Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick - Mozilla ; I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group. It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all the previous messages marked as new. This happens with ...

  1. Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick

    I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group. It
    asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all the

    This happens with no other news server.

    There's always something...

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    > the previous messages marked as new.
    >
    > This happens with no other news server.
    >
    > There's always something...

    You are talking about this server? Did you have any groups you read at
    news.mozilla.org before the new server was implemented?

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group.
    >> It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all
    >> the previous messages marked as new.
    >>
    >> This happens with no other news server.
    >>
    >> There's always something...
    >>

    > You are talking about this server? Did you have any groups you read at
    > news.mozilla.org before the new server was implemented?

    Yes I did. I went on a search-and-destroy for anything at all called
    news.mozilla.org and got everything 'locate' could find in my current (not
    ..old stuff), but apparently that's not enough. I just grepped for it in my
    default profile, but I suspect it's showing stuff newly-created when I
    re-subscribed.

    I'm going to try to kill that stuff too unless you tell me an EASY thing to do!

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group.
    >>> It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all
    >>> the previous messages marked as new.
    >>>
    >>> This happens with no other news server.
    >>>
    >>> There's always something...

    >> You are talking about this server? Did you have any groups you read at
    >> news.mozilla.org before the new server was implemented?

    > Yes I did. I went on a search-and-destroy for anything at all called
    > news.mozilla.org and got everything 'locate' could find in my current (not
    > .old stuff), but apparently that's not enough. I just grepped for it in my
    > default profile, but I suspect it's showing stuff newly-created when I
    > re-subscribed.
    >
    > I'm going to try to kill that stuff too unless you tell me an EASY thing to do!

    OK, I removed news.mozilla.org and restarted THREE TIMES before it finally
    died. Hard to kill, but eventually it worked. Wow. I'm glad I only had a
    few newsgroups to re-create.

    What/where was the offensive entry that managed to survive?

    --
    Cheers, Bev
    Who forgot to specify her .sig file

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group. It
    > asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all the
    >
    > This happens with no other news server.
    >
    > There's always something...

    I subscribed to the new "support" groups through the news.mozilla.org
    hierarchy (refresh list; filter on support) and had no problems with the
    exception of the message counts being wonky for a few accesses.
    Meaning, Mark All Read and the next time I entered the group it would
    show ~400 unread messages. Eventually cleared up.

    It appears the groups are symlinked to another server. Is that accurate?

    Rinaldi
    --
    "The other day I put instant coffee in my microwave oven ... I almost
    went back in time."

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> You are talking about this server? Did you have any groups you read
    >>> at news.mozilla.org before the new server was implemented?

    >> Yes I did. I went on a search-and-destroy for anything at all called
    >> news.mozilla.org and got everything 'locate' could find in my current
    >> (not .old stuff), but apparently that's not enough. I just grepped
    >> for it in my default profile, but I suspect it's showing stuff
    >> newly-created when I re-subscribed.
    >>
    >> I'm going to try to kill that stuff too unless you tell me an EASY
    >> thing to do!

    > OK, I removed news.mozilla.org and restarted THREE TIMES before it
    > finally died. Hard to kill, but eventually it worked. Wow. I'm glad I
    > only had a few newsgroups to re-create.
    >
    > What/where was the offensive entry that managed to survive?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Bev
    > Who forgot to specify her .sig file

    prefs.js in a text editor. Remove all references to news.mozilla.org.
    Restart and resubscribe.

    Is it easy? Well I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I'm
    just glad its working for you.

    Lee

    --

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first
    >> group. It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I
    >> see all the previous messages marked as new.
    >>
    >> This happens with no other news server.
    >>
    >> There's always something...

    > I subscribed to the new "support" groups through the news.mozilla.org
    > hierarchy (refresh list; filter on support) and had no problems with the
    > exception of the message counts being wonky for a few accesses. Meaning,
    > Mark All Read and the next time I entered the group it would show ~400
    > unread messages. Eventually cleared up.
    >
    > It appears the groups are symlinked to another server. Is that accurate?
    >
    > Rinaldi

    Yes, the news.mozilla.org alias points to a Giganews server.

    Lee

    --

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first group.
    > It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I see all
    > the previous messages marked as new.
    >
    > This happens with no other news server.
    >
    > There's always something...

    Hi Bev,

    I just had the same fight with another server's messages. I went round
    and round for an hour until I suddenly thought to Remove and then Install
    anew.

    HINT: Because of my short term memory loss I first screen captured the
    Account Settings window to help with installing that new account. :-\

    Don

  9. Re: Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first
    >>> group. It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I
    >>> see all the previous messages marked as new.
    >>>
    >>> This happens with no other news server.
    >>>
    >>> There's always something...

    >> I subscribed to the new "support" groups through the news.mozilla.org
    >> hierarchy (refresh list; filter on support) and had no problems with the
    >> exception of the message counts being wonky for a few accesses. Meaning,
    >> Mark All Read and the next time I entered the group it would show ~400
    >> unread messages. Eventually cleared up.
    >>
    >> It appears the groups are symlinked to another server. Is that accurate?
    >>
    >> Rinaldi

    > Yes, the news.mozilla.org alias points to a Giganews server.

    Deciding I was just being lazy by asking, I ran a traceroute after
    posting. Interestingly it is only 9 hops from here to
    news.mozilla.giganews.com . Check out the timing:

    9 news.mozilla.giganews.com (216.196.97.169) 46.051 ms * 45.836 ms

    which is a considerable improvement over

    16 IC-Netscape.atdn.net (66.185.142.102) 99.216 ms 99.234 ms 99.535 ms

    which is as close as I can get to secnews.netscape.com (204.29.187.156)
    before the ICMP packets are dropped.

    Rinaldi
    --
    "Amnesia used to be my favorite word, but then I forgot it."

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> Yes I did. I went on a search-and-destroy for anything at all called
    >>> news.mozilla.org and got everything 'locate' could find in my current
    >>> (not .old stuff), but apparently that's not enough. I just grepped
    >>> for it in my default profile, but I suspect it's showing stuff
    >>> newly-created when I re-subscribed.
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to try to kill that stuff too unless you tell me an EASY
    >>> thing to do!

    >> OK, I removed news.mozilla.org and restarted THREE TIMES before it
    >> finally died. Hard to kill, but eventually it worked. Wow. I'm glad I
    >> only had a few newsgroups to re-create.
    >>
    >> What/where was the offensive entry that managed to survive?

    > prefs.js. Unsubscribe from news.mozilla.org, then close, and open
    > prefs.js in a text editor. Remove all references to news.mozilla.org.
    > Restart and resubscribe.
    >
    > Is it easy? Well I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I'm
    > just glad its working for you.

    I saw those, but wondered if perhaps there was supposed to be in
    those entries. Fortunately Thunderbird did the deed before I ran out of
    poisoned entrails and eye of newt.

    --
    Cheers, Bev

    On 01/11/06 00:56, The Real Bev wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first
    >>> group. It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I
    >>> see all the previous messages marked as new.
    >>>
    >>> This happens with no other news server.
    >>>
    >>> There's always something...
    >>>

    >> Hi Bev,
    >>
    >> I just had the same fight with another server's messages. I went
    >> round and round for an hour until I suddenly thought to Remove and
    >> then Install anew.

    > That's what I thought, but it came back again. And again.
    >
    >> HINT: Because of my short term memory loss I first screen captured the
    >> Account Settings window to help with installing that new account. :-\

    > Sometime I need to explore whether just copying a different .newsrc file
    > and zeroing out the numbers would work. Maybe next time something burps...

    No. The problem is the server was partially duplicated in prefs.js,
    that's what you have to fix.

    Ick, happened to me once after I tried a Thunderbird 1.5-incompatible
    extension without backing up my profile because it takes a few minutes.
    Took me a few weeks to try to fix the problem, though (if you refuse to
    find out how bad a problem is, you don't /know/ that it's really bad),
    so in the future, I am always backing up. :-P
    --
    Yay!

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> I read a group. I read another group. I come back to the first
    >>> group. It asks if I want to subscribe to that group (yes) and then I
    >>> see all the previous messages marked as new.
    >>>
    >>> This happens with no other news server.
    >>>
    >>> There's always something...
    >>>

    >> Hi Bev,
    >>
    >> I just had the same fight with another server's messages. I went
    >> round and round for an hour until I suddenly thought to Remove and
    >> then Install anew.

    > That's what I thought, but it came back again. And again.
    >
    >> HINT: Because of my short term memory loss I first screen captured the
    >> Account Settings window to help with installing that new account. :-\

    > Sometime I need to explore whether just copying a different .newsrc file
    > and zeroing out the numbers would work. Maybe next time something burps...

    Hmmm...over my head again, as usual. ;-) All I can say now is *good
    luck*. :-P

    I'm fighting creation of a new Profile for TB on an Iomega floppy so I can
    test an e-mail folder from 2001 that's been suddenly tagged as having a
    virus. I can't even get that job done. ;-)

  13. Re: Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > On 01/11/06 00:56, The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    >>> Hi Bev,
    >>>
    >>> I just had the same fight with another server's messages. I went
    >>> round and round for an hour until I suddenly thought to Remove and
    >>> then Install anew.

    >> That's what I thought, but it came back again. And again.
    >>
    >>> HINT: Because of my short term memory loss I first screen captured
    >>> the Account Settings window to help with installing that new account.
    >>> :-\

    >> Sometime I need to explore whether just copying a different .newsrc
    >> file and zeroing out the numbers would work. Maybe next time
    >> something burps...

    > No. The problem is the server was partially duplicated in prefs.js,
    > that's what you have to fix.
    >
    > Ick, happened to me once after I tried a Thunderbird 1.5-incompatible
    > extension without backing up my profile because it takes a few minutes.
    > Took me a few weeks to try to fix the problem, though (if you refuse to
    > find out how bad a problem is, you don't /know/ that it's really bad),
    > so in the future, I am always backing up. :-P

    Thanks for the reminder on Profile BU Pete. That seemed to be over my
    head also. :-\

    I use RAR compressor and simply clicked on Windows\AppData\Thunderbird and
    was told "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
    another process." I didn't know we had to close TB in order to make a BU.
    :-\

    Don

  14. Re: Subscriptions in news.mozilla.org don't stick

    On 01/11/06 05:59, Don Nickell wrote:
    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> That's what I thought, but it came back again. And again.

    >>> Sometime I need to explore whether just copying a different .newsrc
    >>> file and zeroing out the numbers would work. Maybe next time
    >>> something burps...

    >> No. The problem is the server was partially duplicated in prefs.js,
    >> that's what you have to fix.
    >>
    >> Ick, happened to me once after I tried a Thunderbird 1.5-incompatible
    >> extension without backing up my profile because it takes a few
    >> minutes. Took me a few weeks to try to fix the problem, though (if you
    >> refuse to find out how bad a problem is, you don't /know/ that it's
    >> really bad), so in the future, I am always backing up. :-P

    > Thanks for the reminder on Profile BU Pete. That seemed to be over my
    > head also. :-\
    >
    > I use RAR compressor and simply clicked on Windows\AppData\Thunderbird
    > and was told "The process cannot access the file because it is being
    > used by another process." I didn't know we had to close TB in order to
    > make a BU.
    > :-\
    >
    > Don

    Yep. Since I use nightlies, I update (and have to restart Thunderbird)
    daily (usually -- I'm a day behind at the moment), so I make backups
    then. :-)
    --
    Yay!

    Don Nickell wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Don Nickell wrote:

    >>> Hi Bev,
    >>>
    >>> I just had the same fight with another server's messages. I went
    >>> round and round for an hour until I suddenly thought to Remove and
    >>> then Install anew.

    >> That's what I thought, but it came back again. And again.
    >>
    >>> HINT: Because of my short term memory loss I first screen captured the
    >>> Account Settings window to help with installing that new account. :-\

    >> Sometime I need to explore whether just copying a different .newsrc file
    >> and zeroing out the numbers would work. Maybe next time something burps...
    >>

    > Hmmm...over my head again, as usual. ;-) All I can say now is *good
    > luck*. :-P

    Each news server has a .newsrc (or similar) file which lists the newsgroups,
    the fact that you're currently subscribed, and the numbers of the messages
    that have been read. If you want to duplicate your subscriptions on Server A
    to Server B (x-privat, maybe, for when your ISP's news server is down and you
    need a fix) without going through the long selection process, it would be
    really nice if you could just copy the Server A .newsrc to Server B and change
    the numbers (which will be different on different servers. A few entries from
    my /profile.default/News/newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org file:

    mozilla.support.thunderbird:
    1-35,38-40,42,43,45-48,53-55,73,75-77,79-84,89,102,117,131
    mozilla.support.firefox: 1-40
    mozilla.support.general: 1-8

    I have read 8 messages in mozilla.support.general; accordingly, the next
    message (unread) will be 9... If we assume that these groups are carried on a
    different server, perhaps copying newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org to, say,
    newsrc-news.freenews.com would subscribe you to the previously subscribed
    groups. Or not.

    > I'm fighting creation of a new Profile for TB on an Iomega floppy so I can
    > test an e-mail folder from 2001 that's been suddenly tagged as having a
    > virus. I can't even get that job done. ;-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    O_________________________________________________ O
    "John Wayne toilet paper -- It's rough, it's tough,
    and it don't take no crap from nobody."

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Don Nickell wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    /snip/

    > Each news server has a .newsrc (or similar) file which lists the
    > newsgroups, the fact that you're currently subscribed, and the numbers
    > of the messages that have been read. If you want to duplicate your
    > subscriptions on Server A to Server B (x-privat, maybe, for when your
    > ISP's news server is down and you need a fix) without going through the
    > long selection process, it would be really nice if you could just copy
    > the Server A .newsrc to Server B and change the numbers (which will be
    > different on different servers. A few entries from my
    > /profile.default/News/newsrc-news.mozilla-2.org file:

    Linux and Mac OSX use the newsrc file. For Windows, as Don is using,
    its news.mozilla.org.rc.

    Lee

    --

    On 01/12/06 01:45, Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Linux and Mac OSX use the newsrc file. For Windows, as Don is using,
    > its news.mozilla.org.rc.

    Mm-hmm. I had thought it was different, but I didn't know for sure since
    I don't have Windows (or a Mac). Thanks. :-)
    --
    Yay!

+ Reply to Thread