TB 1.5RC2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB 1.5RC2 - Mozilla ; I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning to wipe the program ...

  1. TB 1.5RC2

    I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Kris

  2. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Kris Sedmera wrote:

    > I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    > window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    > creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    > to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    > to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    > "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    > file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    > initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, Kris

    Have seen notes to the effect that TB 1.5 is about to be final. Maybe they
    have pulled the earlier stuff.

    Lou

  3. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    > window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    > creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    > to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    > to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    > "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    > file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    > initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >
    > Any ideas?

    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...eases/1.5.html

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  4. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    >> window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    >> creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    >> to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    >> to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    >> "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    >> file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    >> initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...eases/1.5.html
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    ==> I've tried this several times, as well as the links from many other
    sites. All of them give me a network error message, and won't download
    the file. It's like I'm jinxed.

    Kris

  5. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >> Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >>> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    >>> window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    >>> creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    >>> to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    >>> to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    >>> "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    >>> file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    >>> initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...eases/1.5.html
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > ==> I've tried this several times, as well as the links from many other
    > sites. All of them give me a network error message, and won't download
    > the file. It's like I'm jinxed.

    Odd, it works fine form here. Something your end, no doubt.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  6. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    On 01/11/06 09:31, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    > window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    > creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    > to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    > to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    > "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    > file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    > initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, Kris

    ()

    That doesn't work?
    --
    Yay!

  7. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 09:31, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g.
    >> the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've
    >> tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was
    >> planning to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely
    >> clean install to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on
    >> the web for the "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to
    >> connect to the file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2
    >> installation file (I initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Kris

    > ()
    >
    > That doesn't work?

    I get a typical network error no matter what site I try to download it
    from, i.e:

    "The connection was reset

    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

    * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
    again in a few moments.

    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    network connection.

    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
    proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

    ==> I guess it must be some sort of firewall issue, but I don't know why
    it only picks on Mozilla.

    Kris

  8. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    On 01/11/06 11:59, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/11/06 09:31, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >>> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g.
    >>> the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've
    >>> tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was
    >>> planning to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely
    >>> clean install to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on
    >>> the web for the "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to
    >>> connect to the file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2
    >>> installation file (I initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Kris

    >> ()
    >>
    >> That doesn't work?

    > I get a typical network error no matter what site I try to download it
    > from, i.e:
    >
    > "The connection was reset
    >
    > The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    >
    > * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
    > in a few moments.
    >
    > * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    > network connection.
    >
    > * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
    > make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
    >
    > ==> I guess it must be some sort of firewall issue, but I don't know
    > why it only picks on Mozilla.
    >
    > Kris

    You can download fine in IE? I'd say it's a firewall issue, then.
    Reconfigure Firefox in your firewall.
    --
    Yay!

  9. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> On 01/11/06 09:31, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >>> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g.
    >>> the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've
    >>> tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was
    >>> planning to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely
    >>> clean install to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on
    >>> the web for the "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to
    >>> connect to the file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2
    >>> installation file (I initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Kris

    >> ()
    >>
    >> That doesn't work?

    > I get a typical network error no matter what site I try to download it
    > from, i.e:
    >
    > "The connection was reset
    >
    > The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    >
    > * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again
    > in a few moments.
    >
    > * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    > network connection.
    >
    > * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
    > make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
    >
    > ==> I guess it must be some sort of firewall issue, but I don't know
    > why it only picks on Mozilla.
    >
    > Kris

    Sounds like a firewall issue. If you have Norton "Security" with their
    firewall it could easily be "picking on" Mozilla ..it does it all the
    time at my wife's office. I am constantly going in and finding several
    entries for Moz ..some with "permit", some with "automatically
    configure" and some with "always block"!! I remove them all and let
    Norton "rediscover" Moz (same applies to FF) ....as you can tell Norton
    has a *TERRIBLE* firewall ...POC! I actually have one machine at that
    office that doesn't find a new install of Mozilla and decides to block
    it without asking...GRRR.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

  10. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 11:59, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> ()
    >>>
    >>> That doesn't work?

    >> I get a typical network error no matter what site I try to download it
    >> from, i.e:
    >>
    >> "The connection was reset
    >>
    >> The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    >>
    >> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
    >> again in a few moments.
    >>
    >> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    >> network connection.
    >>
    >> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
    >> proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
    >>
    >> ==> I guess it must be some sort of firewall issue, but I don't
    >> know why it only picks on Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Kris

    > You can download fine in IE? I'd say it's a firewall issue, then.
    > Reconfigure Firefox in your firewall.

    ==> I've tried loading it in Firefox and IE. Both are no go's. I'm
    wondering if a proxy would help with that, if it's my ISP firewall(?). I
    haven't found one that works, though, with my Google search. I have
    McAfee AV, not sure of the firewall brand though, and I can't change it.
    I guess if nothing else, I can try downloading it from a friend's
    machine and bringing it over on a jump drive.

    Kris

  11. update

    Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g. the
    > window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've tried
    > creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was planning
    > to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely clean install
    > to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on the web for the
    > "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to connect to the
    > file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2 installation file (I
    > initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, Kris

    ==> OK, guys. I seem to have fixed the saved settings problem without a
    complete re-install (I just had to abandon all my profile data; I was
    copying too much of my old profile back again before), but I'm still
    peeved about not being able to download install files from Mozilla.

    Kris

  12. Re: update

    On 01/11/06 13:37, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g.
    >> the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've
    >> tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was
    >> planning to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely
    >> clean install to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on
    >> the web for the "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to
    >> connect to the file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2
    >> installation file (I initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Kris

    > ==> OK, guys. I seem to have fixed the saved settings problem without
    > a complete re-install (I just had to abandon all my profile data; I was
    > copying too much of my old profile back again before), but I'm still
    > peeved about not being able to download install files from Mozilla.
    >
    > Kris

    You might be able to just delete or rename the "localstore.rdf" file in
    your profile instead of abandoning the whole thing. That file stores
    window layout configuration, and it could be corrupt or read-only or
    something.
    --
    Yay!

  13. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    On 01/11/06 13:33, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > ==> I've tried loading it in Firefox and IE. Both are no go's. I'm
    > wondering if a proxy would help with that, if it's my ISP firewall(?). I
    > haven't found one that works, though, with my Google search. I have
    > McAfee AV, not sure of the firewall brand though, and I can't change it.
    > I guess if nothing else, I can try downloading it from a friend's
    > machine and bringing it over on a jump drive.
    >
    > Kris

    Well, that's definitely not Firefox's fault, then. Sounds like a crappy
    firewall or Internet connection.

    A proxy wouldn't help if it's with your ISP, since you still have to go
    through your ISP's servers. Unless maybe you used a different port and
    maybe encrypted the data to the proxy, if your ISP is messing with
    HTTP/port 80 stuff.
    --
    Yay!

  14. Re: update

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 13:37, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >> Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >>> I'm having trouble with TB 1.5rc2 not remembering my settings (e.g.
    >>> the window layout, customized toolbar, etc) when I restart it. I've
    >>> tried creating a new profile already, which didn't fix it. So I was
    >>> planning to wipe the program and my old profile and do a completely
    >>> clean install to see if this fixes it. But every link I've found on
    >>> the web for the "Thunderbird Setup 1.5rc2.exe" install file fails to
    >>> connect to the file. Thus, I can't seem to download the RC2
    >>> installation file (I initially got RC2 via the automatic update tool).
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks, Kris

    >> ==> OK, guys. I seem to have fixed the saved settings problem
    >> without a complete re-install (I just had to abandon all my profile
    >> data; I was copying too much of my old profile back again before), but
    >> I'm still peeved about not being able to download install files from
    >> Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Kris

    > You might be able to just delete or rename the "localstore.rdf" file in
    > your profile instead of abandoning the whole thing. That file stores
    > window layout configuration, and it could be corrupt or read-only or
    > something.

    ==> I think I tried that, although I'm not absolutely sure. This time I
    only transferred my address book and training file, though, and it's
    working fine now. But if I have that problem again, I'll try it.

    Thanks, Kris

  15. Re: update

    On 01/11/06 14:29, Kris Sedmera wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> ==> OK, guys. I seem to have fixed the saved settings problem
    >>> without a complete re-install (I just had to abandon all my profile
    >>> data; I was copying too much of my old profile back again before),
    >>> but I'm still peeved about not being able to download install files
    >>> from Mozilla.
    >>>
    >>> Kris

    >> You might be able to just delete or rename the "localstore.rdf" file
    >> in your profile instead of abandoning the whole thing. That file
    >> stores window layout configuration, and it could be corrupt or
    >> read-only or something.

    > ==> I think I tried that, although I'm not absolutely sure. This time
    > I only transferred my address book and training file, though, and it's
    > working fine now. But if I have that problem again, I'll try it.
    >
    > Thanks, Kris

    Well, I'm glad everything is working for you now...

    And yes, it would be a good idea to try that in the future. It's a
    pretty small loss if you delete it and it doesn't work, and no loss at
    all if you just rename it.
    --
    Yay!

  16. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    On 01/11/06 16:28, gwtc wrote:
    > BTW: How did we get from a TB problem to a FF problem?

    The OP mentioned he/she/it couldn't download a new copy of the
    Thunderbird 1.5 installer in the OP. Two or three our of five sentences
    in the OP are talking about it.
    --
    Yay!

  17. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    Kris Sedmera wrote:

    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>>I get a typical network error no matter what site I try to download it
    >>>from, i.e:
    >>>
    >>>"The connection was reset
    >>>
    >>>The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    >>>
    >>> * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try
    >>>again in a few moments.
    >>>
    >>> * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's
    >>>network connection.
    >>>
    >>> * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or
    >>>proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
    >>>
    >>>==> I guess it must be some sort of firewall issue, but I don't
    >>>know why it only picks on Mozilla.
    >>>
    >>>Kris

    >>You can download fine in IE? I'd say it's a firewall issue, then.
    >>Reconfigure Firefox in your firewall.

    > ==> I've tried loading it in Firefox and IE. Both are no go's. I'm
    > wondering if a proxy would help with that, if it's my ISP firewall(?). I
    > haven't found one that works, though, with my Google search. I have
    > McAfee AV, not sure of the firewall brand though, and I can't change it.
    > I guess if nothing else, I can try downloading it from a friend's
    > machine and bringing it over on a jump drive.
    >
    > Kris

    since its happening to IE aswell, then its not a FF issue, but rather
    a connection with your ISP. Give them a call.

    BTW: How did we get from a TB problem to a FF problem?

  18. Re: TB 1.5RC2

    gwtc wrote:
    > Kris Sedmera wrote:
    >
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> You can download fine in IE? I'd say it's a firewall issue, then.
    >>> Reconfigure Firefox in your firewall.

    >> ==> I've tried loading it in Firefox and IE. Both are no go's. I'm
    >> wondering if a proxy would help with that, if it's my ISP firewall(?).
    >> I haven't found one that works, though, with my Google search. I have
    >> McAfee AV, not sure of the firewall brand though, and I can't change it.
    >> I guess if nothing else, I can try downloading it from a friend's
    >> machine and bringing it over on a jump drive.
    >>
    >> Kris

    > since its happening to IE aswell, then its not a FF issue, but rather a
    > connection with your ISP. Give them a call.
    >
    > BTW: How did we get from a TB problem to a FF problem?

    That's an "easy" ...the OP can't download a copy of TB 1.5RC2...I
    addressed that problem since I had something to offer there ..my version
    of TB 1.5RC2 is working flawlessly so I didn't have anything to offer
    for the TB problem ...so we morphed into a FF problem. Now if the OP can
    get a copy of the TB install file and see if a fresh install makes a
    difference we may have the TB problem solved.

    --
    Brian

    .. http://www.mozilla.org

    .. http://ilias.ca/mozilla/

    .. http://ilias.ca/

    .. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

+ Reply to Thread