Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard? - Mozilla ; Tom Liotta wrote: > Oscar Madison: I keep finding little notes an my pillow! "Oscar, > We're out of cornflakes. F.U." It took me three hours to figure out > that 'F.U.' meant 'Felix Unger'. I want a divorce! > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    Tom Liotta wrote:
    > Oscar Madison: I keep finding little notes an my pillow! "Oscar,
    > We're out of cornflakes. F.U." It took me three hours to figure out
    > that 'F.U.' meant 'Felix Unger'. I want a divorce!
    >
    > (Probably poorly quoted, but I still think it's funny...)

    Indeed.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >

    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/9/2007 11:27 AM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    Just what is the "lowest common denominator"? Seems to me it would
    require an explanation of what Follow-up accomplishes.

    --
    Irwin

  3. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/10/2007 5:57 AM On a whim, Daniel pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/9/2007 2:45 AM On a whim, Daniel pounded out on the keyboard

    No, Terry, I did not share any thoughts, right or wrong! I was just
    trying to help you, but if you don't want it, then fair enough!

    Daniel

  4. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
    >> keyboard

    I think "follow-up to ..." is sufficient, although if a person is
    relatively new to newsgroups, you're right, they may not even understand
    that. There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
    activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
    useful. It seems to me this server is more intolerant of off-topic
    posts than most, which require them to be redirected to another group.
    So someone could be using other newsgroups for a long time and possibly
    never see a "follow-up to ...".

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
    > activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
    > useful.

    it wouldn't be read by the newbies.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    On 9/11/2007 7:55 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
    >> activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
    >> useful.

    > it wouldn't be read by the newbies.

    You're probably right, unless the subject read, "NEW TO MOZILLA
    NEWSGROUPS? READ THIS FIRST!", and it was posted every couple weeks.

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> On 9/10/2007 6:44 PM, Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/10/2007 2:59 PM On a whim, Blinky the Shark pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    So the solution, I think, is to continue biz as usual, and if they don't
    understand some let them ask. I don't see the problem with that.
    That's what much of Usenet, and even informal tech help groups like this
    is all about -- asking and answering. In short: learning.

    > that. There is where a monthly post (or twice a week, depending on
    > activity) regarding where the rules on this server are located would be
    > useful. It seems to me this server is more intolerant of off-topic
    > posts than most, which require them to be redirected to another group.
    > So someone could be using other newsgroups for a long time and possibly
    > never see a "follow-up to ...".

    It's a rare newb that will consult a NG FAQ before posting.

    That said, I archive and post one (in fact, it's about the group and
    posting to it, not about tech issues) to two groups myself
    (alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva).[1] That said, I
    doubt that anyone reads those, either.

    [1] I think it's an excellent posting guide. I am not the author.
    My HTML version: http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    Naturally, I post the text version.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  8. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    news99jr4-bvq.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net...

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >> keyboard

    I have to admit as a newbie, I could have done with a FAQ, or at least some
    form of message to explain how the group works. I can understand as oldies
    having posted on here for years get frustrated with how newbies behaive, but
    that's the nature of most forum/newsgroups, and it will never change, no
    mattew how much you complain. I've run a forum for 6 years, and get the same
    questions asked over and over by new members, but I look at it this way,
    even if those same questions are asked, it reminds all members, answering
    the questions shows understanding that people come on here to learn, and
    that you are the ones they are looking to for help. If all they see is a
    bunch of people nit picking, complaining, then suddenly findind they are
    getting warning letters for this and that, which they have no idea what they
    mean or why they got them, it doesnt look good. They dont get to learn, and
    then they go away not having had their problem fixed, and sometimes they go
    away with a flea in their ear. Firefox wants to be the best Browser, it is
    getting that way by word of mouth, but Firefox help is another matter. This
    could be one of the most busy newgroups going, but it isnt its quiet. It
    isnt just because poeople have problem free running browsers.

    Just my thoughts.

  9. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    On 12.09.2007 10:47, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused John to
    generate the following:? :
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    > news99jr4-bvq.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net...
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/10/2007 8:38 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    your word in the Chief of Spam Mooses' ear.... Help and Friendliness,
    combined with Understanding (we're not all Geeks, but lots of us *are*
    freaks).
    Also, remembering that there is *a Life* out there, a life that some of
    us are able to live and enjoy, may help....

    reg

  10. Re: Extension to crop an area of a webpage to clipboard?

    John wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
    > news99jr4-bvq.ln1@thurston.blinkynet.net...

    >> It's a rare newb that will consult a NG FAQ before posting.
    >>
    >> That said, I archive and post one (in fact, it's about the group and
    >> posting to it, not about tech issues) to two groups myself
    >> (alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva).[1] That said, I doubt
    >> that anyone reads those, either.
    >>
    >> [1] I think it's an excellent posting guide. I am not the author.
    >> My HTML version: http://blinkynet.net/comp/faq_aolm.html
    >> Naturally, I post the text version.

    > I have to admit as a newbie, I could have done with a FAQ, or at least some
    > form of message to explain how the group works. I can understand as oldies

    Sure. But had there been one, would you have sought it out before
    posting? Needing and acting on are actually two different things. (I
    *need* to win the lottery; I can't seem to. )

    > having posted on here for years get frustrated with how newbies behaive, but
    > that's the nature of most forum/newsgroups, and it will never change, no
    > mattew how much you complain. I've run a forum for 6 years, and get the same

    I didn't complain. I said that biz as usual is the best policy and when
    someone doesn't understand something they can ask. In a larger view
    that's how life works.

    > questions asked over and over by new members, but I look at it this way,
    > even if those same questions are asked, it reminds all members, answering
    > the questions shows understanding that people come on here to learn, and
    > that you are the ones they are looking to for help. If all they see is a
    > bunch of people nit picking, complaining, then suddenly findind they are
    > getting warning letters for this and that, which they have no idea what they
    > mean or why they got them, it doesnt look good. They dont get to learn, and

    You've seen that here?

    > then they go away not having had their problem fixed, and sometimes they go
    > away with a flea in their ear. Firefox wants to be the best Browser, it is
    > getting that way by word of mouth, but Firefox help is another matter. This
    > could be one of the most busy newgroups going, but it isnt its quiet. It
    > isnt just because poeople have problem free running browsers.

    This is mozilla.GENERAL (my emphasis). You seem to be describing a your
    expectations for a Firefox group.