How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open will re-openon start-up? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open will re-openon start-up? - Mozilla ; If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the ...

  1. How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open will re-openon start-up?

    If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all
    the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to
    shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the pages
    come up again like that, without book-marking them all.

    Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    Thanks.
    Mark

  2. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Mark Aitchison wrote:
    > If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all
    > the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to
    > shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the pages
    > come up again like that, without book-marking them all.
    >
    > Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    > Thanks.
    > Mark

    SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

    Warning: Private emails to me may become public

    Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

    Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
    Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
    the Mozilla Project"

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    On Feb 13, 2008 2:31 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > Mark Aitchison wrote:
    > > If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all
    > > the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to
    > > shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the pages
    > > come up again like that, without book-marking them all.
    > >
    > > Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    > > Thanks.
    > > Mark

    > SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    > with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    > Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

    Mark specifically said Firefox. In which case the feature to restore
    tabs is part of the current release of Firefox 2. The option to
    restore the tabs can be found in Tools -> Options -> Main -> Start-Up
    -> When Firefox starts -> change the dropdown to say show my windows
    and tabs from last time.
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_diffe...Linux,_and_Mac

    If you would like more control over the restored tabs there are a few
    extensions. A quick search shows Session Manager -
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324 and Tab Saver! -

  4. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Kevin Brosnan wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 2008 2:31 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >> Mark Aitchison wrote:
    >>> If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all
    >>> the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to
    >>> shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the pages
    >>> come up again like that, without book-marking them all.
    >>>
    >>> Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Mark

    >> SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    >> with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    >> Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/
    >>

    > Mark specifically said Firefox. In which case the feature to restore
    > tabs is part of the current release of Firefox 2. The option to
    > restore the tabs can be found in Tools -> Options -> Main -> Start-Up
    > -> When Firefox starts -> change the dropdown to say show my windows
    > and tabs from last time.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_diffe...Linux,_and_Mac
    >
    > If you would like more control over the restored tabs there are a few
    > extensions. A quick search shows Session Manager -
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324 and Tab Saver! -

    you know, I looked at that 3 times, and it just didn't
    register. :-(

    Warning: Private emails to me may become public

    Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

    Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
    Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
    the Mozilla Project"

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    "Kevin Brosnan" wrote:

    > On Feb 13, 2008 2:31 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    > > Mark Aitchison wrote:
    > > > If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to
    > > > open all the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able
    > > > to find how to shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat)
    > > > and have all the pages come up again like that, without
    > > > book-marking them all.
    > > >
    > > > Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > Mark

    > > SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    > > with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    > > Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

    > Mark specifically said Firefox. In which case the feature to restore
    > tabs is part of the current release of Firefox 2. The option to
    > restore the tabs can be found in Tools -> Options -> Main -> Start-Up
    > -> When Firefox starts -> change the dropdown to say show my windows
    > and tabs from last time.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_diffe...Linux,_and_Mac
    >
    > If you would like more control over the restored tabs there are a few
    > extensions. A quick search shows Session Manager -
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324 and Tab Saver! -

    And if all that's wanted is to restart Fx without losing the tabs,
    there's QuickRestart, .

  6. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    On 13.02.2008 11:29, Q wrote:

    >> On Feb 13, 2008 2:31 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> wrote:

    >> > SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    >> > with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    >> > Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

    >> Mark specifically said Firefox. In which case the feature to restore
    >> tabs is part of the current release of Firefox 2. The option to
    >> restore the tabs can be found in Tools -> Options -> Main -> Start-Up
    >> -> When Firefox starts -> change the dropdown to say show my windows
    >> and tabs from last time.
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_diffe...Linux,_and_Mac
    >>
    >> If you would like more control over the restored tabs there are a few
    >> extensions. A quick search shows Session Manager -
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324 and Tab Saver! -
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1774

    > And if all that's wanted is to restart Fx without losing the tabs,
    > there's QuickRestart, .

    Interesting that neither Firefox or SeaMonkey possess that built-in
    feature a la File = Restart (whatever). Both Netscape 9 and Flock,
    sourced from Mozilla/Firefox have the feature. Code-sharing is/was part
    of the agreement. FF 3.0b3 doesn't either.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Jay Garcia wrote:

    > > And if all that's wanted is to restart Fx without losing the tabs,
    > > there's QuickRestart,
    > > .

    > Interesting that neither Firefox or SeaMonkey possess that built-in
    > feature a la File = Restart (whatever). Both Netscape 9 and Flock,
    > sourced from Mozilla/Firefox have the feature. Code-sharing is/was
    > part of the agreement. FF 3.0b3 doesn't either.

    No doubt the code is in Firefox, e.g. after an extension is updated,
    the 'restart' button becomes active in the add-on manager. My guess is
    that it's not in the file menu (or wherever) is because almost no one
    would ever need it.

  8. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    On 13.02.2008 15:30, Q wrote:

    >> > And if all that's wanted is to restart Fx without losing the tabs,
    >> > there's QuickRestart,
    >> > .

    >> Interesting that neither Firefox or SeaMonkey possess that built-in
    >> feature a la File = Restart (whatever). Both Netscape 9 and Flock,
    >> sourced from Mozilla/Firefox have the feature. Code-sharing is/was
    >> part of the agreement. FF 3.0b3 doesn't either.

    > No doubt the code is in Firefox, e.g. after an extension is updated,
    > the 'restart' button becomes active in the add-on manager. My guess is
    > that it's not in the file menu (or wherever) is because almost no one
    > would ever need it.

    When the occasion arises that a restart is necessary, it beats having to
    File => Exit => Dbl-click shortcut. It's also safer than simply clicking
    the X to exit which can be problematic.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  9. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Kevin Brosnan wrote:
    > On Feb 13, 2008 2:31 AM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >> Mark Aitchison wrote:
    >>> If firefox crashes I get the option when re-starting later to open all
    >>> the pages that were open. But I don't seem to be able to find how to
    >>> shut down Mozilla gracefully (to update acrobat) and have all the pages
    >>> come up again like that, without book-marking them all.
    >>>
    >>> Probably a simple question. What is the answer?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Mark

    >> SeaMonkey/Mozilla by itself, you can't. SeaMonkey/Mozilla
    >> with an extension, its possible, and one such extension is
    >> Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/
    >>

    > Mark specifically said Firefox. In which case the feature to restore
    > tabs is part of the current release of Firefox 2. The option to
    > restore the tabs can be found in Tools -> Options -> Main -> Start-Up
    > -> When Firefox starts -> change the dropdown to say show my windows
    > and tabs from last time.
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_diffe...Linux,_and_Mac
    >
    > If you would like more control over the restored tabs there are a few
    > extensions. A quick search shows Session Manager -
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324 and Tab Saver! -

    Yes, Mark did specifically say Firefox, and he did specifically say that
    the feature was available in Firefox, i.e. Quote "If firefox crashes I
    get the option when re-starting later to open all the pages that were
    open" end Quote.

    He then goes on to mention Mozilla, not Mozilla Firefox, just Mozilla,
    so I don't think it's to much of a leap of faith to think Mark is now
    talking about Mozilla THE SUITE.

    Just as Peter, correctly in my opinion, assumed in his first response,
    the Suite programs, Mozilla and SeaMonkey, do not offer this
    functionally natively.

    Daniel

  10. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Thank you to one and all... that was very helpful. It is a very useful
    feature, and ideally the messages "you are about to close zillions of
    tabs" could be avoided if it knows you are going to get 'em all back
    again. Also in an ideal world, when restarting after adding an
    extension it would switch to "restore all windows" for the next time it
    restarts, then change back to whatever it had before.

    But I'm a lot happier now, thanks again!

    Mark.

  11. Re: How do I shut down mozilla so all the pages currently open willre-open on start-up?

    Jay Garcia wrote:

    > Interesting that neither Firefox or SeaMonkey possess that built-in
    > feature a la File = Restart (whatever). Both Netscape 9 and Flock,
    > sourced from Mozilla/Firefox have the feature. Code-sharing is/was part
    > of the agreement. FF 3.0b3 doesn't either.

    Ah, but, code sharing doesn't mean that either party *must* accept it!

    As I understand it, the license that the source code is distributed
    under, requires code changes to be shared. But that doesn't mean any
    particular party is *required* to accept/use it. They are free to use
    the changes, or not. All that is required is that the changes are made
    available.

    Its just a nitpick, though. ;-)

    I do agree that it would be nice to have that function built-in to FF.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread