Re: OT Re: AV program - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Re: OT Re: AV program - Mozilla ; Terry R. wrote: > On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard > >> Jay Garcia wrote: >>> On 30.08.2007 10:20, Andrew DeFaria wrote: >>> >>> --- Original Message --- >>> >>>> Jay Garcia ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

  1. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Jay Garcia wrote:
    >>> On 30.08.2007 10:20, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

    Actually you have it wrong as well.

    "Katrina has AFFECTED that area; but, I had no idea how much "of an"
    EFFECT Its, had!"

  2. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Terry R. wrote:

    another nit-pick: using but after a semicolon is considered
    bad. Either start a new sentence, or revising with a comma.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 9/5/2007 10:48 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    Please Phillip, you've already lost the jist of it. See my prior
    response...

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    out on the keyboard

    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the keyboard

    That's because a semi-colon wasn't needed at all. Phillip is trying to
    show us something with his "C" average in English.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    > out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    you mean American English.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    When I went to school the rules of grammar stated the only proper way to
    use "but" in a sentence is to signify a section that could if broken
    apart could stand on its own. But proper usage dictated you always used
    a semicolon before the word "but" and immediately follow it by a comma.
    Other wise it appears and sounds like a run on sentence. I came up
    through schools in the 50's and 60's. If the rules have changed then so
    be it.

    Like I said I had to work hard to maintain a C average with occasional
    bouts of B's (that more than one B - contraction . not a contraction
    for BS) ;-)

  7. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 9/5/2007 11:12 AM On a whim, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo pounded
    > out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Actually when I wen through English 64-68 If you used "But" in the
    Middle of a sentence Rules of Grammar stated you but use a semicolon
    before and a coma after Other wise the sentence would look and sound
    like a run on sentence. It also Signifies a Portion of a sentence That
    could actually stand on its own as sentence.

  8. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
    >> keyboard

    '"It's" had.' A contraction of "It is" needs the apostrophe. "Its" is
    a possessive, as in "This discussion has run its course." As opposed to:
    "It's silly to argue about its relevance to this discussion." Or,
    "It's true that its qualities lack relevance." Or, "Its lack of sense
    tells me that it's no longer worth arguing about." Kay? Oh! I had an
    Aunt Kay! 'Til she died. But it's not germane to the discussion.

    Ok, I'm feeling contraction overload.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

  9. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 06.09.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    Nitpick:
    occasional bouts of B's

    should read *without* the apostrophe, as the "B's" is meant to be a
    *plural* of B - which is the grammatical addition of an "s"

    reg

  10. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 06.09.2007 03:56, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ed Mullen to
    generate the following:? :
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/4/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Andrew DeFaria pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    tell us if it's a boy or a girl, and we'll drink to it (or even to them)
    8-)

    reg
    ps: I mean, of course, *after* the contractions!

  11. Re: OT Re: AV program

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 06.09.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    > Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    Well I meant more than one B. Sometime I would get b+ and sometime I'd
    get b - :-)

  12. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 06.09.2007 21:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 06.09.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    >> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    me, I just got downright b*****d with it all--- I still don't know the
    difference between adjectives, verbs and pro-whatsits.

    reg

  13. Re: OT Re: AV program

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 06.09.2007 21:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    > Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 06.09.2007 02:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    >>> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    Nouns
    Pronouns
    verbs
    adverbs
    conjunctions
    interjection
    prepositions

    ?? have I left anything out

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org

  14. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> me, I just got downright b*****d with it all--- I still don't know the
    >> difference between adjectives, verbs and pro-whatsits.
    >>

    > Nouns
    > Pronouns
    > verbs
    > adverbs
    > conjunctions
    > interjection
    > prepositions
    >
    > ?? have I left anything out

    Adjectives. Are gerunds separate parts? What's the name of the act of
    verbing a noun?

    I learned more English in my first French class than I EVER had before. I
    did it right, I just didn't know why.

    "We need to cut more slack for the stupid; after all, somebody has
    to populate the lower part of the bell curve." -- Dennis (evil)

  15. Re: OT Re: AV program

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    >
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>
    >>> me, I just got downright b*****d with it all--- I still don't know the
    >>> difference between adjectives, verbs and pro-whatsits.
    >>>

    >> Nouns
    >> Pronouns
    >> verbs
    >> adverbs
    >> conjunctions
    >> interjection
    >> prepositions
    >>
    >> ?? have I left anything out

    > Adjectives. Are gerunds separate parts? What's the name of the act of
    > verbing a noun?
    >
    > I learned more English in my first French class than I EVER had before. I
    > did it right, I just didn't know why.

    maybe we can take English lessons from here:
    http://www.engrish.com/ or here
    http://www.thejasper.com/Engrish/Eindex.html or
    http://www.internettrash.com/users/fupobu/engrish.html [take
    a look at the second to the last pic under Japanese toilet
    stuff] :-P

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  16. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 06.09.2007 21:42, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
    >> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

    I know what an interjection is w.r.t. speech making but what the heck is
    a interjection w.r.t. parts of speech/types of words?

    Daniel

  17. Re: OT Re: AV program

    Daniel wrote:

    > Phillip Jones, CET wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>>
    >>> me, I just got downright b*****d with it all--- I still don't know the
    >>> difference between adjectives, verbs and pro-whatsits.
    >>>
    >>> reg

    >> Nouns
    >> Pronouns
    >> verbs
    >> adverbs
    >> conjunctions
    >> interjection
    >> prepositions
    >>
    >> ?? have I left anything out

    > I know what an interjection is w.r.t. speech making but what the heck is
    > a interjection w.r.t. parts of speech/types of words?

    "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks..."

    Same in writing as in speech. For additional detail:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interjection

    If you need help with "ejaculation", you're gonna have to look it up yourself!

    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    "If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would
    be a sand shortage within ten years." -- M. Friedman (?)

  18. Re: OT Re: AV program

    On 11.09.2007 18:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    to generate the following:? :
    > Daniel wrote:
    >

    >> Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

    >>> Nouns
    >>> Pronouns
    >>> verbs
    >>> adverbs
    >>> conjunctions
    >>> interjection
    >>> prepositions
    >>>
    >>> ?? have I left anything out
    >>>

    >> I know what an interjection is w.r.t. speech making but what the heck is
    >> a interjection w.r.t. parts of speech/types of words?
    >>

    > "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks..."
    >
    > Same in writing as in speech. For additional detail:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interjection
    >
    > If you need help with "ejaculation", you're gonna have to look it up yourself!

    Bev - isn't that what happens (usually) a few months before the
    contractions start??

    me is getting real ejucated in eenglish, here!

    reg

  19. Re: OT Re: AV program [Afterthought]

    On 11.09.2007 19:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused squaredancer
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 11.09.2007 18:45, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused The Real Bev
    > to generate the following:? :
    >
    >> Daniel wrote:

    >>> I know what an interjection is w.r.t. speech making but what the heck is
    >>> a interjection w.r.t. parts of speech/types of words?
    >>>

    >> "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks..."

    "But leather! What football through yon window breaks...."
    (whereby, "yon" is not even a contraction here, but dialectal)

    << snipped >>

    reg

  20. Re: OT Re: AV program [Afterthought]

    squaredancer wrote:

    >>> "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks..."
    >>>

    > "But leather! What football through yon window breaks...."
    > (whereby, "yon" is not even a contraction here, but dialectal)

    "Behold yon Cassius, he hath a lean and hungry look."

    Is that ancient Roman or Shakespearean dialect?

    Last night I played a blank tape at full blast.
    The mime next door went nuts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast