Odd Header - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Odd Header - Mozilla ; Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date? Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable to me! Regards, Bob ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Odd Header

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  2. Re: Odd Header

    On 1/11/2006 7:51 AM On a whim, Bob Henson pounded out on the keyboard

    > Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    > "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    > Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    > to me!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    Hi Bob,

    Can you clarify a bit? This is what I see in your header (1st 4 lines):
    Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:51:57 +0000
    From: Bob Henson

    No other From is listed.
    --
    Terry

    ***Reply Note***

  3. Re: Odd Header

    Terry wrote

    >> Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >> "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >> Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >> to me!

    > Can you clarify a bit? This is what I see in your header (1st 4 lines):

    > No other From is listed.

    It only applies to e-mail, not news. Here's the first bit of one from
    Microsoft this morning.

    Quote on ......

    From - Wed Jan 11 02:08:21 2006
    From: "Microsoft" <10_27610_FqgV0Fi6zp+96VAQEVtVNA@newsletters.micros oft.com>

    Quote off...............

    The last line is the correct From: line - so what gives with line 1? Every
    E-mail I get is the same, so I wondered if it was just me. It isn't new to v
    1.5, it's been the same for ages.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  4. Re: Odd Header

    On 1/11/2006 11:51 AM Bob Henson scribbled:

    > Terry wrote
    >

    >>>Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >>>"From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >>>Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >>>to me!

    >>Can you clarify a bit? This is what I see in your header (1st 4 lines):

    >>No other From is listed.

    > It only applies to e-mail, not news. Here's the first bit of one from
    > Microsoft this morning.
    >
    > Quote on ......
    >
    > From - Wed Jan 11 02:08:21 2006
    > From: "Microsoft" <10_27610_FqgV0Fi6zp+96VAQEVtVNA@newsletters.micros oft.com>
    >
    > Quote off...............
    >
    > The last line is the correct From: line - so what gives with line 1? Every
    > E-mail I get is the same, so I wondered if it was just me. It isn't new to v
    > 1.5, it's been the same for ages.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    The correct source is 207.46.248.41, which is the 2nd from line above.
    That 1st From line (local host) ? /I beleive/ is added by the DNS
    server - are you on a VPN or using Win RAS?

  5. Re: Odd Header

    Bob Henson wrote:
    > Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    > "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    > Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    > to me!

    It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    that From line.

    --
    Michael Cowperthwaite

    To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.

  6. Re: Odd Header

    On 01/11/06 15:43, M Cowperthwaite wrote:
    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >> "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >> Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >> to me!

    > It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    > message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    > line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    > looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    > that From line.

    Maybe it shouldn't be displayed, then, since it's not really part of the
    message?
    --
    Yay!

  7. Re: Odd Header

    On 2006-01-11 21:41, jg wrote:
    > On 1/11/2006 11:51 AM Bob Henson scribbled:
    >
    >> Terry wrote

    >>> Can you clarify a bit? This is what I see in your header (1st 4 lines):

    >>> No other From is listed.

    >> It only applies to e-mail, not news. Here's the first bit of one from
    >> Microsoft this morning.
    >>
    >> Quote on ......
    >>
    >> From - Wed Jan 11 02:08:21 2006
    >> From: "Microsoft" <10_27610_FqgV0Fi6zp+96VAQEVtVNA@newsletters.micros oft.com>
    >>
    >> Quote off...............
    >>
    >> The last line is the correct From: line - so what gives with line 1? Every
    >> E-mail I get is the same, so I wondered if it was just me. It isn't new to v
    >> 1.5, it's been the same for ages.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > The correct source is 207.46.248.41, which is the 2nd from line above.
    > That 1st From line (local host) ? /I beleive/ is added by the DNS
    > server - are you on a VPN or using Win RAS?

    Bob's not talking about 'Received:' headers. He's talking about 'From:'
    (according to RFC) and 'From -' (according to the mbox storage format
    Mozilla products are using, even the predecessor Netscape did; it
    delineates messages). The 'X-' before the 'Envelope-to:' are all
    Mozilla meta data, all described somewhere on the Mozilla pages (I don't
    remember the link just now).

    --
    Kjell

  8. Re: Odd Header

    M Cowperthwaite wrote:

    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >> "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >> Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >> to me!

    > It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    > message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    > line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    > looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    > that From line.

    Cool. I had noticed that too and wondered about it. That might explain why
    things sometimes went all pear-shaped when I tried to add my kmail mail files
    to my netscape mail files.

    Is your name REALLY Cowperthwaite?

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  9. Re: Odd Header

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > M Cowperthwaite wrote:
    >

    >>Bob Henson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >>>"From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >>>Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >>>to me!

    >>It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    >>message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    >>line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    >>looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    >>that From line.

    > Cool. I had noticed that too and wondered about it. That might explain why
    > things sometimes went all pear-shaped when I tried to add my kmail mail files
    > to my netscape mail files.
    >
    > Is your name REALLY Cowperthwaite?

    In TB, click on Help, About, and Credits. Part way down under Quality
    Assurance. Does that answer your question?

  10. Re: Odd Header

    Kjell B. wrote:
    > On 2006-01-11 21:41, jg wrote:
    >
    >>On 1/11/2006 11:51 AM Bob Henson scribbled:
    >>

    >>>Terry wrote

    >>>It only applies to e-mail, not news. Here's the first bit of one from
    >>>Microsoft this morning.
    >>>
    >>>Quote on ......
    >>>
    >>>From - Wed Jan 11 02:08:21 2006
    >>>From: "Microsoft" <10_27610_FqgV0Fi6zp+96VAQEVtVNA@newsletters.micros oft.com>
    >>>
    >>>Quote off...............
    >>>
    >>>The last line is the correct From: line - so what gives with line 1? Every
    >>>E-mail I get is the same, so I wondered if it was just me. It isn't new to v
    >>>1.5, it's been the same for ages.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>
    >>>Bob
    >>>

    >>The correct source is 207.46.248.41, which is the 2nd from line above.
    >>That 1st From line (local host) ? /I beleive/ is added by the DNS
    >>server - are you on a VPN or using Win RAS?

    > Bob's not talking about 'Received:' headers. He's talking about 'From:'
    > (according to RFC) and 'From -' (according to the mbox storage format
    > Mozilla products are using, even the predecessor Netscape did; it
    > delineates messages). The 'X-' before the 'Envelope-to:' are all
    > Mozilla meta data, all described somewhere on the Mozilla pages (I don't
    > remember the link just now).

    The topmost header is from the last server that handled the email.
    Your mail server is adding that first 'From' itself

  11. Re: Odd Header

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

    > Kjell B. wrote:
    >> On 2006-01-11 21:41, jg wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 1/11/2006 11:51 AM Bob Henson scribbled:

    >>>The correct source is 207.46.248.41, which is the 2nd from line above.
    >>>That 1st From line (local host) ? /I beleive/ is added by the DNS
    >>>server - are you on a VPN or using Win RAS?

    >> Bob's not talking about 'Received:' headers. He's talking about 'From:'
    >> (according to RFC) and 'From -' (according to the mbox storage format
    >> Mozilla products are using, even the predecessor Netscape did; it
    >> delineates messages). The 'X-' before the 'Envelope-to:' are all
    >> Mozilla meta data, all described somewhere on the Mozilla pages (I don't
    >> remember the link just now).
    >>

    > The topmost header is from the last server that handled the email.
    > Your mail server is adding that first 'From' itself

    I get mail from two different servers here and at work, but they both put
    the word From and then the date at the top. Is it standard for all mail
    servers to do that? It seems very odd to preface a date stamp with the word
    "From" - I would have expected "Date:"

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  12. Re: Odd Header

    M Cowperthwaite wrote

    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Why, when I examine e-mail headers with CTRL-U is the first header
    >> "From" (as distinct from the "From:" header further down) and the date?
    >> Sam Spade says it doesn't recognise the header - which seems reasonable
    >> to me!

    > It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    > message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    > line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    > looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    > that From line.

    OK, that makes more sense. I still think its an odd convention to use though
    - using a word that is already used for another header doesn't seem too
    smart to me, especially when followed by a date. I always expect programmers
    to be logical. Still, thanks very much for the gen, at least I now know why
    it's there.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  13. Re: Odd Header

    On 2006-01-12 18:29, Bob Henson wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote
    >
    >> Kjell B. wrote:

    >>> Bob's not talking about 'Received:' headers. He's talking about 'From:'
    >>> (according to RFC) and 'From -' (according to the mbox storage format
    >>> Mozilla products are using, even the predecessor Netscape did; it
    >>> delineates messages). The 'X-' before the 'Envelope-to:' are all
    >>> Mozilla meta data, all described somewhere on the Mozilla pages (I don't
    >>> remember the link just now).
    >>>

    >> The topmost header is from the last server that handled the email.
    >> Your mail server is adding that first 'From' itself

    > I get mail from two different servers here and at work, but they both put
    > the word From and then the date at the top. Is it standard for all mail
    > servers to do that? It seems very odd to preface a date stamp with the word
    > "From" - I would have expected "Date:"
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    It appears Dan missed my point: I didn't talk about 'Received:' headers
    at all, nor did Bob.

    What you're seeing ('From - ') Bob, just like Mike and myself commented
    on earlier, is what TB's modified mbox format (basically from standard
    Unix, see http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=mbox
    The mbox format occured in Version 6 AT&T Unix., or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) adds.

    --
    Kjell

  14. Re: Odd Header

    gwtc wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> M Cowperthwaite wrote:

    >>>It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    >>>message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    >>>line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    >>>looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    >>>that From line.

    >> Cool. I had noticed that too and wondered about it. That might explain why
    >> things sometimes went all pear-shaped when I tried to add my kmail mail files
    >> to my netscape mail files.
    >>
    >> Is your name REALLY Cowperthwaite?
    >>

    > In TB, click on Help, About, and Credits. Part way down under Quality
    > Assurance. Does that answer your question?

    Yup. It's just such a perfect high-class Brit name that I figured it MUST be
    made up!

    "Was it a female gorilla?"
    "Of course, there's nothing ODD about Cowperthwaite..."

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  15. OT: Odd Header

    On 1/12/2006 4:30 PM The Real Bev wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Is your name REALLY Cowperthwaite?
    >>>

    >> In TB, click on Help, About, and Credits. Part way down under Quality
    >> Assurance. Does that answer your question?

    > Yup. It's just such a perfect high-class Brit name that I figured it
    > MUST be made up!

    Not to mention the fact that "Miles Cowperthwaite" is a fictional
    character from Saturday Night Live.

  16. Re: OT: Odd Header

    John Swartzentruber wrote:

    > On 1/12/2006 4:30 PM The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >>gwtc wrote:

    >>>In TB, click on Help, About, and Credits. Part way down under Quality
    >>>Assurance. Does that answer your question?

    >>Yup. It's just such a perfect high-class Brit name that I figured it
    >>MUST be made up!

    > Not to mention the fact that "Miles Cowperthwaite" is a fictional
    > character from Saturday Night Live.

    Sorry, can't say, cause I only saw the first few years of SNL. After
    awhile, when all the good players left, and these newer ones came in,
    it lost its fun. BTW: I have a blender, anyone got some bats?

  17. Re: OT: Odd Header

    John Swartzentruber wrote:

    > On 1/12/2006 4:30 PM The Real Bev wrote:
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> In TB, click on Help, About, and Credits. Part way down under Quality
    >>> Assurance. Does that answer your question?

    >> Yup. It's just such a perfect high-class Brit name that I figured it
    >> MUST be made up!

    > Not to mention the fact that "Miles Cowperthwaite" is a fictional
    > character from Saturday Night Live.

    I haven't watched SNL for perhaps decades. I think the final episode I saw
    involved Canteen Boy on a camping trip with perverted Scoutmaster Alec
    Baldwin. Some things are so awful, in addition to being unfunny, that they
    spread crap over everything they're even near, much less touch. In awfulness,
    Adam Sandler surpassed even himself singing something about his red sweatshirt.

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.

  18. Re: Odd Header

    Kjell B. wrote

    > On 2006-01-12 18:29, Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote

    >>> The topmost header is from the last server that handled the email.
    >>> Your mail server is adding that first 'From' itself

    >> I get mail from two different servers here and at work, but they both put
    >> the word From and then the date at the top. Is it standard for all mail
    >> servers to do that? It seems very odd to preface a date stamp with the word
    >> "From" - I would have expected "Date:"
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > It appears Dan missed my point: I didn't talk about 'Received:' headers
    > at all, nor did Bob.
    >
    > What you're seeing ('From - ') Bob, just like Mike and myself commented
    > on earlier, is what TB's modified mbox format (basically from standard
    > Unix, see http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=mbox
    > The mbox format occured in Version 6 AT&T Unix., or
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) adds.

    From which it would appear that it was the intention to have the addressee's
    name after the "From " in the first line and then the date - that would have
    made some sense. Better still to have a marker that did not duplicate
    another header. Anyway, I now understand why it is there, however illogical,
    so thanks for your help.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  19. Re: Odd Header

    On 01/11/06 15:43, M Cowperthwaite wrote:
    > It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when all the
    > message are stored in one file, programs using mbox-format look for a
    > line that begins with "From " (including the space). If you were
    > looking at the source of a message on an IMAP server, it wouldn't have
    > that From line.

    Does that mean if you put "From " at the beginning of a line in a
    message, it could totally mess up the mbox file?
    --
    Yay!

  20. Re: Odd Header

    Matt Nordhoff wrote in
    :

    > On 01/11/06 15:43, M Cowperthwaite wrote:
    >> It's not actually a header, it's the mbox separator line -- when
    >> all the message are stored in one file, programs using
    >> mbox-format look for a line that begins with "From " (including
    >> the space). If you were looking at the source of a message on an
    >> IMAP server, it wouldn't have that From line.

    > Does that mean if you put "From " at the beginning of a line in a
    > message, it could totally mess up the mbox file?

    No, clients have to escape that in the body before storing it in the
    mbox file. Often it's done by changing it to ">From ", but I don't
    know how Mozilla's mboxes handle it.

    From blah blah.

    Now you can open your mbox in a text editor and see what happened to
    the line above.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast