Default Programs - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Default Programs - Mozilla ; I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes", but being a cautious soul, I went ...

  1. Default Programs

    I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    to resort to such subterfuge.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email

  2. Re: Default Programs

    Bob Henson wrote:
    > I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    > re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    > Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    > but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    > checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    > default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    > without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    > Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    > at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    > e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    > Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    > to resort to such subterfuge.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
    removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
    happens to those default settings after that on updating.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  3. Re: Default Programs

    On 11.01.2006 10:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Bob Henson to
    generate the following:? :

    >I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    >re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    >Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    >but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    >checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    >default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    >without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    >Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    >at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    >e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    >Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    >to resort to such subterfuge.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Bob

    naaa, Bob - that is called "looking after your own...."

    reg

  4. Re: Default Programs

    On 2006-01-11 11:58, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    >> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    >> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    >> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    >> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    >> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    >> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    >> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    >> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    >> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    >> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    >> to resort to such subterfuge.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Bob

    > I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
    > removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
    > happens to those default settings after that on updating.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    It certainly didn't happen here. Bob must have done something else is my
    guess.

    --
    Kjell

  5. Re: Default Programs

    Bob Henson wrote:

    > I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    > re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    > Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    > but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    > checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    > default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    > without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    > Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    > at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    > e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    > Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    > to resort to such subterfuge.

    Haven't they always done it that way? I seem to remember that the default
    non-windows application sooner or later lost its 'default' status, which
    reverted to the equivalent windows product.

    What always griped me was that every lousy windows program, as part of its
    installation, asked "Do you want this program to start automatically when you
    boot up?" I think the answer defaults to YES and thoughtless (it would be rude
    to call them clueless) people just hit ENTER and wonder why their machine is
    running so slowly after a while.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

  6. Re: Default Programs

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Bob Henson wrote:
    >

    >>I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    >>re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    >>Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    >>but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    >>checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    >>default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    >>without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    >>Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    >>at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    >>e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    >>Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    >>to resort to such subterfuge.

    > Haven't they always done it that way? I seem to remember that the default
    > non-windows application sooner or later lost its 'default' status, which
    > reverted to the equivalent windows product.
    >
    > What always griped me was that every lousy windows program, as part of its
    > installation, asked "Do you want this program to start automatically when you
    > boot up?" I think the answer defaults to YES and thoughtless (it would be rude
    > to call them clueless) people just hit ENTER and wonder why their machine is
    > running so slowly after a while.

    thats why most people just don't pay attention to every little screen
    or popup that happens. Then they come to newsgroups or other tech
    support groups complaining -- "why did this happen?" or "whats happening?"

  7. Re: Default Programs

    Kjell B. wrote

    > On 2006-01-11 11:58, Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Bob Henson wrote:
    >>> I just installed three standard security updates from Microsoft. On
    >>> re-running Thunderbird, a pop-up asked me "Do you want to use Mozilla
    >>> Thunderbird as your default mail application?" Of course, I said "Yes",
    >>> but being a cautious soul, I went to Windows Internet settings and
    >>> checked that it had actually done as I said and left Thunderbird as the
    >>> default. It had, but it had changed the default News reader to Outlook,
    >>> without asking me. I'm guessing that if I had the system set to run
    >>> Windows updates *fully* automatically, that I would have had no warning
    >>> at all. If anyone has problems with the default settings for news and
    >>> e-mail after the new updates are applied, that's probably what happened.
    >>> Microsoft must be really worried about the competition if they're having
    >>> to resort to such subterfuge.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Bob

    >> I think it's just their standard oafishness. I haven't gotten around to
    >> removing OE on this installation. It will be interesting to see what
    >> happens to those default settings after that on updating.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > It certainly didn't happen here. Bob must have done something else is my
    > guess.

    It happened in exactly the same manner on both my machines at home - so it
    must be something that I did identically on three different computers in two
    different locations, (but only one Microsoft :-) ) I doubt it could be UK
    specific. Anyway, if it happens to anyone else they'll know what it was, and
    if it doesn't , well, so much the better.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

+ Reply to Thread