[ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component - Mozilla

This is a discussion on [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component - Mozilla ; Hello, EclipseMozilla ( http://www.eclipsemozilla.org ) has released the first milestone of its browser component. It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse RCP applications. As such you get a great open source browser component that ...

  1. [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Hello,

    EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    milestone of its browser component.

    It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    RCP applications.

    As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.

    Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!

    Feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks and best regards,
    -Thomas Derflinger

  2. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
    statement:
    > Hello,
    >
    > EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    > milestone of its browser component.
    >
    > It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    > RCP applications.
    >
    > As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    > Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.
    >
    > Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!
    >
    > Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and best regards,
    > -Thomas Derflinger

    Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    Eclipse RCP is or stands for.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    > On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
    > statement:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    >> milestone of its browser component.
    >>
    >> It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    >> RCP applications.
    >>
    >> As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    >> Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.
    >>
    >> Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!
    >>
    >> Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and best regards,
    >> -Thomas Derflinger

    > Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    > Eclipse RCP is or stands for.

    after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following On 05/01/2008 10:33 PM:
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    >> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
    >>

    > after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

    "http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Rich_Client_Platform"

  5. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Thomas Derflinger wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    > milestone of its browser component.
    >
    > It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    > RCP applications.
    >
    > As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    > Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.
    >
    > Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!
    >
    > Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks and best regards,
    > -Thomas Derflinger

    This functionality has been available for a while.

    http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla

    I'm unclear as to why you implemented it in a new way?

    Or are you using the code we already wrote?

    Mike Kaply

  6. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Hi Mike,

    EclipseMozilla completely embeds Mozilla. That means you do not need to
    have any Firefox or Mozilla pre-installed on the system.
    So you have some plugins that contain xulrunner.
    The advantage of that is that you have complete control over the browser
    you want to use in your RCP application.

    Also, EclipseMozilla contains an editor with back, forward, refresh
    controls and an input line to enter the URL, just like a real browser.

    That´s another thing the SWT browser component does not provide.

    Also, we plan to enhance EclipseMozilla with more functionality in the
    future (see
    http://eclipsemozilla.netcipia.net/x...ain/Milestones)

    Regards,
    -Thomas

    Michael Kaply schrieb:
    > Thomas Derflinger wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    >> milestone of its browser component.
    >>
    >> It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    >> RCP applications.
    >>
    >> As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    >> Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.
    >>
    >> Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!
    >>
    >> Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks and best regards,
    >> -Thomas Derflinger

    > This functionality has been available for a while.
    >
    > http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla
    >
    > I'm unclear as to why you implemented it in a new way?
    >
    > Or are you using the code we already wrote?
    >
    > Mike Kaply

  7. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Nir wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo said the following On 05/01/2008 10:33 PM:
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    >>> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    >>> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
    >>>

    >> after looking at the site, I still don't know either.
    >>

    > "http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Rich_Client_Platform"

    incase you didn't read my posting which applies to you:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...3f5eb3630e3258

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > incase you didn't read my posting which applies to you:

    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...3f5eb3630e3258

    Are you trying to Hijack this thread, Grant??

    Daniel

  9. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    On 01.05.2008 12:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

    Eclipse RCP = Eclipse Rich Client Program

    http://www.cjug.org/presentations/20...clipse_rcp.pdf

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  10. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 01.05.2008 12:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    gotcha. Thanks

    help!!!! Emails to me may become public

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    On 01.05.2008 19:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    > Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >
    >> On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
    >> statement:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> EclipseMozilla (http://www.eclipsemozilla.org) has released the first
    >>> milestone of its browser component.
    >>>
    >>> It can be used to embed the whole Mozilla rendering engine in Eclipse
    >>> RCP applications.
    >>>
    >>> As such you get a great open source browser component that works on
    >>> Windows, Linux, and MacOS for your RCP application.
    >>>
    >>> Thus, Mozilla is further spread to the Eclipse world!
    >>>
    >>> Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks and best regards,
    >>> -Thomas Derflinger
    >>>

    >> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    >> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
    >>

    > after looking at the site, I still don't know either.

    *lol* Peter... look here, then click the *.pdf link and read the
    description! Man-oh, is that a waste of web-space!
    http://www.eclipsemozilla.org/documentation.html

    reg

  12. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    On 02.05.2008 02:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 01.05.2008 12:03, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    I have seen the light.... thanks to Jay!

    reg

  13. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Thu, 01 May 2008 14:19:59 -0500, /Michael Kaply/:

    > This functionality has been available for a while.
    >
    > http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla

    Is it possible to replace Internet Explorer with Mozilla as internal
    Web browser in the Eclipse IDE on Windows this way?

    --
    Stanimir

  14. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 01.05.2008 19:03, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Peter Potamus
    > the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
    >> Melchert Fruitema wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 01-05-2008 09:10 CET, Thomas Derflinger composed this enchanting
    >>> statement:

    >>> Congratulations. However, you did incorrectly assume that I know what
    >>> Eclipse RCP is or stands for.
    >>>

    >> after looking at the site, I still don't know either.
    >>

    > *lol* Peter... look here, then click the *.pdf link and read the
    > description! Man-oh, is that a waste of web-space!
    > http://www.eclipsemozilla.org/documentation.html
    >
    > reg

    Well at least the print was big enough I could read it without my
    glasses. ;-)
    If they had cut it down to normal text all would have fit likely on 3
    pages.

    Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9, 1.5GB Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 GHz, 2 GB OSX.4.11

  15. Re: [ANN] EclipseMozilla RCP Component

    Hello Stanimir,

    It is possible, but not yet developed.

    But it should be no big issue programming a small plugin that replaces
    IE with Mozilla in the Eclipse IDE.

    Actually, I also have thought about doing that but so far did not find
    the time to develop that.

    Greets,
    -Thomas

    Stanimir Stamenkov schrieb:
    > Thu, 01 May 2008 14:19:59 -0500, /Michael Kaply/:
    >
    >> This functionality has been available for a while.
    >>
    >> http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howusemozilla

    > Is it possible to replace Internet Explorer with Mozilla as internal Web
    > browser in the Eclipse IDE on Windows this way?

+ Reply to Thread