Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest - Mozilla ; The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0 Final Release. Submit your design ... See the two links below for details http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...esign-contest/ http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...esign-contest/ See ya ... Jay Any questions, etc. post to snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows -- Jay Garcia - ...

  1. Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    --
    Jay Garcia - Staff Member
    Netscape Communications Division of AOL

  2. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    generate the following:? :
    > The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0 Final Release.
    >
    > Submit your design ...
    >
    > See the two links below for details
    >
    > http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...esign-contest/
    > http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...esign-contest/
    >
    > See ya ... Jay
    >
    > Any questions, etc. post to
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows

    don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't they know
    that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any half-savvy user turns OFF ??

    reg

  3. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    On 11.09.2007 06:48, squaredancer wrote:

    > On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay Garcia to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0 Final Release.
    >>
    >> Submit your design ...
    >>
    >> See the two links below for details
    >>
    >> http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...esign-contest/
    >> http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...esign-contest/
    >>
    >> See ya ... Jay
    >>
    >> Any questions, etc. post to
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >>

    > don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't they know
    > that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any half-savvy user turns OFF ??
    >
    > reg

    I didn't post to argue the merits/non-merits. It's back by popular
    demand and now there IS a choice where there wasn't one before in NN 9.
    "Popular Demand" can make or break an app, like any half-savvy user
    understands.

    --
    Jay Garcia - Staff Member
    Netscape Communications Division of AOL
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  4. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    squaredancer wrote in

    > On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay
    > Garcia to generate the following:? :
    >> The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0
    >> Final Release.
    >>
    >> Submit your design ...
    >>
    >> See the two links below for details
    >>
    >> http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...pe-navigator-s
    >> plash-screen-design-contest/
    >> http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...lash-screen-de
    >> sign-contest/
    >>
    >> See ya ... Jay
    >>
    >> Any questions, etc. post to
    >> snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >>

    > don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't
    > they know that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any
    > half-savvy user turns OFF ??

    Some of us actually like to have a splash screen, so we know the
    program is actually starting up.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.I want to
    achieve it through not dying. (Woody Allen)

  5. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    On 9/11/2007 6:26 AM On a whim, Christopher Jahn pounded out on the keyboard

    > squaredancer wrote in
    >
    >> On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay
    >> Garcia to generate the following:? :
    >>> The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0
    >>> Final Release.
    >>>
    >>> Submit your design ...
    >>>
    >>> See the two links below for details
    >>>
    >>> http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...pe-navigator-s
    >>> plash-screen-design-contest/
    >>> http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...lash-screen-de
    >>> sign-contest/
    >>>
    >>> See ya ... Jay
    >>>
    >>> Any questions, etc. post to
    >>> snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >>>

    >> don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't
    >> they know that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any
    >> half-savvy user turns OFF ??

    > Some of us actually like to have a splash screen, so we know the
    > program is actually starting up.

    Yes, unfortunately even with fast machines, I don't see a program snap
    on the screen the way they used to. Sometimes they take so long on
    client machines, I think the program must have hung, so you're right in
    that regard.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote in
    >
    >> On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay
    >> Garcia to generate the following:? :
    >>> The devs have listened, the splash screen returns to NN 9.0
    >>> Final Release.
    >>>
    >>> Submit your design ...
    >>>
    >>> See the two links below for details
    >>>
    >>> http://tech.netscape.com/story/2007/...pe-navigator-s
    >>> plash-screen-design-contest/
    >>> http://blog.netscape.com/2007/09/10/...lash-screen-de
    >>> sign-contest/
    >>>
    >>> See ya ... Jay
    >>>
    >>> Any questions, etc. post to
    >>> snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.netscape9.windows
    >>>

    >> don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't
    >> they know that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any
    >> half-savvy user turns OFF ??

    > Some of us actually like to have a splash screen, so we know the
    > program is actually starting up.

    ha, interesting. We finally agree on something.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/11/2007 6:26 AM On a whim, Christopher Jahn pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote in
    >>> On 11.09.2007 00:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Jay
    >>> Garcia to generate the following:? :

    >>> don't want to dampen those guys' spirits, Jay.... but don't
    >>> they know that the splash-screen is the *first thing* any
    >>> half-savvy user turns OFF ??

    >> Some of us actually like to have a splash screen, so we know the
    >> program is actually starting up.
    >>

    > Yes, unfortunately even with fast machines, I don't see a program snap
    > on the screen the way they used to. Sometimes they take so long on
    > client machines, I think the program must have hung, so you're right in
    > that regard.

    I would take that a step further, and actually show the progress of the load operation.
    Thunderbird, for instance can take to to 15 seconds to load and start for me.
    Joe

  8. Re: Netscape Navigator 9.0 Splash Screen Contest

    On 9/11/2007 6:39 PM On a whim, JoeS pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 9/11/2007 6:26 AM On a whim, Christopher Jahn pounded out on the
    >> keyboard
    >>
    >>> squaredancer wrote in

    >>> Some of us actually like to have a splash screen, so we know the
    >>> program is actually starting up.
    >>>

    >> Yes, unfortunately even with fast machines, I don't see a program snap
    >> on the screen the way they used to. Sometimes they take so long on
    >> client machines, I think the program must have hung, so you're right in
    >> that regard.
    >>

    > I would take that a step further, and actually show the progress of the load operation.
    > Thunderbird, for instance can take to to 15 seconds to load and start for me.
    > Joe

    I think that is a great idea, showing each module as they're loaded in a
    small window. Will keep us busy until we can actually do something!

    --
    Terry R.