Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly in these"119" NG's? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly in these"119" NG's? - Mozilla ; Hi, an appropriate first post from me, methinks: How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the number of unread messages? On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to have TB ...

  1. Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly in these"119" NG's?

    Hi,

    an appropriate first post from me, methinks:

    How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    number of unread messages?

    On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
    have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
    setting?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  2. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
    > Hi,
    >
    > an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
    >
    > How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    > number of unread messages?
    >
    > On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
    > have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
    > setting?
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Try this:
    Right click on the news group account
    (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    Select "Properties"
    Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

  3. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    RichDR71 wrote:

    > Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
    >>
    >>How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    >>number of unread messages?
    >>
    >>On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
    >>have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
    >>setting?
    >>
    >>BR,
    >>Gudmund

    > Try this:
    > Right click on the news group account
    > (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    > Select "Properties"
    > Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    > -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    > -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    > -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    > you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
    That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.

    Could this be something in the setup of the host?

    Gordon Weast

  4. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Gordon Weast wrote:
    > RichDR71 wrote:
    >
    >> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
    >>>
    >>> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    >>> number of unread messages?
    >>>
    >>> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough to
    >>> have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some (obvious)
    >>> setting?
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund

    >> Try this:
    >> Right click on the news group account
    >> (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    >> Select "Properties"
    >> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    >> -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    >> -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    >> -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    >> you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    > I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    > individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    > counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
    > That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
    >
    > Could this be something in the setup of the host?
    >
    > Gordon Weast

    Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
    The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Mozilla Champion
    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/

  5. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Gordon Weast wrote:
    >> RichDR71 wrote:
    >>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

    >>> Try this:
    >>> Right click on the news group account
    >>> (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    >>> Select "Properties"
    >>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    >>> -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    >>> -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    >>> -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    >>> you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    >> I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    >> individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    >> counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10
    >> minutes.
    >> That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
    >>
    >> Could this be something in the setup of the host?
    >>
    >> Gordon Weast
    >>

    > Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
    > The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
    >
    > Lee

    there seems to be some other kind of problem here: I've tried twice to
    reply to RichDR71's message, my reply will simply not show up!

    BR,
    Gudmund

  6. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon Weast wrote:

    >>> I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    >>> individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    >>> counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10
    >>> minutes.
    >>> That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
    >>>
    >>> Could this be something in the setup of the host?
    >>>
    >>> Gordon Weast
    >>>

    >> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
    >> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > there seems to be some other kind of problem here: I've tried twice to
    > reply to RichDR71's message, my reply will simply not show up!
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Now this reply showed up, posted after unsubscribing/resubscribing, but
    I still can't see my two earlier attempts...

    BR,
    Gudmund

  7. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Gordon Weast wrote:
    >
    >>RichDR71 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

    >>>Try this:
    >>>Right click on the news group account
    >>> (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    >>>Select "Properties"
    >>>Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    >>> -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    >>> -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    >>> -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    >>> you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    >>I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    >>individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    >>counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
    >>That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
    >>
    >>Could this be something in the setup of the host?
    >>
    >>Gordon Weast

    > Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
    > The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee,

    I didn't simply change the news server, I created a new news account and
    then subscribed to several groups. When I first set it to update after
    10 minutes, I still needed to click on the groups to get a count. Now,
    I can collapse and then open the news account and I see the new counts.

    Other general news using a different server gives me fresh counts without
    doing anything special.

    I kept the account that points to the old server. I'll delete it when all
    the postings cease or I get an error because the server goes away.

    Gordon Weast

  8. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    RichDR71 wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
    >>
    >> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    >> number of unread messages?
    >>
    >> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough
    >> to have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some
    >> (obvious) setting?
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Try this:
    > Right click on the news group account
    > (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    > Select "Properties"
    > Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    > -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    > -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    > -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    > you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    Trying to resend this reply, again...

    ....doh, thanks!

    I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
    that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!

    BR,
    Gudmund

  9. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    On 1/10/2006 5:06 PM eastern, Gordon Weast wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon Weast wrote:

    >>>I'm seeing the same problem with Mozilla Suite. I need to click on the
    >>>individual news groups under news.mozilla.org to see the new message
    >>>counts. I already configured it to check for new messages every 10 minutes.
    >>>That action doesn't appear to be taking place though.
    >>>
    >>>Could this be something in the setup of the host?
    >>>
    >>>Gordon Weast

    >> Switching the old groups to the new server causes a numbering problem.
    >> The advice given was to unsubscribe from the groups and resubscribe.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Lee,
    >
    > I didn't simply change the news server, I created a new news account and
    > then subscribed to several groups. When I first set it to update after
    > 10 minutes, I still needed to click on the groups to get a count. Now,
    > I can collapse and then open the news account and I see the new counts.
    >
    > Other general news using a different server gives me fresh counts without
    > doing anything special.
    >
    > I kept the account that points to the old server. I'll delete it when all
    > the postings cease or I get an error because the server goes away.
    >
    > Gordon Weast

    Same thing happening here, except I deleted the old server.
    CTinFL

  10. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 2:11 PM:
    > RichDR71 wrote:
    >> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> an appropriate first post from me, methinks:
    >>>
    >>> How come I have to click on this group to have Thunderbird update the
    >>> number of unread messages?
    >>>
    >>> On the secnews group, merely keeping the server "expanded" was enough
    >>> to have TB indicate any new messages coming in. Am I missing some
    >>> (obvious) setting?
    >>>
    >>> BR,
    >>> Gudmund

    >> Try this:
    >> Right click on the news group account
    >> (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    >> Select "Properties"
    >> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    >> -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    >> -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    >> -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    >> you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    > Trying to resend this reply, again...
    >
    > ...doh, thanks!
    >
    > I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
    > that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Actually, I believe that in previous incarnations, TBird set itself to
    check every 10 minutes by default. The default in 1.5, is to leave this
    unchecked. So, you may simply be a victim of your own habits. ;-)

    But you're welcome anyway.

    --Rich

  11. Re: Thunderbird not updating number of unread messages properly inthese "119" NG's?

    RichDR71 wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 2:11 PM:
    >
    >> RichDR71 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Gudmund Areskoug composed at the keyboard on 1/10/2006 7:28 AM:

    >>> Try this:
    >>> Right click on the news group account
    >>> (This will be news.mozilla.org - or whatever you renamed it)
    >>> Select "Properties"
    >>> Select "Server Settings" (from the column on the left)
    >>> -On that page is a box titled "Server Settings" (right column)
    >>> -The first item is "Check for new messages every ___ minutes"
    >>> -Check the box in front of that item and input the interval
    >>> you'd like TBird to check (I put 10 for 10 minutes).

    >> Trying to resend this reply, again...

    found the reason for my post not getting sent BTW: somehow must have
    slipped and selected the wrong From: address.

    >> ...doh, thanks!
    >>
    >> I must have gotten so used to having it turned on in the other groups
    >> that I forgot I ever made the setting. Corrected now!
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund

    > Actually, I believe that in previous incarnations, TBird set itself to
    > check every 10 minutes by default. The default in 1.5, is to leave this
    > unchecked. So, you may simply be a victim of your own habits. ;-)

    nope, still on 1.0.7. I think that default setting might pertain to
    e-mail only.

    > But you're welcome anyway.

    BR,
    Gudmund