    > Thanks for the confirmation - actually, my question wasn't phrased properly.
    >
    > What I meant to say was that QuickText works OK for me in principle, but
    > after the upgrade from 1.0.7 it only recognises my first group of
    > entries, but not the others.

    Same here - it worked, but I had to delete all the entries a couple of times
    and add them again before they would stick. All is fine now.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  10. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 15.01.2006 15:32 UK Time, Bob Henson wrote:
    > Herb wrote

    >>> Quick Text 0.9.7.2 works fine in TB 1.5.

    >> Thanks for the confirmation - actually, my question wasn't phrased properly.
    >>
    >> What I meant to say was that QuickText works OK for me in principle, but
    >> after the upgrade from 1.0.7 it only recognises my first group of
    >> entries, but not the others.

    > Same here - it worked, but I had to delete all the entries a couple of times
    > and add them again before they would stick. All is fine now.

    Hi Bob,

    thanks for confirming that it wasn't related to my specific setup.

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  11. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 15.01.2006 16:40 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 15:32 UK Time, Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Herb wrote

    >>> Thanks for the confirmation - actually, my question wasn't phrased
    >>> properly.
    >>>
    >>> What I meant to say was that QuickText works OK for me in principle,
    >>> but after the upgrade from 1.0.7 it only recognises my first group of
    >>> entries, but not the others.

    >> Same here - it worked, but I had to delete all the entries a couple of
    >> times
    >> and add them again before they would stick. All is fine now.

    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > thanks for confirming that it wasn't related to my specific setup.

    On closer inspection and some experimentation, I found that the
    character sequence that QuickText used in 1.0.7 for separating entries
    on the same line within prefs.js was "¤¤".

    For some reason, in 1.5 this has changed to "��".

    Guess what? Simply replacing all occurrences of "¤¤" with "��" in
    prefs.js solved the problem! 8-)

    I'll drop Emil a line to see what he has to say on the subject :-)

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  12. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 15.01.2006 20:31 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 16:40 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    >> On 15.01.2006 15:32 UK Time, Bob Henson wrote:
    >>> Herb wrote

    >>> Same here - it worked, but I had to delete all the entries a couple
    >>> of times
    >>> and add them again before they would stick. All is fine now.

    >> Hi Bob,
    >>
    >> thanks for confirming that it wasn't related to my specific setup.
    >>

    > On closer inspection and some experimentation, I found that the
    > character sequence that QuickText used in 1.0.7 for separating entries
    > on the same line within prefs.js was "¤¤".
    >
    > For some reason, in 1.5 this has changed to "��".
    >
    > Guess what? Simply replacing all occurrences of "¤¤" with "��" in
    > prefs.js solved the problem! 8-)
    >
    > I'll drop Emil a line to see what he has to say on the subject :-)

    This is what he said:

    "I'm aware of that and the problem is not mine this time. Thunderbird
    changed the character encoding of the prefs.js so Quicktext didn't work

    I'll attach a betaversion with the problem fixed and some feature added.
    The feature can be found in the changelog. The beta is only available in
    English and Swedish translations."

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  13. Re: QuickText extension working OK in 1.5?

    On 16.01.2006 04:21 UK Time, Herb wrote:
    > On 15.01.2006 20:31 UK Time, Herb wrote:

    >>> Hi Bob,
    >>>
    >>> thanks for confirming that it wasn't related to my specific setup.
    >>>

    >> On closer inspection and some experimentation, I found that the
    >> character sequence that QuickText used in 1.0.7 for separating entries
    >> on the same line within prefs.js was "¤¤".
    >>
    >> For some reason, in 1.5 this has changed to "��".
    >>
    >> Guess what? Simply replacing all occurrences of "¤¤" with "��"
    >> in prefs.js solved the problem! 8-)
    >>
    >> I'll drop Emil a line to see what he has to say on the subject :-)
    >>

    > This is what he said:
    >
    > "I'm aware of that and the problem is not mine this time. Thunderbird
    > changed the character encoding of the prefs.js so Quicktext didn't work
    >
    > I'll attach a betaversion with the problem fixed and some feature added.
    > The feature can be found in the changelog. The beta is only available in
    > English and Swedish translations."

    I note that Emil has amended his website
    (http://www.hesslow.se/quicktext), although he doesn't mention 'my'
    method, i.e. replacing all occurrences of "¤¤" with "��" in
    prefs.js :-(

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk